+ Reply to Thread

Default Is my hair thinning or is it all in my head?

To start, I'm 18 and have always had thick, strong hair. I love my hair, i think it has pretty nice natural color.

Lately (past ~6-9 months) the hair around my crown has been getting finer and less rigid (the rest of my hair tends to really hold shape).

My hair doesn't really come down when it gets longer, it just kind of balls up and sits on top of my head.

After getting a haircut a few days ago, i noticed that i could feel the wind blowing on my hair in a strange way. lo and behold, there was something somewhat off with my hair. I was horrified to see that what felt like looked like a big old bald line in my hair.

Im pretty sure that my hairline is not receding (not yet at least)

Im kind of freaking out a little

Heres a few pics: http://imgur.com/a/sbYsx

Hi and welcome

No offense meant, but I wonder why pretty much everyone asking these questions never mention their family history.
    Regardless of that information, I think your hair in those pictures are just fine, seems natural, maybe you have thinned some, maybe you haven't(hopefully ) hard to tell from just those pictures and no other information. If you are worried just keep taking pictures. Every month or every other month.

And of course, if all males in your family is thinning at the crown obviously you will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    And of course, if all males in your family is thinning at the crown obviously you will too.
    That is most definitely not true! Male pattern baldness will not necessarily affect each male even if their close male relations are balding.

A few months ago I met 1 old gentlemen in his 80s at a soccer game in London, UK. His grandson was playing for one of the soccer teams we were watching. Anyway, he has 6 children, I think 4 men and 2 women who were all at the soccer match. The old gentleman had perfect hair, no balding whatsoever and no receding hair hairline, but his hair was all white. Now, 2 of his grown up children, who looked in their 50s, were bald NW6-7, and 2 had absolutely no balding.

Just take a look at Prince Charles and Prince Edward, then take a look at Prince Andrew from the UK Royal Family. You will clearly see that baldness does not affect every male sibling even if there is a high heredity predisposition to it!

To the original poster, it is indeed hard to tell if you are balding right now. What you see as thinning may just be a cowlick. You should do as the other poster suggested to know for sure.