+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default thoughts of a balding teen

Hello y'all,
    I'd like to share some of my thoughts with y'all. I'm a 18-years-old balding young man from germany, who obviously suffers from his hair situation. I'm a NW3 already and I sometimes feel discriminated against by other teens saying things like "you like a grandpa already" or "what do you actually do with your hair?" As you can surely imagine, my self esteem and all the confidence I have recently left, especially since I fall in love with a girl of my class, who's surely the most perfect girl I'll ever meet, but simply doesn't have the same kind of feels.
    I don't know but if I had to determine why she isn't interestes, I'd probably say my hair. Since Follicept set all my hopes high and seems to have failed now, I recognized that there isn't any hope no more for anything to improve my ****ing situation until 2018 Replicel, which will even be the release date if we assume that everything works out.. But now tell me, how can I go through this 3 (!!!) years? ((

Hi...I started loosing my hair when I was 17,along time before the internet existed.I ended up with a mature hairline right up until I was in my late thirties when I started thinning more.When I was 42 I started to panic,read a lot of stuff on the internet,went on propecia,which I deeply regretted,but that's another story.
    What I'm trying to say is it might take years to loose any more hair.Try shaving your hair off you might find you look good,a lot of younger shaved heads look fantastic.I'm to old now to look fantastic,but I look okay with a shaved head,but then most men my age are bald or balding,it gets easier the older you get.
    When I look back on photos I had a lot more hair than I thought at the time,so don't panic.
    If the girl doesn't like you because you have a bit of hairloss she's not worth having,you've a whole life ahead of you,so just do your best to enjoy it.
    Don't do anything drastic,you may regret it,remember a hairloss cure might only be a few years off,who knows..
    Live life to the full

Options:
    Fin --> stabilisation/ regrowth after 1,5 year --> transplant --> 3-5 years new treatment.
    RU --> stabilisation/ regrowth after 1,5 year --> transplant --> 3-5 years new treatment.
    Nothing --> You'll go bald depending on your family history, no treatment will probably come to market that reverses it all in the next decade.

Good luck.

As for the girl part: plenty of more fish in the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by baldingdawg View Post
    Hello y'all,
    I'd like to share some of my thoughts with y'all. I'm a 18-years-old balding young man from germany, who obviously suffers from his hair situation. I'm a NW3 already and I sometimes feel discriminated against by other teens saying things like "you like a grandpa already" or "what do you actually do with your hair?" As you can surely imagine, my self esteem and all the confidence I have recently left, especially since I fall in love with a girl of my class, who's surely the most perfect girl I'll ever meet, but simply doesn't have the same kind of feels.
    I don't know but if I had to determine why she isn't interestes, I'd probably say my hair. Since Follicept set all my hopes high and seems to have failed now, I recognized that there isn't any hope no more for anything to improve my ****ing situation until 2018 Replicel, which will even be the release date if we assume that everything works out.. But now tell me, how can I go through this 3 (!!!) years? ((
    Oh I definitely feel your pain. I am a girl and my hair started to fall when I was 14. I was even asked if I had cancer and people used to laugh and tell me I had less hair than their grandma. Teens are stupid and mean and no matter what you do, they will always find a way to make you feel bad cause that's their way of making themselves feel better. Bring you down so they will feel like they are on the top.
    I also feel your pain when you talk about the girl you're in love with cause I was in love with a boy when I was 16 and he dumped me when my situation (hair) got to it worst.

I know you're feeling less than the rest but you're not.

I'm also tired of waiting for a cure and I don't think I'll be able to wait for this long, so I'll probably go into the hair systems route until a full cure can bring all my hair back.
    I know that men are more skeptical when it comes to hair systems cause it is literally a modern wig glued to your head. But it does look natural and if you place it right no one will be able to tell you're wearing one. But only do it if you know you won't feel paranoid and afraid someone finds it out. If you think it will actually be a hassle I advice you to just shave your head and wait. Or you can use concealers but I would never do it myself cause I like going to the gym and I know my sweat would make it run down my face lol

Good luck and if you want to chat about it you can add me as your friend here I've been in your shoes and I still am.

And yeah, dus is right. You can do a transplant if you have good donor area! But I think he is wrong when he says nothing will come out soon. Replicel is definitely coming and I think it will work. But don't keep waiting, we never know what is about to happen..

This isn't an emotional support group, this is a forum for discussing upcoming treatments not crying about how much you get rejected. There's a place for that so take this convo elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by gainspotter View Post
    This isn't an emotional support group, this is a forum for discussing upcoming treatments not crying about how much you get rejected. There's a place for that so take this convo elsewhere
    Yeah, preferably a womans forum, you actually get sympathy there, men are excluded from that.

Hello y'all,
    I was pretty damn close to your situation. I'm 26 now. I was starting to notice my hair loss by the time I was 16/17. It was a little bit easier to hide in high school because I had/have curly hair. This was no shock to me because my dad was completely bald by 21 and his dad by about 30. My moms dad lost hair at a "normal rate" and was bald by 60 or so. My dads and moms brother both have full heads of hair into their 50s. So I was put on fin at 17 and stayed on it until I was about 20/21. It helped, but it will come with a little sides. Hard to notice the sides when you have been on it for a while, and then you see it actually was effecting you when you are off of it for some time. At least that is how it went for me. I will say that I would love to have my hair all the way back, but you can still do ok without it. 99.9 percent will look better with it, myself included. Hit the gym, do well in school, land a good job, don't be a loser lol and the rest will fall in place. I have had not nearly the problem I thought I'd have with women. Still probably could do better with hair but am mostly satisfied still without it when it comes to all of that. I won't lie to you and tell you it will be easier. The younger you are losing your hair, the more the women will care. As you get older it will become less of a big deal (still a big deal to some but I find that they are less in number the older you get.) Just hang in there more than likely we will have something tangible and effective sooner rather than later.

Yeah like other users already said, wrong forum. That being said, I sort of feel your pain. I'm not a NW3 yet (something like a NW2.5 I think) but I started balding when I was 16 y/o (I'm 17 now). It sucks a lot but we, the generation that just started balding, could be one of the first generations that have a legit shot at keeping all our hair forever. That is, if we get lucky with the timeline of future treatments.

In the meantime, get on treatments. You need a bit of luck with getting a doc that is willing to prescribe you fin though if you are under 18. My derm was crazy enough to prescribe me dutasteride when I just turned 17 so I guess I was pretty lucky.

Hello y'all,
    Hi, I've been there and I feel your pain. I'm 23 and started balding at 16. With minox and fin I've managed to keep most my hair but the balding process hasn't stopped. My advice is, study, be passionate about your hobbies and interests, go to the gym and stay healthy. Meditation can help a lot to ease your anxiety and to see the world in a more optimistic way. If you become a confident interesting man in good shape and passionate about life you wont have any problem with women when you get older. Also, don't make the same mistake as me, don't get on fin. Try RU and minox.

I wish you lots of luck. If you feel depressed or need to talk to someone about this send me a message.

By the way, English is not my first language so excuse my grammar.