+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ok I find the infos, on the igem exhibition website.

Here is their team registration page for the event :
    http://igem.org/Team.cgi

And when you click on "about our project form", you'll get that : http://2015.igem.org/Safety/About_Ou...t?team_id=1674

"The main goal is to degrade DHT (Dihydro-testosterone), which causes male baldness. We are planing to do this by cloning the 3-alpha-HSD gene () from Rat liver origin into E.Coli and B.Subtilis. This enzyme converts the substance into it's inactive and safe form.

We plan that the bacteria will be applied onto the scalp with a special comb.

How would your project be used in the real world?
    In a consumer product that ordinary people buy

Regular lab strains: E.Coli: top10, DH5alpa, BL21
    B.Subtilis: PY79

There's also on the page the names of the 5 instructors and the 10 students

Quote Originally Posted by lacazette View Post
    Ok I find the infos, on the igem exhibition website.

Here is their team registration page for the event :
    http://igem.org/Team.cgi

And when you click on "about our project form", you'll get that : http://2015.igem.org/Safety/About_Ou...t?team_id=1674

"The main goal is to degrade DHT (Dihydro-testosterone), which causes male baldness. We are planing to do this by cloning the 3-alpha-HSD gene () from Rat liver origin into E.Coli and B.Subtilis. This enzyme converts the substance into it's inactive and safe form.

We plan that the bacteria will be applied onto the scalp with a special comb.

How would your project be used in the real world?
    In a consumer product that ordinary people buy

Regular lab strains: E.Coli: top10, DH5alpa, BL21
    B.Subtilis: PY79

There's also on the page the names of the 5 instructors and the 10 students
    ok, so they trick the E.coli into producing a new enzyme which degrades the DHT. this sounds exactly like what we need finally!
    if this would work with a vehicle like the follicept gel this would truely be a revolution in prevention of MPB.
    BUT: could it also have a positive effect on bald skin, too? if you constantly remove the DHT from the miniaturized follicles over many months or even a whole year, would they come to life again?

Do we know how far along they are? and yeh the E.coli has been modified so that it produces the enzyme to break down DHT. I assume the comb is needed because its an organism so I'm not sure how that will work with follicept. And who knows about the miniaturised follicles. The only time I've seen a nw5 go to nw2 is in transgenders. But I've always thought we have got to a point now where you can inhibit almost all DHT with dutasteride - And I still see people lose hair.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    ok, so they trick the E.coli into producing a new enzyme which degrades the DHT. this sounds exactly like what we need finally!
    if this would work with a vehicle like the follicept gel this would truely be a revolution in prevention of MPB.
    BUT: could it also have a positive effect on bald skin, too? if you constantly remove the DHT from the miniaturized follicles over many months or even a whole year, would they come to life again?
    Yes it could sound huge, if this works, it could mean no more DHT in all our follicles. And the 3D printing they're talking is for the perfect vehicle to bring that killer anti dht bacteria into our follicles.

I hope as you questioned, that it will be capable to help miniaturized to grow back again, but even if not, it will be great also for big Norwoods who want to go the transplant route, and in the future in combination with SM/piloscopy/histogen, etc

I'm a severe Norwood 4, so if that thing work, and could really slow the baldness, It could convince me to go for a more aggressive HT, and not be scared to become a Norwood 7 in a few years. It could save a lot of us for some years, and help waiting more peacefully the neogenesis cure hehe

but wait, they're not going to inject the bacteria itself. the bacteria (e.coli) is used to generate the new enzyme in large amounts, so that the enzyme itself can be injected into the scalp. an enzyme is practically a cluster of different molecules, relatively large in size.
    IGF1 (from follicept) is also made by e.coli. those little bacterial bastards are just used as biological work horses ;-)

would be interesting for how long these enzymes can last in the scalp, or if they are transported from the blood and going systemic. then of course, we would have the problem that the DHT dissappears from other regions in the body as well. that would be a bad sideeffect. but we don't know nothing about it yet. let's see

No amount of tinkering with DHT will actually solve the problem. How does something marginally better than finasteride get this much praise?

Sigh.

LOL

NEXT

cmon fg8s get rekt

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    No amount of tinkering with DHT will actually solve the problem. How does something marginally better than finasteride get this much praise?

Sigh.
    hasn't the problem of finasteride always been that it lowers scalp DHT only up to 50% or so? it doesn't block it completely, that's the main issue. also the systemic side effects of course. if this technion stuff acts locally only, and can eliminate all DHT, then it's a big deal, no?

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    hasn't the problem of finasteride always been that it lowers scalp DHT only up to 50% or so? it doesn't block it completely, that's the main issue. also the systemic side effects of course. if this technion stuff acts locally only, and can eliminate all DHT, then it's a big deal, no?
    Well it could mean something. I mean there is a reason NW7s still have hair on the back of the head. Basically donor region. Those hairs are DHT immune. So if they could immunize us with this comb then it could mean something. Not sure how much it would do with regrowth.

Not sure if I'm right but iGEM exhibiton is on Sept 24th, am I right?

This is snake oil. The solution to pattern baldness will come from one of the following sources:

1. Dr christiano & dr jahoda
    2. Ips cells ( combination of dr. Xu & dr. Terskikh research or dr. Tsuji or other Japanese research teams involved with ips cells)
    3. dr george cotsarelis wounding method along with topical drug combo
    4. US gov't & wake forest collaboration.
    5. Replicel
    6. Shiesheido
    7. Dr. Lauster's team