+ Reply to Thread

Default Very new to all this, need some help!

Hi,

So for as long as I can remember I've always had quite a high hairline and thin ish hair. I've always been quite self conscious of it as well as I'm actually training to be an actor and the anxiety obviously makes it all worse, I have included some pictures and wondered if anyone could tell me what stage I might be at? My dad is bald and unfortunately we don't know his side of the family however I seem to have inherited a lot of genes from my grandad and in his wedding photo he's my age (22) and our hair looks identical! He's got a receding hairline but he always had hair, in fact he's in his mid 70s now and still has hair. It's the same case with my uncles on that side of the family.

Also could anyone let me know about what kind of medication would be best? I currently use the Alpecin shampoo which works well but makes my hair feel so dry! Apparently you can get prescriptions from the doctor to help? (UK)

http://imgur.com/a/VGWFR

Thanks

P.s it also doesn't help that I have a naturally massive forehead anyway! And also I have a patch at the back of my head that is literally a different colour to the rest of my head...You can't really tell in the picture but it's significantly lighter apparently...

Alright well in terms of medication you can get Finasteride from the GP (although you can purchase generics online with a prescription) and minoxidil. These are the only 2 medications we currently have for hairloss and that's a sad state to be in 2015. I would recommend you read up on finasteride in this forum as it can be a life long commitment and can have side effects. Usually the 2 work best together but finasteride is what hits MPB at the route. Alepcin shampoo is almost pointless to be completely honest with you.

The crown does look lighter and that could be hairloss as well but we are going to need better pictures I'm not so good with stages of hairloss but the earlier you get on medications the better.

Hello Perryhype.
    Welcome to the forum!
    In your case it looks like NW-3V.
    It is hard to say anything about the progress of your hair loss. You see, some men like your grandad, can experience thinning but still have hair till their old age, others are not so lucky, and they can be already bald in their mid 20s.
    I don't trust all these shampoos or herbal treatments that claim to treat hair loss. The only remedy I use is finasteride.