+ Reply to Thread

Default Quitting Minox after 15 years

Guys, a quick story.

Some 15 years ago, when I noticed I started losing hair, mainly frontal hairline and vertex, I started using 5% Rogaine. In the beginning it really helped me a lot and for years, I used it pretty regularly, morning and evening. It irritated my skin, but it was not so bad, sometimes worse, sometimes quite OK. I simply used it and since then paid not much of attention to the quality of my hair, although I heard from people that my hair improved a bit. It was just now part of my daily routine. I stopped for a bit from time to time, once for 3-4 months, but after seeing through my scalp, I got quickly back to it.

But after all these years, the positive effect weakened. My hairline pulled back slowly and finally I saw in the gym in the mirror the top of my head from behind - it looked really shitty, with big patch of almost naked skin.

So I stopped Minox for good. It did good for some time, but right now I don't think it does much for me anymore. I also shaved my head to 0.5mm. What a relief! Now I see how much I lost in the recent years, but the dreaded bald head is much better than weaker and weaker patches of longer hair, seeing through skin - I just looked much weirder than with shaved head and stubble.

Anyway - why am I writing this. The itching caused by my allergy to Minoxidil alcohol compound stopped completely. Now I am using Nizoral 2% (I know, nothing much to gain with this) and also I eat capsules and/or drink a tea from herb Epilobium parviflorum, based on some info on various hairloss forums. Nothing more, although I will try for a month or two the regimen from Herbaliser, described here on this forum - it looks quite interesting, so I will give it a shot.

But after I shaved my head to 0.5 mm, after a couple of days I noticed many small hair between more longer ones. These are dark like my original color, not vellus, but they seem very small and I don't think they grew much. After 3 weeks that I "discovered" those, they should be almost 1cm long, but they are still like 1-2mm. Did I shave badly? But they do not grow. I am not sure, is it some kind of regrowth? They do not grow on bald spots, only between other hair, where I lost so much ground and where I am thinning very badly.

And I also noticed a couple of new terminal hairs in front of my hairline, but just a 2-3. Never been there anything for years. Strange. Anyway, my hair looks terrible, I am something like very solid NW4, with no complete bald spot on vertex, but going there with intense thinning.

Anyone experienced some regrow after quitting Minox?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    This is interesting. I wonder if you are seeing regrowth from the other things? For example, Nizoral does have anti inflammatory anti itch and anti androgen properties to it.
    I am not sure that what I am seeing is regrowth.

Frankly, after quitting Minox and having long hair for like year before, I am not sure whether my hairline didnīt recede quickly and what I am seeing on front side are a couple of remaining hairs.

But what are those small hairs between longer hair? I see dozens of them. Maybe some resetted hair after Minoxidile hair fell out? This is puzzling. To my knowledge, I never had small hair of my color that doesnīt grow and stay at 1-2mm.

So that was basically the reason I asked if someone had similar experience after quitting Minox after such a long period of time.

Reading this makes me want to stop minox...only been using it for soon 4 months and I see no improvements no hair regrowth my hair actually looks thinner especially on the sides near my Crown area its weird...I havent had any "dread shed" or anything at all...no side effects either and I have been applying up to 7-8ml once a day...the shit dont work for me?? I used the liquid for 1 month then the foam for 3 months..I even dermaroll my scalp almost everyday...I Think I will stop what you Think? im just gonna stick to RU from now on....doubt minox does much for me anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Soonbald View Post
    Reading this makes me want to stop minox...only been using it for soon 4 months and I see no improvements no hair regrowth my hair actually looks thinner especially on the sides near my Crown area its weird...I havent had any "dread shed" or anything at all...no side effects either and I have been applying up to 7-8ml once a day...the shit dont work for me?? I used the liquid for 1 month then the foam for 3 months..I even dermaroll my scalp almost everyday...I Think I will stop what you Think? im just gonna stick to RU from now on....doubt minox does much for me anyway...
    I am not sure. I can tell Minox helped me in the beginning, my hairdresser complained about "too much thickness", but the effects waned out. Funny, I also never had a shed, or I never had been conscious of one. But hair fell out, allright. I experienced it mainly when having long hair into ponytail or a bit shorter, when I ran through my hair, too many hair stuck in my hand. After I stopped Minox, I counted once like 20 hairs and I didnt even pull too much. After that, I said to myself, what the hell and stopped worrying about that.