+ Reply to Thread

Default Concerned about my hairline

Hello everyone, my name is Luis ,im from Mexico im 24 years old, almost 25 in september.

Pretty much since i turned 24 i started noticing a difference in my hairline and how it was kinda thinner. I remember when i was younger (around 20) i noticed how guys a bit older, who were in their mid 20s had a different hairline than mine. At first i didnt gave it too much importance as i tought it was just part of getting older.

However i started looking online how hair loss can begin around this age and i started to panic. To be honest im not in a good emotional state currently to suffer from hair loss. Anyway, i started thinking too much about it, all the day, and kinda started losing some hairs, maybe due to the stress of thinking about hair loss. I dont remember even before had hair loss problems that i noticed.

About my family, my old man is bald, yeah. Im not sure when his balding started. My brother, 31 year old is not bald at all and he says he has a hairline like mine that he noticed "several years" ago however i dont see anything. From my mom side, nobody is bald, none of his brothers. I mean, most of then have huge hairlines that look that they were receding over the years but none of them is full bald. Im talking about men in their 50s for the most part anyway. My grandpather from my mom side, wasnt bald either, the same, he had a receding hairline, but he was not full bald, kinda like Anthony Hopkins. When i think of full bald i thin of Danny Devito. Thats pretty much ugly bald and not, let say, Jean Reno who doesnt have much hair but it looks fine to me.

I pretty much hope that is what some may call a "mature hairline" but im not too sure anyway. It would be fine to me if it recedes over the years to a certain point but not full bald like Norwood 6. But i hope it takes a lot of years to recede like that.

Honestly i dont mind my hairline, but i dont want to use minoxidil and propecia only to make it worse. However im concered that if i dont do anyhting i will loose hair pretty fast...

My hair is pretty much the same besides the hairline. I noticed some pics when i was younger and it doenst show too much of a difference. Besides with my current haircut i dont mind it since nobody notices anything.

I dont know about the crown either.

So anyway. I went to two dermatologist. The first one checked my hair with a light. He told one told me that i had a healthy hair and that it was only in my head.In fact he insisted that i needed psychiatric help because i was seeing things that are "not there". That everyone loose at least 50 to 100 hair, that i was not "wierd". But i insisted about my hairline, that it was different and he told me that it either was from my mom or from my dad. I REALLY hope that its from my mother side. Since nobody is full bald. Anyway he told me that i had nothing to worry about it, that i had to live the life of a young man and not be concered about something that i shouldnt be.

I was a little better at first, i was happy to know that i wasnt going bald, at least not yet. But then i started to doubt and went to another dermatologist, who was also specialized in hair loss. She touched my hair, and she said that every men start to loose a bit of hair eventually, but that my hairline was a bit thinning, so my crown. However everyone see that my crown is just fine, if not "perfect". She told me to buy minoxidil. But she said, that my hair looked fine, and somehow she told me that she doesnt think that i will be bald in the future. I dont know why.

I dont know who believe. Some guys in a different spanish forum told me that i was balding, others say i was ok. I dont want to use a hair product that makes my hair worse, wich is pretty much fine currently. However i dont want to be over confident and loose hair pretty fast-

This is my hairline currently:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Crown:

[IMG][/IMG]

This is how my hair looks normally:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Please i apologize for the bad quality of the pics taken with an old device. Honestly i feel pretty much fine how my hair looks if i dont pull it back to show my hairline thanks to my haircut.

Another thing. I have noticed how some friends around my age range (23-26+) have a hairline kind of similar, so i dont know. Are we all going bald?

I dont know but its pretty big imo to be a "mature" hairline. Plus there is my dad.. so i dont know who to believe. I heard too much shit than im so confused.

Those small amount of hairs that you see, were growing thank to Minoxidil. However, like i said, if the maturing of the hairline is a normal part of aging, like wrinkles and such, then i prefer not to anyhting about it that can just make it worse. However i feer that if i dont do anyhting about it it will go on pretty fast.

I will appreciate any answer.. i dont know what to think of all of this. Not sure if really balding and being in denial or not balding and thinking i am. Like i said, one of the doctors said i was fine, the other didnt told me exactly i was balding but said i was thinning a bit.

Get on propecia as soon as possible. U r balding.

Is it the hairline, crown, how can you tell? why the doctor would tell me that im fine anyway?

I clearly see recession in the temples. I can even see the remains of your old hairline so yes, you are receding. The crown is more difficult to determine. If you can upload better photos we might be able to help you figure this out..
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Those hairs that you see were small hairs growing back due to minoxidil. But anyway yeah i noticed that it was receding.

I will go on minoxidil, no propecia or anything else, thats all i can do.

This was my crown in march with a better quality of the pic, i dont think it got any worse in 5 months...

My hairline in march:

Im not sure if it got worse within a few months. Could it be due to stress and thinking about hair loss that it can get worse? so the whole "mature hairline" is just not my case?

About my hairline chances is that it will get worse eventually? i dont get it why a dermatologist would tell me that i had nothing anyway, but after i saw him i noticed it worse.

That is how my hairline looked in march before using minoxidil. Then i started minoxidil and i noticed some small hairs growing back. I think that except for the fact that i have a bit of new hair, it looks pretty much the same.

I mean, i know the quality of the pic can be confusing, but it looks that those small hairs that you see on the temples looks like im receding. is not that those are remains, i already receded to that point since march, as you can see in the pics from march, it receded to that point, then is when i started to really get worried that i was actually balding. Like i said those are new hairs, NOT OLD HAIR from my old hairline. I pretty much lost my old hairline since march. For i can see it havent changed much within these months.

What im concerned is that it can get worse soon, however. I have to mention that this year i have been dealing with depression, anxiety, and due to hair loss i have suffering with a lot of stress wich possibly is making it worse. About the temples i never noticed anyhting but it looks pretty much the same since i was 23... specially with short hair you can tell should i be concerned about the temples too?

I ran out of Minoxidil, but i will get it back soon. However, due to those smalls hairs, it seems that it kinda works. Im not gonna take any drugs.

It's fair enough to say you don't want to take finasteride but you do realise minoxidil is a drug right. It can go systemically and it can cause side effects. Ok finasteride might make your weiner not work but minoxidil is for blood pressure and can also have detrimental effects on health. You probably know that anyway just wanted to make sure you knew after saying you don't want to do any drugs.

And those new hairs will only be growing where follicles existed previously, it does not create new follicles. So whether they are new or old they indicate where your hairline used to be.

But Yeh it looks like you have receding but your crown looks pretty good. Without taking finasteride you will keep losing hair so be prepared. Minox is fantastic at growing new hair but your follicles will still be damaged by DHT.

Of course you can always make the decision later in life if your hair means that much to take fin

Crown pic is from march. Current crown pics can be confusing due to pic quality that can make it look much worse. I cant get better quality of it. I cant tell how my crown is but everyone tell me it looks pretty much the same. However i feel that it might got worse too. However that pic was taken with a good quality but i honestly feel that it might got worse. When i see pics of my current crown it looks way worse however, those are pics with bad quality.

ayM
    It's fair enough to say you don't want to take finasteride but you do realise minoxidil is a drug right. It can go systemically and it can cause side effects. Ok finasteride might make your weiner not work but minoxidil is for blood pressure and can also have detrimental effects on health. You probably know that anyway just wanted to make sure you knew after saying you don't want to do any drugs.

And those new hairs will only be growing where follicles existed previously, it does not create new follicles. So whether they are new or old they indicate where your hairline used to be.

But Yeh it looks like you have receding but your crown looks pretty good. Without taking finasteride you will keep losing hair so be prepared. Minox is fantastic at growing new hair but your follicles will still be damaged by DHT.

Of course you can always make the decision later in life if your hair means that much to take fin
    Is not that i dont want to take medical prescripted options, or secondary effects, it is that the second dermatologist i visited told me to use minoxidil, not anything else. After all im following indications. Maybe she knows what is better in my case. If she had told me to take Fin i would, but she didnt and i dont want to use anything that is not personally recommended by a doctor.

Crown pic taken with a laptop camera now, thats about the best pic quality i can get today:

[IMG][/IMG]

Yeah that is pretty much my point, im aware that i lost my old hairline already. However i was hoping that it was the so called "mature hairline" that it seems that "everyone gets" as they get older or whatever but sadly is not my case then. I have to say, but of my friends around my age lost their previous hairline or look kinda like me, the have kind of receded hairline thatn when they were younger and it can be pretty freaking confusing. How can you tell if its just an older hairline or that we are all balding?

Reply:

Honestly i prefer not to use any more shit in my hair and ju that can make it worse and just do my best to take care of it naturally and just accept the facts. However as i can see i honestly dont think that i need it inmediatly, i am happy with the way my hair looks. The point is that genetics are against me, so i will be pretty much bald at some point in my life. However just because i have a receding hairline now it means that i will go bald soon? i dont know. It would be strange to think that i will be like norwood 6 in a few years considering that none of my older brothers is bald yet. My brother is gonna be 27 and he has a similar receding hairline yet a full head of hair. Who knows when his receding started.. And my older brother is gonna be 31 and stil has a head full of hair. So maybe this get worse later in life, god knows. Honestly if my hair holds on like this naturally for the rest of my 20s im fine. When i get older, like 35, i will figure it out what to do. I just dont want to waste the rest of my youth using shit on my head. However i might get on minoxidil just for prevention.

My wonder is judging by my hair state, how long would it take until im like bald? years, months?????
    I dont see the point in fighting aging and genetics. I think shaved and goatee wouldnt look that bad with me, considering that i can pretty much grow a Gimli beard if i wanted. But not for now i dont think shaving would be a good idea since my hair looks ok.