+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

@FooFighter: it was a bit of irony in your post? If not, luiza is right. We don't expect a cure for everything here, we are here in expectation for cure for baldness, so I don't know why you came onto a subject of a kind of immortality. In my opinion, diseases can't be treated only in the so-called objective perspective and compared like things separated from the dimension of humans' perception. Of course, balding can't lead to death by its own, but, in combination with a certain type of psychological structure, it may literally ruin one's life and induce multitude of psychological problems. We are here, because each of us has experienced its devastating power.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Why don't you move to North Korea and valiantly volunteer yourself?
    Because I'm not a criminal.

What does the future hold for IPS cells?
    Right now it takes a lot of time, money and labour to reprogram cells. In our study, each intervention costs 20 million yen ($200,000) per eye and will take 10 people a year to complete. However, my research uses “auto-transplantation”, in which the iPS cells come from the patient. The possibility of “allogeneic” treatment, in which iPS cells from one person could be used in many people, could reduce the cost tenfold.

iPS cells are made by injecting several “reprogramming” genes into adult cells that have been removed from the body. This makes them rewind to an embryonic state. Then, we can make iPS cells differentiate into the cell type we need by injecting proteins that instruct embryonic stem cells to become liver, retina or any other type of cell. The idea is that these reprogrammed cells can then be inserted in the body to replace damaged cells. We are at least 20 years from any clinical treatments, but the potential is exciting.

20 years I believe refers to: The greatest barrier to iPS cells being used to treat diseases of other organs is the difficulty of growing large quantities of cells. The retina only needs one dish of cells. To replace part of the liver or hip would require thousands of times as many.

Hopefully hair-oss will be sooner.

I believe hair requires two types of cells : dermal papilla & epithelial.

This is what dr. Terskikh is trying to test in humans after having successful hair growth in mice using human ips cells. Looks like japan is at the forefront in ips technology, I wonder if any researcher there is testing or planning on testing in humans.

I also think dr. Christiano's & dr. Jahoda's method can come sooner and be safer. If they figure out how to retain the full gene expression instead of the 22%.

According to the below Chinese researchers have maintained gene expression in 3d cultured papilla cells:

Wnt1a maintains characteristics of dermal papilla cells that induce mouse hair regeneration in a 3D preculture system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26118627

Dong L1, Hao H1, Liu J1, Tong C1, Ti D1, Chen D1, Chen L1, Li M2, Liu H1, Fu X1, Han W1.
    Author information

Abstract
    Hair follicle morphogenesis and regeneration depend on intensive but well-orchestrated interactions between epithelial and mesenchymal components. Therefore, an alternative strategy to reproduce the process of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction in vitro could use a 3D system containing appropriate cell populations. The 3D air-liquid culture system for reproducibly generating hair follicles from dissociated epithelial and dermal papilla (DP) cells combined with a collagen-chitosan scaffold is described in this study. Wnt-CM was prepared from the supernatant of Wnt1a-expressing bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BM-MSCs) that maintain the hair-inducing gene expression of DP cells. The collagen-chitosan scaffold cells (CCS cells) were constructed using a two-step method by inoculating the Wnt-CM-treated DP cells and epidermal (EP) cells into the CCS. The cells in the air-liquid culture formed dermal condensates and a proliferative cell layer in vitro. The CCS cells were able to induce hair regeneration in nude mice. The results demonstrate that Wnt-CM can maintain the hair induction ability of DP cells in expansion cultures, and this approach can be used for large-scale preparation of CCS cells in vitro to treat hair loss. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
    Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Because I'm not a criminal.
    No, but you just happen to advocate inhuman treatment for your own selfish gain---without contributing anything meaningful yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by luiza View Post
    Well, I don't know what you are doing in this part of the forum then. If you don't think hair loss deserves any attention, why are you in this website, by the way?? There will always be someone in a worse condition than ours, but it doesn't mean we don't have the right to be sad for this.
    My friend had cancer and her first reaction when she found out was "omg, what about my hair?" Haha she said it was the worst part.
    I didnt say that you dont deserve atention, but i am not gonna crying all day or lock in house, because i have MPB. That is secondary thing in my life. If i can get back my hair then is awesome, if i cant then its ok. I am not gonna drink drugs for depression just for my hair, lol! There are more important things in life than just hair.