+ Reply to Thread

Thread: serious itching

Default serious itching

Well here it goes guys. Sorry for all the questions, but being sunday I cannot get in touch with my doc from the procedure.

my scalp is beginning to dry out and itch something serious. I am using a conditioning, relatively expensive shampoo (Pantene ProV) on it and have been spraying on graftcyte (at least until i ran out yesterday), but I feel that the healing process has begun in full...

BUT I need to at least MANAGE this itching...it is driving me crazy and I do not want to scratch my itchy scalp while i sleep and ruin something up there. So is there anyone out there who has had the same problems? If so, what were you told to do? I read here that I can use hydrocortisone ointment, and being a military medic I can testify that my scalp is not infected or inflamed (the two reasons why the doc in the url above stated that they will refrain from giving someone cortisone cream.

I guess I am just looking for a way to make this as bearable as possible and try not to hurt these grafts I paid 12g's for...
    Can I get your experiences and opinions?

Thanks a million guys and I am looking SO forward to seeing this in three-four months...

I’m very surprised that your surgeon did not provide his cell phone number in case of emergencies or post operative questions like this one. Has he called to check in after your procedure at all?
    Dr. Bernstein is an IAHRS hair transplant surgeon so what he writes can be taken as solid advise. Good luck with your healing!

well I have looked but cannot find the number anywhere...the surgeon gave it to me but I was still drugged on valium when I got home so I could have laid that thing anywhere...looked but to no avail.

So is there a place where dr. bernstein has posted an answer to this question? I have run a search of the forums but found nothing... :/

I've been using a spray bottle with a mixture of 1% cortisone and warm water to continually spray my hair down after an initial "caking" of the stuff (genly, of course) on my scalp. My transplant was done on this past thursday, so I have only had 3 days and wish to be very careful not to hinder/kill graft growth or worst of all have them fall out...but I am seeing the scabs beginning to slowly turn a mild gold color (because they are moist from the spraying). If i had the copper/zinc oxide mixture they had originally given me, I'd probably still use it, but alas I don't have it :/

My hopes are to find something that will allow me to be comfortable AND maximize the survival rate of the implanted hairs. Thanks for your reply though my good man...I'll continue searching...I'm just so afraid that, even being as careful as I have been, I am going to do something to compromise them (either scratching my scalp while sleeping or putting something on that is not a good idea) I am currently doing things I have read on the inet, so I understand that some helpful advice can be found, but want a second opinion as to the best course from a doc/veteran on this site who has had similar probs because frankly I trust you guys MUCH more than a google search. We bald guys take care of eachother

Thanks again

Justin

TRY Morrocanoil. It helps to sooth the scalp. With out being greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Well here it goes guys. Sorry for all the questions, but being sunday I cannot get in touch with my doc from the procedure.

my scalp is beginning to dry out and itch something serious. I am using a conditioning, relatively expensive shampoo (Pantene ProV) on it and have been spraying on graftcyte (at least until i ran out yesterday), but I feel that the healing process has begun in full...

BUT I need to at least MANAGE this itching...it is driving me crazy and I do not want to scratch my itchy scalp while i sleep and ruin something up there. So is there anyone out there who has had the same problems? If so, what were you told to do? I read here that I can use hydrocortisone ointment, and being a military medic I can testify that my scalp is not infected or inflamed (the two reasons why the doc in the url above stated that they will refrain from giving someone cortisone cream.

I guess I am just looking for a way to make this as bearable as possible and try not to hurt these grafts I paid 12g's for...
    Can I get your experiences and opinions?

Thanks a million guys and I am looking SO forward to seeing this in three-four months...

can i buy this stuff at the store?
    the doc i saw didn't make me cut my hair (2-3 inches long) and, after reading today that i should be using petroleum jelly on my scalp to keep it from drying out...god knows if any of these things I am doing are GOOD for my scalp--i hope so.
    It's good to have someone give me a bit of an idea as to what is helpful and will help me to achieve the best results...
    I'm looking forward to seeing about this oil you are telling me about. Thanks buddy

Fuzzy,
    The last post looks like spam to me so don’t waist your time. You should look at the list of IAHRS doctors here and give one a call. Just explain your situation I’m sure either one of the doctors or their staff will get on the phone and tell you what you need to do.

Did fuzzy ever stop the itching?

blah blah blah blah
    Last edited by fuzzy; 01-21-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Cool

well blow...I must say I am glad to have you fellas on here noticing my posts

as far as the itching...it has SLOWed, but certainly not abated. I can say, though, that the petroleum jelly mistake was actually kind of a good kind of f-up from what mike at PAI told me. He said that he would not recommend me caking it on again, but DID note, at day 4 (today, the 21st, is day 6) my healing seems to be going extremely well. Approximately 1/3rd of all my scabs have fallen off with another 1/3rd barely hanging on. Together, we attributed it to the jelly's full 36 hour stranglehold, its CONSTANT moistening effect on my scalp, and the subsequent 12 30-minute showers I took in attempt to wash it off. Apparently all that activity was good for the scalp? He said the constant light massaging probably helped blood flow too...so I guess we'll see.

I did bump my head yesterday getting into the car, though, which caused a little bleeding (i think it dislodged a graft, but it is still there and healing again). Of course I wigged out like a little girl initially (no offense to you ladies on here), but it has since stopped aching and seems to have a new, very light crust around the incision.

I'll post updates...but so far I am very happy with the results (i see these little bitches growing all over my scalp!). I understand that PAI is considered by some on here to be a kind of "hair mill", but I feel these people are very accomodating--Mike (the owner of Nashville PAI) called me back to set up an appointment the same night I posted this question...and it was actually early morning.

Well, back to searching these forums and asking a few more questions. Now I just have to find a way to cover up the shock loss I will most likely experience while I am still stationed up at Scott AFB. two more weeks of RnR left...so hopefully everything will be in line by then.