+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hairpiece advice

Hi all,

Ive been wearing a piece for about 3 weeks now and its been an up and down ride. Ups are due mainly because the piece is pretty awesome and it seamlessly blended in with existing hair. But im struggling to keep the bond on for long. I get 4 days max with a decent strong tape (cost me £9 per 3 yard roll). My scalp is natutally oily but I make sure that upon attachment, my scalp would be clean and dry. And also when I sleep, the piece moves as I lie on my back with the back of my head resting on the pillow ultimately pushing the piece forwards. Does anyone have any advice? Will glue be better for me? A mixture of both ?

Thanks in advance!!

Is the piece attached to hair at any point, this can move pieces around.

Whats the estimated bond time of the adhesive you are using?

Difficult to advise you without additional information:
    1. Lace or UTS? If lace, does if have poly on the perimeter?
    2. Brand of tape? Width of tape?
    3. Where on the the hairpiece do you apply the tape?
    4. Describe how you attach after applying the tape. Do you start at the front moving towards the back?
    5. What do you mean by "pushing the piece forwards?" Does the piece actually detach moving up the back of your neck and down your forehead towards your eyes? Or does it seem to "wrinkle" on your scalp?
    Without knowing more I would not suggest a "hard bond" with liquid adhesive until you have pursued other solutions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Im currently using Walkers no shine bonding tape. Estimated bond time is about 2-3 weeks. Im wearing a lace base with poly perimeter.

When I got my hair cut in, the stylist didnt cut all of my hair at the top. He left about quarter of an inch of hair when he put my piece on. Is it adviseable to shave my head?

What I meant by the piece moving forward is that it wrinkles at the back. It would stick to the front and the back just wrinkles heavily.

I put the tape on the edge of the poly, I stick the back end first then go to the sides the put the front down. I know the tape is good as it is a pain in the ass to clean. Its just keeping it on my scalp!

Your tape should be ok. Many people use the Walker brand.

You state that your hair is 1/4" long. How much hair (density, thickness) do you have? Ideally tape (or adhesive) works best on bare scalp. If you are attaching over dense hair growth the bond will be weak. Ideally you want to maximize tape to scalp contact.
    Last edited by lvlace; 07-24-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: more info

My hair density is still pretty good round the back area. Maybe I just need to shave off existing hair and try it if it works better.

Thanks!

And also, what advice would you give when fitting the piece? I kinda struggle in placing my piece on correctly. I know I probably just need more experience in fitting but my placement is so inconsistent!

Quote Originally Posted by Theschemer View Post
    My hair density is still pretty good round the back area. Maybe I just need to shave off existing hair and try it if it works better.
    If you have existing hair under the tape along the back/sides, shaving that hair should help. You will then have scalp to tape attachment without any interference from the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Theschemer View Post
    And also, what advice would you give when fitting the piece? I kinda struggle in placing my piece on correctly. I know I probably just need more experience in fitting but my placement is so inconsistent!
    Attaching with consistent success does take time. I have been wearing for almost 10 years. I only attach from "front to back." I cannot imagine starting at the back. Much easier from the front because one can easily see the starting point and keep the "side to side" axis parallel to the eyes and thus not lower on one side. When I attach I mark the starting point on my forehead (center) with a finger nail indentation. The most forward point of the hairpiece is then attached to that indentation. Looking straight ahead into a mirror I check to make sure I am not "tilting" the piece to the left or right (parallel to my eyes). I then attach along the hairline to the left and right of the starting point maintaining side to side tension to prevent wrinkles. I then look the at center of the back of the hairpiece making certain that it is centered relative to my head. Maintaining tension on the lace the towards the back and some tension to the sides (to prevent wrinkling) I attach the sides and finally the back. With some practice it is about a 15 second process (not including the time required for tape/adhesive application) and it is very accurate. I rarely miss.

The starting point is key. If one then avoids any left or right tilt and centers the back of the hairpiece relative to one's head the attachment process with some practice becomes quite routine.

I have a slight variation on that which you might find useful. I put tape around the back and sides of the unit. I leave the backing still on the scalp side of the tape, but just turn back a corner on each piece of tape closest to the front of the unit. Then I put two small pieces of tape (about a square centimetre each) a third of the way back from the front of the unit, one on each side of the base, just in from the main ring of tape. Again, just fold back a corner on each square.

Then, I position my hairpiece to the exact position I want it. It is easy to move around, since all the tape still has its backing on. The hairline must be in the right place, but equally the base must not overlap your real hair at any point. Once you get it where you want it, you hold it firm with your hand at the back, flip up the front and pull the backing off the two one-centimetre square pieces of tape. Then smooth the front of the piece down again. The two squares stick to your scalp, and provide a stable location for the rest of the piece. Then you flip up the back, pull off the rest of the backing tape, and carefully roll the base down into position. Then flip up the front again, pull the backing off the rest of the tape at the sides and apply those. Be careful not to stretch them apart, otherwise you will get wrinkles at the hairline. Finally, clip the loose front lace back with a bar grip, apply glue to the area (you can mark it out with fingernail marks), let it dry, and then carefully lay the hairline down.

Works for me every time.

Keep your ball on the 3D track at high speeds while avoiding obstacles in the slope game. This game improves visual perception and concentration.