Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joachim
    • May 2014

hemophilia cure through iPSC and CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing

not hair-related (not yet) but for those who are interested in iPS cell and gene editing: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0723125501.htm

that's a huge breakthrough in my opinion. iPS and gene editing technology will lead to one cure after another in the coming years.
    and yes, it was done in mice for now, but those two new biological technologies are said to work in all organisms, as they alter the very basic cells and especially the genetic code of cells. and we all know that the genetic code is the answer and cure to every disease.
    one day it will be possible to modify the bad genes responsible for hair loss as well. of course, too late for us, but the day will definitely come, probably sooner than everyone would expect. i think we will see many many breakthroughs and even full cures for many diseases in the next 5 to 10 years. however, wide adoption and commercialization is probably 15 to 20 years away, mainly because of laws and bureaucrazy.

that kind of biological breakthroughs are impressing, which makes it even more unbelievable that we still don't have better hair solutions yet.
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

Originally posted by joachim
    not hair-related (not yet) but for those who are interested in iPS cell and gene editing: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0723125501.htm

that's a huge breakthrough in my opinion. iPS and gene editing technology will lead to one cure after another in the coming years.
    and yes, it was done in mice for now, but those two new biological technologies are said to work in all organisms, as they alter the very basic cells and especially the genetic code of cells. and we all know that the genetic code is the answer and cure to every disease.
    one day it will be possible to modify the bad genes responsible for hair loss as well. of course, too late for us, but the day will definitely come, probably sooner than everyone would expect. i think we will see many many breakthroughs and even full cures for many diseases in the next 5 to 10 years. however, wide adoption and commercialization is probably 15 to 20 years away, mainly because of laws and bureaucrazy.

that kind of biological breakthroughs are impressing, which makes it even more unbelievable that we still don't have better hair solutions yet.
    Mice?

Why not take a bunch of death row inmates and experiment on them. For once they'd contribute to society.

Comment

• luiza
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by joachim

That's good. It will also help people with alopecia universalis, I think.
      I can't wait 20 years though none of us can.

Comment

• Renee
        • Jul 2015

Ips cells were injected into a 70 year old persons eye in japan in 2014. I think it's time to inject it in a bald scalp.

Comment

• luiza
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Renee
          Ips cells were injected into a 70 year old persons eye in japan in 2014. I think it's time to inject it in a bald scalp.
          Really? So these therapies are already allowed? How well did it work? Do you have the link for this? Thanks

Comment

• FooFighter
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by luiza
            Really? So these therapies are already allowed? How well did it work? Do you have the link for this? Thanks
            Most of the stem cells therapies are tested on mice, but when they are tested on humans they give poor results. We still dont know a lot of things about them and count that every therapy must spend a lot of years in clinical research and trials, so probably we are 50 years away from succesfull stem cell therapies in reality.

Read this article

Comment

• luiza
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by FooFighter
              Most of the stem cells therapies are tested on mice, but when they are tested on humans they give poor results. We still dont know a lot of things about them and count that every therapy must spend a lot of years in clinical research and trials, so probably we are 50 years away from succesfull stem cell therapies in reality.

Read this article

http://www.medicaldaily.com/stem-cel...ding-so-344380
              I just read it and it doesn't say anything about being 50 years away from that. It actually sounds really optimistic. Why do you think that? Medicine is getting more and more advanced quickly.

Comment

• walrus
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hellouser
                Why not take a bunch of death row inmates and experiment on them. For once they'd contribute to society.
                Why don't you move to North Korea and valiantly volunteer yourself?

Comment

• FooFighter
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by luiza
                  I just read it and it doesn't say anything about being 50 years away from that. It actually sounds really optimistic. Why do you think that? Medicine is getting more and more advanced quickly.
                  First of all, all scientist sound very optimistic, but on mice and of course “ 5 years cure“.

People must die from something, so there gonna be NO cure for every disease. And if its gonna be cure for most diseases they will be subject on political and ethical debate, because earth is over populated. Long life means a lot more people on earth.

MPB is not life treating disease, so people here should stop crying like babies, because Hollywood makes them feel bad. I should take them in cancer or cardiovaskular hospital to see what are real problems in life when you have 35 years and can’t move from the bed.

Comment

• luiza
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by FooFighter
                    First of all, all scientist sound very optimistic, but on mice and of course “ 5 years cure“.

People must die from something, so there gonna be NO cure for every disease. And if its gonna be cure for most diseases they will be subject on political and ethical debate, because earth is over populated. Long life means a lot more people on earth.

MPB is not life treating disease, so people here should stop crying like babies, because Hollywood makes them feel bad. I should take them in cancer or cardiovaskular hospital to see what are real problems in life when you have 35 years and can’t move from the bed.
                    Well, I don't know what you are doing in this part of the forum then. If you don't think hair loss deserves any attention, why are you in this website, by the way?? There will always be someone in a worse condition than ours, but it doesn't mean we don't have the right to be sad for this.
                    My friend had cancer and her first reaction when she found out was "omg, what about my hair?" Haha she said it was the worst part.

Comment

• Arieux
                      • Jun 2015

@FooFighter: it was a bit of irony in your post? If not, luiza is right. We don't expect a cure for everything here, we are here in expectation for cure for baldness, so I don't know why you came onto a subject of a kind of immortality. In my opinion, diseases can't be treated only in the so-called objective perspective and compared like things separated from the dimension of humans' perception. Of course, balding can't lead to death by its own, but, in combination with a certain type of psychological structure, it may literally ruin one's life and induce multitude of psychological problems. We are here, because each of us has experienced its devastating power.

Comment

• hellouser
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by walrus
                        Why don't you move to North Korea and valiantly volunteer yourself?
                        Because I'm not a criminal.

Comment

• Renee
                          • Jul 2015

Luiza here are 2 links of ips cells tested in humans:
                          Masayo Takahashi is planning to be first to put reprogrammed adult cells in people – another milestone in stem cell history

Comment

• Renee
                            • Jul 2015

What does the future hold for IPS cells?
                            Right now it takes a lot of time, money and labour to reprogram cells. In our study, each intervention costs 20 million yen ($200,000) per eye and will take 10 people a year to complete. However, my research uses “auto-transplantation”, in which the iPS cells come from the patient. The possibility of “allogeneic” treatment, in which iPS cells from one person could be used in many people, could reduce the cost tenfold.

Comment

• Renee
                              • Jul 2015

iPS cells are made by injecting several “reprogramming” genes into adult cells that have been removed from the body. This makes them rewind to an embryonic state. Then, we can make iPS cells differentiate into the cell type we need by injecting proteins that instruct embryonic stem cells to become liver, retina or any other type of cell. The idea is that these reprogrammed cells can then be inserted in the body to replace damaged cells. We are at least 20 years from any clinical treatments, but the potential is exciting.

20 years I believe refers to: The greatest barrier to iPS cells being used to treat diseases of other organs is the difficulty of growing large quantities of cells. The retina only needs one dish of cells. To replace part of the liver or hip would require thousands of times as many.

Hopefully hair-oss will be sooner.

Comment

Working...