Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodnor
    • Feb 2014

Proscar + Antibiotics? (clindamycin)

Hi, I'm sure the fin + antibiotics question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything related in the search bar.

So I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday and the doctor prescribed me some antibiotics (clindamycin) to take for 7 days, three pills (300mg each) a day, every 8 hours.

So I was wondering if taking antibiotics would cause any kind of hairloss? Considering I'll be taking around 900mg a day and only for 7 days?

Also is it recommended to stop taking fin while on antibiotics?
  • woodnor
    • Feb 2014

can anybody help?

Comment

• JayM
      • Apr 2015

Did you not mention that you are taking fin before having the op or to your doctor? I always tell who ever it is that I am taking it. Not only for my health but for the women doctors/nurses ect.

But I'm sure you can take antibiotics and fin I don't think they cause hairloss either.

Comment

• woodnor
        • Feb 2014

Nope, I kinda forgot to ask... but thanks for answering though!

Comment

• Johny41
          • Dec 2014

Hi,
          I haven't had such a situation, but according to drugs.com clindamycin is not included into the list of drugs that interact with finasteride.

Comment

• woodnor
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Johny41
            Hi,
            I haven't had such a situation, but according to drugs.com clindamycin is not included into the list of drugs that interact with finasteride.
            Hi, yeah I too tried to find any drug interactions on sites like that but haven't found any, either. I was just wary of taking the antibiotics just cause I had heard before they can induce/accelerate MPB or something

Comment

• Johny41
              • Dec 2014

Hei woodnor,
              What have you decided? Have you taken the antibiotics? Please, let us know about your experience.

Comment

• woodnor
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Johny41
                Hei woodnor,
                What have you decided? Have you taken the antibiotics? Please, let us know about your experience.
                Hi, well it seems there is not enough info on the web about this. I have read before that acne antibiotics can cause hairloss, and I think that's because the acne treatments require you to take the antibiotics for more than 3 months.

So I think that maybe if you take antibiotics for a long while it may induce "reversible hairloss" like telogen effluvium, though I wouldn't risk playing with that (I've read before that some people don't regrow the antibiotics hairloss).

Anyway, after giving it much thought I figured that I'd rather take the antibiotics for a week than risk getting an infection on my tooth sockets, which would probably result in taking MORE antibiotics for MORE weeks... After realizing this, taking the antibiotics was a no-brainer. I stopped taking them last Thursday, I don't think I have lost any hair yet.

Comment

Working...