Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adam1988
    • Jul 2015

staring finasteride

Im picking up a prescription for finasteride 1mg tabs on monday, ive been indecisive about using it, and have been doing alot of reading (here and else where online) and it is a head **** making the decision.
    I have a receding hairline and i think im thinning else where on top, im hoping to maintain what i have and hope fully get a HT in the future....unless something better comes avaliable

Typing ' hair loss, finasteride or hair transplant into a search engine and then trying to find answers is not fun! As you prob all know

Id like some advice on how i should go about my trial month with finasteride, should i break the pill to start with a lower dose? Ive read that lower doses can be effective?
    Should i stop immediately if i experience side effects?

Hope i can get some advice, thank you
  • BudskiiHD
    • May 2013

I started with 0.25mg twice a week and then after some weeks I was on 1mg/day

Comment

• Artista
      • Apr 2010

Adam, How old are you? How much hairloss would you say that you've experienced so far?

Ive been on 1mg per day of Finasteride for almost 2 years now.

It IS making a difference and there have been NO bad side effects either ...

Comment

• adam1988
        • Jul 2015

Hi, thank you for replying,
        im 27 and well i think since i turned 24 ish my hairline has been receding, but only the past year its began concerning me.
        Its probably receded about an inch in the corners (temples have gone) and the middle has receded about 5-10 mm.
        when i look closely at my hair it looks finer and less hairs in general.

So u think easing myself on to it is safer?

Thanks.

Comment

• JayM
          • Apr 2015

It's a safe drug so it doesn't really matter. If easing yourself onto it helps you not worry then that's always the most important thing

Comment

• adam1988
            • Jul 2015

Thank you, im a kinda anxious person so it might help.

What were your experiences?

Shedding is one thing that scares me quite a bit, worried that ill shed loads then not grow back

Im a physically fit guy, 12 1/2 stone and lean.
            I work out 4-5 times a week (weight and body weight training) which i really enjoy. Id hate to get gyno and not be able to wear a vest in the gym...is this a possibility?

Thank you again for your advice, as i dont know anyone who uses finasteride personally, its good to interact with someone who does.

Comment

• adam1988
              • Jul 2015

I feel i should add that my area of hairloss im most concerned with is the front ( hair line)
              Feels like its receding by the hour at times
              ive always had fair hair and it might appear worse as a result of that.

The crown of my head doesn't seem to be thinning.

Thanks.

Comment

• JayM
                • Apr 2015

Well I've been taking it for about a year now. 20 y/o and I do a lot of weight training but my goal is mass not so much being lean haha. If anything it's helped me in the gym. Gyno is so rare to be honest and if you get it the chances are you will get the other sides beforehand so I would assume you would stop anyways.

I am an anxious person but ironically I didn't really worry about fin haha but I know where you are coming from. As you are from England if money isn't an issue, do it through your GP. Ask for a few check ups, blood tests ect so you know what's happening. It might help put your mind at ease. Once your at ease then get cheaper fin

I have no thinning in my crown either and It has stopped my hair receding (touch wood). I currently take 1.25 fin a day. 4 days on 1 day off (just because I can't be arsed to cut into 5ths haha). I didn't really have a shed but I think that was because my crown was doing alright haha. I haven't seen any one take fin and get a shed like the ones you get on minox anyway.

Comment

• Johny41
                  • Dec 2014

Hi adam,
                  I've started fin with 1 mg dose. Taking the lower dosage could be just ineffective (it depends on your condition). Surely you can try to take half of the pill or to take 1 mg EOD, but you may not notice any improvement during the first month. It takes up to 3-6 months to see any results.
                  As about the side effects, I can tell that I haven't experienced any sexual problems or gyno, but from what I have read here, these side effects if occur, then pass away with some time. You can try, but if you notice something severe, you can stop the treatment.

Comment

• Artista
                    • Apr 2010

Hi Adam,
                    sorry that I was not able to be on here when you had responded.

My wife were very busy the last few days...
                    ]Yes~ it IS safer for you AND your hair to NOT become stressed over that, [U]or anything else in life.
                    ALL things in life can be worked out in one way or the other.
                    Acceptance IS key in making sure that you live a GOOD LIFE for whatever reason.
                    If you could, do not focus too much on your hair.
                    Yes, take a look in the mirror after showering, preparing for the day, etc.
                    But you dont want to assume anything that would cause you to become worried and concerned.
                    No worries my YOUNG friend, I WISH I were your age because I have no doubt that
                    there WILL be very good advancements in hairloss treatments....maybe some type of cure too
                    BUT we cannot hold all of our hopes and desires waiting for any of that !

Stick around here with us buddy.
                    IF you become worried do not hesitate to talk with us all.

Comment

• Artista
                      • Apr 2010

Hi Adam,
                      sorry that I was not able to be on here when you had responded.

My wife and I were very busy the last few days...
                      Yes~ it IS safer for you AND your hair to NOT become stressed over that,or for anything else in life.
                      ALL things in life can be worked out in one way or the other.
                      Acceptance IS key in making sure that you live a GOOD LIFE for whatever reason.
                      If you could, do not focus too much on your hair.
                      Yes, take a look in the mirror after showering, preparing for the day, etc.
                      But you dont want to assume anything that would cause you to become worried and concerned.
                      No worries my YOUNG friend, I WISH I were your age because I have no doubt that
                      there WILL be very good advancements in hairloss treatments....maybe some type of cure too
                      BUT we cannot put all of our hopes and desires on hold waiting for any of that !

Stick around here with us buddy.
                      IF you become worried do not hesitate to talk with us all.

Comment

• adam1988
                        • Jul 2015

Thank you all so much for replying, sorry ive not been on for a few days, just been busy, also trying not to focus too much on my hair.
                        which isnt easy lol

So it got to monday and i decided id wait, so ive not picked up my prescription yet, I seem to go through stages of not wanting to take it and then wanting to take it...and i guess this uncertainty and fear has kept me from it so far.

A while ago i had a consultation with a hair transplant clinic and that was an experience...im not sure how reputable their surgeons are but the consultant/salesman did his best to instil the belief that the results would be good. All the while my doubts about success and whether it would meet my expectations were there.

It feels a bit like a gamble, taking medication and/or hair transplants...all the uncertainty about results is as stressful as the hairloss its self lol.

So i should have my testosterone, estrogen and dht levels monitored by my dr? Before and during the use of Fin'?

That would prob ease my mind a little, are there 'safe/healthy' hormone levels that i should stay within?

Thank you again people

Comment

• adam1988
                          • Jul 2015

Thank you, they are kind and wise words

Comment

• adam1988
                            • Jul 2015

Not sure if anyone looks at this thread, but i thought id add that ive just taken my first 1mg propecia tablet, guna see how i get on with it.

Hope i don't shed too much or get gyno lol

Comment

Working...