Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TinTin
    • Jul 2015

Does MBP always start at the hairline?

I'm just turning 34 years old and I've been very slowly going bald at the crown and spreading outwards for the past 6 or so years, but my hairline isn't receding yet as far as I can tell (touch wood).

Is that MBP or something else as everywhere I read seems to say that the hairline starts going first? Also I keep hearing things like 'an under-active thyroid can cause hair loss' so I'm just trying to figure my balding out before jumping on fin.

I'll go see my GP but thought I'd get any options form you guys first.

Cheers
  • Trenblastoise
    • Jul 2014

A good clue about how your hair will be is to look at the males in your family:

Your father, your mother's father and her brothers if any.

As far as I know, hair loss in males is usually androgenic alopecia. I haven't heard of anyone losing hair due to their thyroid, but I don't doubt it is impossible, I just think most likely it is your androgens causing your hair follicles trouble.

Good luck anyway.

Comment

• Vic
      • Apr 2014

An over active or under active Thyroid can cause hair loss.

Hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid condition) can cause weight gain, dry and flaky skin, thinning hair and eyebrows, and puffy eyes. But there are ways to look your best, including moisturizing creams, hair and scalp treatments, and makeup and grooming products.

Comment

• TinTin
        • Jul 2015

Thanks Vic, yeah I'm still having trouble differentiating between 'other type of hair loss' and MPB, I do honestly suspect MBP really but my mum does have underachieve thyroid so that's why it's 'thrown me off' really.

Comment

• burtandernie
          • Nov 2012

Is your mom bald? if she isnt then that might be an indicator you have MPB and the thyroid issue is not that relevant. Women go bald just like men if exposed to androgens or other problems.

Comment

• TinTin
            • Jul 2015

She's definitely thinning for a woman, but not bald, she has hair but it's thin.

Comment

• TinTin
              • Jul 2015

I read just now that thyroid thinning would be thinning all over the scalp not just the top. My thinning is really just the top, as the back of my head has normal thickness.

Comment

Working...