Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayM
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dutchguyhanging
    guys, they said on their fb page that they found the cure. When you read their claims it is more than halting hair loss. I dont think company on this scale will make false claims. We just need to wait phase II results. We should lock replicel topic until then. Right now all we need is photos....
    Let's just lock this thread for 2 years then?

Comment

• joel203
      • Jun 2014

how is replicel for maintenance if it puts in new dsc cells that are androgen resistance or am I missing something? or do they just replace your existing dsc cells from your own follicels and make them resistant to androgens??? someone please explain

Comment

• Arieux
        • Jun 2015

@joel203, they explained it recently:

RepliCel’s belief is that injections of RCH-01 replaces the androgen-sensitive DSC cells (responsible for maintaining the cell populations linked to hair fibre growth) with androgen-insensitive DSC cells. In each follicle that this is accomplished we believe the result will be permanent and result in hair growth in that follicle. What is required to halt the progression of the disease is the conversion of each susceptible follicle with androgen insensitive cells. We believe hair regrowth and halting disease progression are both ultimately achievable with our product.

Comment

• baldingdawg
          • Oct 2014

May I ask whether there's any difference between shisheido's and replicel's future treatment? Some say shisheido stated to have a full cure, whereas Replicel isn't really optimistic about regrowth?

Comment

• xyz123
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by baldingdawg
            May I ask whether there's any difference between shisheido's and replicel's future treatment? Some say shisheido stated to have a full cure, whereas Replicel isn't really optimistic about regrowth?
            Although I am as desperate for a cure as anyone else on this forum - I'm not even sure Shiseido has actually stated that they'll have a cure in 2018. The article that everyone quotes: (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/07/0...arket-by-2018/) doesn't actually have any direct quotations from Shiseido. It's written by two people that collectively refer to themselves as Master Blaster and, for all we know, Master Blaster heard that Shiseido was going to be starting hair loss trials later on this year, could potentially bring the treatment to market in 2018 - and decided to hail this as a cure.

Does anyone have a direct quotation from Shiseido saying that they'll have a cure in 2018? To my knowledge, Shiseido didn't even react to this article.

If a cure comes out in Japan in 2018, make no mistake about it - I'll be flying there (however many times it takes) and will pay (whatever the price) for however many injections are necessary to give me back a full head of hair. Hair loss f.cking sucks...

I would love to believe that Replicel is going to be the cure - but honestly - I think that's a huge stretch based on their Phase 1 data:

The average increase in density at injected sites was 6.1%. So in a given area - if a normal density is say - 200 hairs - and you have 100 hairs - then replicel is giving you 6 more hairs. That's pretty underwhelming. And I know Phase 1 was for safety and they'll be increasing the dose and number of injections in Phase 2 - and they also may have improved their technology in the intervening years - but it's hard to believe that's going to be enough for the cure... I mean - 3 of 16 individuals lost hair with Replicel - so if increasing the dose is going to amplify results - does that mean these 3 people will just get worse??

I'm fairly certain Replicel knows they're not the cure. After the article from Master Blaster, they went out of their way to effectively say - "yeah - um - we're not guaranteeing any of this... in theory it's definitely possible, but...". Right now all Replicel is claiming is that they are optimistic that their current treatment will be an effective form of maintenance - but even that claim - aside from it theoretically making sense - has NO human (? any) data to back it up.

With regards to differences between Replicel's current treatment and the treatment that Shiseido plans to offer in 2018 - again - I don't think anyone actually knows for certain.

As everyone knows, Replicel released two videos in May that featured Shiseido discussing hair loss research. The first video discussed Replicel's RCH-01 technology. At the end of the first video, they explicitly state that the second video relates to ongoing research involving iPS cells for hair regeneration - which is SEPARATE from Replicel's technology.

Shiseido Company Ltd. is featured in a network special on Science ZERO Japan, talking about the science behind RepliCel's RCH-01 Hair Technology, and their o...

The second video features Takashi Tsuji discussing his research, followed by Manabu Ohyama talking about iPS cells. It appears that Ohyama works with Shiseido, but I think Tsuji still works at Tokyo University.

Shiseido Company Ltd. is featured in a network special on Science ZERO Japan, talking about the science behind RepliCel's RCH-01 Hair Technology, and their o...

Neither Tsuji's work nor Ohyama's work is ready for human trials. So it's hard to believe that Shiseido will be able to incorporate their technology into a product that will be ready for 2018.

Could we have a cure by 2020? Anything is possible - the JAK inhibitors for alopecia areata seemingly came out of nowhere and changed the game.

Could the same happen for us? Maybe - let's f.cking hope so...

Comment

• Arieux
              • Jun 2015

@xyz123: If that information about cure from Shiseido was false and just based on misunderstanding, Replicel wouldn't spread it on facebook and twitter.

Comment

• hellouser
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Arieux
                @xyz123: If that information about cure from Shiseido was false and just based on misunderstanding, Replicel wouldn't spread it on facebook and twitter.
                That's why they corrected the report on their own facebook page.

Comment

• Parsia
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by xyz123
                  Although I am as desperate for a cure as anyone else on this forum - I'm not even sure Shiseido has actually stated that they'll have a cure in 2018. The article that everyone quotes: (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/07/0...arket-by-2018/) doesn't actually have any direct quotations from Shiseido. It's written by two people that collectively refer to themselves as Master Blaster and, for all we know, Master Blaster heard that Shiseido was going to be starting hair loss trials later on this year, could potentially bring the treatment to market in 2018 - and decided to hail this as a cure.

Does anyone have a direct quotation from Shiseido saying that they'll have a cure in 2018? To my knowledge, Shiseido didn't even react to this article.

If a cure comes out in Japan in 2018, make no mistake about it - I'll be flying there (however many times it takes) and will pay (whatever the price) for however many injections are necessary to give me back a full head of hair. Hair loss f.cking sucks...

I would love to believe that Replicel is going to be the cure - but honestly - I think that's a huge stretch based on their Phase 1 data:

The average increase in density at injected sites was 6.1%. So in a given area - if a normal density is say - 200 hairs - and you have 100 hairs - then replicel is giving you 6 more hairs. That's pretty underwhelming. And I know Phase 1 was for safety and they'll be increasing the dose and number of injections in Phase 2 - and they also may have improved their technology in the intervening years - but it's hard to believe that's going to be enough for the cure... I mean - 3 of 16 individuals lost hair with Replicel - so if increasing the dose is going to amplify results - does that mean these 3 people will just get worse??

I'm fairly certain Replicel knows they're not the cure. After the article from Master Blaster, they went out of their way to effectively say - "yeah - um - we're not guaranteeing any of this... in theory it's definitely possible, but...". Right now all Replicel is claiming is that they are optimistic that their current treatment will be an effective form of maintenance - but even that claim - aside from it theoretically making sense - has NO human (? any) data to back it up.

With regards to differences between Replicel's current treatment and the treatment that Shiseido plans to offer in 2018 - again - I don't think anyone actually knows for certain.

As everyone knows, Replicel released two videos in May that featured Shiseido discussing hair loss research. The first video discussed Replicel's RCH-01 technology. At the end of the first video, they explicitly state that the second video relates to ongoing research involving iPS cells for hair regeneration - which is SEPARATE from Replicel's technology.

The second video features Takashi Tsuji discussing his research, followed by Manabu Ohyama talking about iPS cells. It appears that Ohyama works with Shiseido, but I think Tsuji still works at Tokyo University.

Neither Tsuji's work nor Ohyama's work is ready for human trials. So it's hard to believe that Shiseido will be able to incorporate their technology into a product that will be ready for 2018.

Could we have a cure by 2020? Anything is possible - the JAK inhibitors for alopecia areata seemingly came out of nowhere and changed the game.

Thanks for your effort and nice post , But do you really think if the normal density is 200 and we have 100 hairs , 6 more hairs in that area would help a lot? I don't think its too much .

Comment

• Renee
                    • Jul 2015

I agree with xyz123, I'm not excited about replicel simply because of the results from phase 1. A true cure would give everyone the same results and replicel won't. If you look at the work done by dr. Lauster & dr. Christiano only the final step is left to provide a full solution. As Desmond said dr Lauster's team is 1 or 2 years for them to solve it. Who knows we can get news tomorrow that says they solved it.

Comment

• xyz123
                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Arieux
                      I'm not saying that there was a misunderstanding. I think both companies hope they have a cure, but - at least to my knowledge - neither company has actually shown any data to suggest that they have anything that remotely resembles a cure. They both want to promote their product - so if a news outlet says - "this looks great, it could be a cure" - they're not going to object. But at the same time - neither Shiseido nor Replicel responded by saying - "absolutely - we have the cure and it will be ready in 2018/2021". Shiseido said nothing. And Replicel effectively said - "well, we believe our product works - but to what extent - we'll have to see"...

I want a cure as bad as anyone else - and I want to be an optimist. But I think it's crazy that some people are completely convinced it will be here in 2018 just because a duo named Master Blaster said so. Needless to say, I'm sure the hype and promise around Aderans was just as great 5 years ago - and we all know how that turned out...

If this is truly a cure - we won't have to wait until 2018 to hear the results. We all know that if this therapy gives study participants a full head of hair similar to the JAK inhibitors for areata, miraculous before and after pictures will be posted all over news outlets as soon as the patients come back for follow-up. If - on the other hand - the results are modest at best (ie. 10% regrowth after 1 year), then we'll be waiting until 2018 before we hear anything and after all of the hype, they'll spin the product as a safer alternative to finasteride with similar regrowth potential and unclear long term maintenance efficacy... I really hope it's not the latter, but the Phase 1 results suggest otherwise...

Comment

• mcarpenter089
                        • Mar 2015

will work it

Originally posted by xyz123

It will work in 2018. You just need to stop being so negative and actually believe for once in your life!!!!

Comment

• inbrugge
                          • Oct 2013

great posts xyz. thanks for giving some much needed perspective.

Originally posted by mcarpenter089
                          It will work in 2018. You just need to stop being so negative and actually believe for once in your life!!!!
                          ...i'm sorry but believing is not gonna change anything. he's not being negative, he's merely stating facts. it's likely that replicell will be available in 2018-19 in Japan.

But there is no proof showing that it will be have amazing results. Not even Replicell has made any statement like that. He's not saying it will not work. he's saying no one knows yet.

Comment

• xyz123
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Parsia
                            Thanks for your effort and nice post , But do you really think if the normal density is 200 and we have 100 hairs , 6 more hairs in that area would help a lot? I don't think its too much .
                            Exactly: 100 -> 106 hairs = not cosmetically significant.

Phase 1 was for safety - and apparently they've improved their technology - so let's hope Phase 2 is much, much more impressive...

If they deliver, I will be more than happy to hand them over my money.

Comment

• xyz123
                              • Jul 2015

[QUOTE= ...i'm sorry but believing is not gonna change anything. he's not being negative, he's merely stating facts. it's likely that replicell will be available in 2018-19 in Japan.

But there is no proof showing that it will be have amazing results. Not even Replicell has made any statement like that. He's not saying it will not work. he's saying no one knows yet. QUOTE]

Exactly.

Comment

• Xya23
                                • Jul 2015

I believe that Replicel has stated in the past that their procedure would be comparitively priced with that of a hair transplant. Based on this I would think that they are planning on their procedure providing a comparitive amount of regrowth as well, as such a high price for something that does not give noticeable results wouldn't make sense.

Regardless, we won't know what Replicel or even Histogen for that matter is fully capable of until they are done with Phase 2 of clinical trials which probably won't be for another year or so. Until then everything is speculation but hopefully they do indeed manage to provide an effective treatment or "cure."

Comment

Working...