+ Reply to Thread

Default introducing myself

I'm 24 and balding, I guess I didn't really notice until about 18 months ago seriously and hadn't really bothered me. However it then started falling out. I started on Propecia a year ago and about 6 months ago on Regaine.

I think maybe the balding has slowed but I do notice everytime I rub the regaine into my hair I pull a dozen or so out in the morning and the evening. I do wonder if the regaine is also causing hair loss as I don't know if this was happening when I was only on propecia. However I guess the rubbing my hands through my hair probably causes this! I am debating giving up on the regaine and just cracking on with the propecia. I guess there is not much else I can do from a medical point of view

I am probably a Norwood II or III.

I work in a sector where appearance is important and I would like to go about getting a hair transplant. It has caused a lot of lost confidence in the later hours of the day - I realise I can't get it all back but improving the density at the front would be fantastic. As I live in England I would obviously would look at Farjo although I would be happy to go to the states although the relative of strength of the pound makes this slightly pricier.

I guess I've done my research. I don't get sucked into any stupid treatments and a hair transplant has been on my mind for a while and I'm fairly set on it as an idea. Obviously I don't know how far my hair loss will go and I'm mindful of Dr Farjo's assertion that generally I should wait. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

I'll try and post up some pictures of the hair loss over last 12 months.

If you dont think you will stick with the rogaine, you might as well quit now, since you havent been on it that long. I would suggest sticking with it, and at least giving it a full year to work, or maybe applying it once a day at night. My suggestion to you is to NOT get a transplant at 24. Just keep using the products you are using, and try your best to keep this out of your mind (easier said than done), realize you lose 100 hairs day, so 12 at a time is reasonable, and dont get a transplant until 30 or later. And keep in mind that there may be new treatments in the next 5 years.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is not just your age that is important. If you are asking about hair transplantation in a conservative manner that will look good now and in the future, then maybe a transplant is a reasonable idea. Is there going to be a more important time in your life than now when you are still young? The foam Rogaine can be used effectively at night only. I would definetly recommend continuing the Propecia.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

If you post some photos I would be glad to give you my opinion and recommendation for hair transplantation. My clinic and I am sure several others offer travel reimburesment. However, if you decide to stay more local with Dr. Farjo, I am sure you will be pleased. He does excellent work.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It is not just your age that is important. If you are asking about hair transplantation in a conservative manner that will look good now and in the future, then maybe a transplant is a reasonable idea. Is there going to be a more important time in your life than now when you are still young? The foam Rogaine can be used effectively at night only. I would definetly recommend continuing the Propecia.
    I am just curious Dr Charles, do you recommend using the rogaine foam at night only. I've been using it for about 2 years twice a day. Should I drop to using it just once?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I am using the Regaine Extra Strength liquid spray that is available in Britain. It recommends twice daily usage (once in morning, once in evening) and recommends keeping it dry for 40 minutes minimum. I have no idea how effective it is in comparison to Rogaine foam, except that England being England things like Propecia and Regaine seem to cost more in pounds than they do in dollars.

Obviously I would love to get a full head of hair back but I am fairly realistic and realise its better to live with balding now than a ridiculous looking transplant in 20 or 30 years.

Here are two pictures from the last few months. I've taken pictures every month for the last few months to try and get an idea of how effective any treatments are. I do have some from about a year ago which I will also upload which should show the receding over the past 12 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aug09.jpg

Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	3476   Click image for larger version

Name:	jan10.jpg

Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	3477  

I might put you at Norwood 4 right now. If you use rogaine and propecia religiously, and assuming they work for you, you may be a good transplant candidate, assuming you have a decent donor supply and scalp laxity. Dr. Charles is a very good doc.