How exactly does a hair transplant help? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default How exactly does a hair transplant help?

Hey.

I'm new to the topic of hair transplants.

My question is, for someone who is gradually balding in the hairline and the crown, is it best that he waits for his baldness to progress completely before deciding to do a hair transplant?

If someone knows that he *will* go completely bald (NW7 say), is there any use in getting a hair transplant when it's just begun? If he keeps getting transplants like this for every bit of hair he loses, what is the use? Eventually he would have spread out the little amount of good hair all over his scalp.

(I see pictures of patients who got a transplant for a receding hairline and they look great. But how are they sure more hair won't fall off? what will they do if it does?)

Thank you

This is the inherent issue, or one of them, that every hair tranpslant patient must consider. Hair loss is progressive and with the right medical therapy loss can be greatly slowed or even stopped and this is what should be done before surgery is ever considered. I always used to tell patients when I was a consultant, you have to be ready for the prospect of "when" you need another hair transplant, not "if". It doesn't mean it will always happen but odds are, it will.

Now, if loss is just starting and it is a matter of milde recession then one must work with their doctor to determine if it is worthwhile to move forward surgically, assuming all other options have been exhausted. If surgery is deemed to be worthwhile then a plan should be made incorporating just enough grafts to address the issue at hand without robbing the future. It's a balancing act that we all go through so in the end, once you are educated enough, you are the only one that can determine if it is indeed worthwhile or not.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Couldn't agree with Joe more. The only clinics that will perform HT's on people JUST BEGINNING their hair loss journey are usually the main chain clinics that just want money and will most likely butcher you. I know first hand, as this has happened to me. If you are starting to become a bit diffused in the MPB prone areas or receding a tad, or just thinning a bit in the crown and you go through with an HT in any of those areas out of desperation, I would prepare yourself for devastation. Most ethical clinics will not touch you. The doctors that do are not really looking out for you in the long term, just want some quick money and will leave you in a very, very depressing and tricky situation.

I literally had a full head of hair. I can provide pics, directly from the HT doctor if you wish. I was thinning only in the left temple and a bit in the crown. I knew very little about HT's and was idiotically sold into one. It was the WORST decision I have ever made, hands down. 1.5 years of sickening depression and 4 months of therapy and I am still dealing with it. They did 900 grafts in the left hair line area, center and a bit behind that. Every native hair that they transplanted into is dead. I am left with, for some reason a 5 inch scar, and half my head looking different than the other half. I suffered horrible TE afterwards and lost 50% of my hair all over my head. Now what do I do? I am diffused thin every where, which is not ideal for a transplant. I have to try to hide the transplants because to me they don't look normal. I can't get additional transplants because I have NO idea the route my hairloss will take.

The point of my sob story is this... WHY would ANYONE want to undergo HT surgery if not ENTIRELY AWARE the future direction of their hairloss? Why would any ETHICAL clinic even perform such a surgery? I know why the unethical one's do... to get quick cash, and manipulate you into coming back and back and back for future surgeries, which means more business. It's absolutely disgusting and it sickens me to my stomach. I soon became aware that the same clinic that did mine, did an HT for another gentleman, who was also devastated by the results. He was thinning in the crown. They put like 600 grafts right in the thinning area. Like myself, he got TE from the trauma and started to thin all around the transplanted area. In his own words, the recipient area and around it just looks funny. Stay on this forum. Listen to people like Joe. Consult your dermatologist and general doctor. Consider fin and minox, even at low dosages and see how you react. Listen to the BTT radio show. Research the top IAHRS doctors and even consult with them... Learn from people like and the thousands of others who have destroyed their hair by becoming desperate...BECOME EXTREMELY EDUCATED AND MAKE PLANNED OUT, LOGICAL DECISIONS.

Doctor Representative

Agree with the above replys - additionally no one knows where your baldness will end, which is why it is important to realistically plan an 'end game' if you can. By that I mean what can you envision your ideal hairline, style, cut, etc...in 10 or 15 years time?

In my own situation, I wanted a mature look and appropriate hairline - one that would not look out of place on a normal 65 year old male. I achieved that with planning and execution. I could have started this 30 years ago and probably today would have been unhappy. But I am very satisfied. Research, study, ask, and decide.
    I am the Global Online Representative for Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Thanks guys for the replies.

So from what I can gather:

if you know you will go completely bald (say NW-7) and have just begun balding and are at a stage when it shows, it is a good idea to get a hair transplant *only* if you take finasteride and minoxidil *and* also know (from using them for a while) that they work on you.

Is that right?

In either of these two cases, you are basically f**ked then (assuming you will go fully bald without any action):
    - if you don't want to use fin because you are afraid you will go impotent
    - if fin doesn't work on you

I'm personally worried about side effects of using fin.

If you're worried about fin and have a decent head of hair, or are simply diffused thinning... then the chance of a hair transplant f*cking up your life is very good... look at a more recently posted thread on here that's entitled, "3500 grafts, looks worst 5.5 post op than pre-op"... this is almost exactly what happened to me (just in a different region of the scalp), it is what's happened to thousands and thousands of people that have bought into a transplant at the wrong time... you ever see guys who have a lot of recession, have maintained that for years and are slick bald in both temples? or slick bald just in crown, or crown and temples... THOSE are the ideal HT candidates, given they have maintained what they have through fin and minox, have a good donor supply and are realistic with their expectations.

(sorry if duplicate. older message didn't appear)

thanks for the clarification!

I don't understand how some guys have the bottle to try fin. I mean even if there is a 1% chance of sexual side effects, it's still a big deal. It's like a flipping a 100 faced coin hoping that one face won't show.

do most people on this forum use fin?

I am 28 years old, I have severe balding in the front as well as on the entire top of my head, in zones number 1+2+3+4+5+6. My hair was transplanted in the course of 3 days, exactly 3,620 Grafts, with the S.H.E. (Single Hair Extraction) method at PHAEYDE Clinic, in Budapest. In reality, I did not select the better method because I wanted very dense hair, rather so the donor area would also be nice and tolerable in the future. Progress had to be made very slowly, because supposedly, in the case of such a large quantity, it is important to strive for not too many unusable hairs. At least that is what I was told. Unfortunately, as a crane operator, my job requires me to wear a protective helmet at all times, therefore I must pay higher than average attention to air my head more from now on. The procedure was not brief. Unfortunately, I cannot hope for a very dense result, because I did not have an extra dense donor area, thus the result will not be extra dense either, since on an area of this size as many as 7-9 thousand grafts could be transplanted. Perhaps, I will return for some densification one day. But I will be satisfied even if the top of my head will not be completely bald. I know that it will not be extra dense, but at least I will have some hair.