+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hey Desmond very interesting!

We clearly see that hair regeneration knowledge goes exponential and quite fast. There's no reason for it to slow down so it's sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I saw this too, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. The lauster team reported they created 10,000 follicles from 30 biopsies that can be implanted on human scalp. Last I heard they were looking for funding. Anybody know what happen?
    No, the whole funding issue is definitely overrated. I actually brought up funding with Dr Lindner and he assured me they have enough financial backing to carry out the preclinical work. They just haven't been able to create a viable hair follicle from expanded DP cells. It seems the DP cells need to be in a perfect environment to proliferate and unfortunately creating that perfect environment has proven elusive indeed. But at least a handful of teams around the world are actually working on this very issue and they present their findings at the Hair Congress annually. Let's hope they don't take much longer though, since all of our patience are wearing thin

Quote Originally Posted by lacazette View Post
    Hey Desmond very interesting!

We clearly see that hair regeneration knowledge goes exponential and quite fast. There's no reason for it to slow down so it's sounds good.
    Yes I know! I was pretty surprised myself how little we knew about hair follicles in the 90s and how little work was carried out on hair regeneration. Last few years have been blockbusters for hair regeneration with 3D scaffolding Jahoda's hanging drop model, Tsuji's hair germ method etc etc.

Many stem cells blogs including Dr Atala are estimating the first patient to receive a fully functional kidney grown in a lab by 2025. I think we will see hair regeneration in human subjects a bit sooner than that <fingers crossed>

Hi Desmond. When ready will their treatment be via injection? Or growing hair follicles in a lab & transplanting into scalp?

By the dr. Lauster team

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Hi Desmond. When ready will their treatment be via injection? Or growing hair follicles in a lab & transplanting into scalp?
    Tbh Renee, the answer revolves around how soon they can expand human DP cells in a lab. The latest theory is human DP cells lose their trichogenicity (hair inducing properties) when they leave the ECM (extra-cellular matrix) which is a fluid they are bathing in at the hair shaft. When we extract the DP cells from the hair shaft to expand them in the laboratory they lose all their hair inducing properties. We need to find a way to produce this soup of chemicals making up the ECM and then bathing the DP cells inside it on a 3D scaffold. This will provide us with viable DP cells which will be replicating themselves. Once we can produce millions of DP cells with 100% trichogenicity, we simply place them on top of Keratinocytes and voila hairs will be growing in a matter of days. The hardest part has been finding all the chemicals making up the ECM and scientists may crack it at any point.

Tsuji and many others have shown that if you have trichogenic DP cells, the rest of hair regeneration is pretty much automatic. Look up the hair germ method as an example. We are stuck on this one final step. And 2 teams at the congress assured me last year we are merely 1 or 2 years away from solving this problem.

102 years? I best get on some supplements But that's a really great way to have it explained!

Of course once they are able to do that, it needs to undergo clinical trials for 5-7 years before it becomes commercially available to public.

Thank you for your prompt informative response. I found the below from pubmed.gov published on June 29,2015. Your thoughts?

Wnt1a maintains characteristics of dermal papilla cells that induce mouse hair regeneration in a 3D preculture system.
    Dong L1, Hao H1, Liu J1, Tong C1, Ti D1, Chen D1, Chen L1, Li M2, Liu H1, Fu X1, Han W1.
    Author information

Abstract
    Hair follicle morphogenesis and regeneration depend on intensive but well-orchestrated interactions between epithelial and mesenchymal components. Therefore, an alternative strategy to reproduce the process of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction in vitro could use a 3D system containing appropriate cell populations. The 3D air-liquid culture system for reproducibly generating hair follicles from dissociated epithelial and dermal papilla (DP) cells combined with a collagen-chitosan scaffold is described in this study. Wnt-CM was prepared from the supernatant of Wnt1a-expressing bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BM-MSCs) that maintain the hair-inducing gene expression of DP cells. The collagen-chitosan scaffold cells (CCS cells) were constructed using a two-step method by inoculating the Wnt-CM-treated DP cells and epidermal (EP) cells into the CCS. The cells in the air-liquid culture formed dermal condensates and a proliferative cell layer in vitro. The CCS cells were able to induce hair regeneration in nude mice. The results demonstrate that Wnt-CM can maintain the hair induction ability of DP cells in expansion cultures, and this approach can be used for large-scale preparation of CCS cells in vitro to treat hair loss. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
    Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM View Post
    102 years? I best get on some supplements But that's a really great way to have it explained!
    Hahaha sorry that was a typo :P I just fixed it