+ Reply to Thread

Default Head Cooling to Prevent hair loss??

A month or so ago I was reflecting on neogenics claims of creating low oxygen conditions in the scalp which supposedly helps hair grow. This low oxygen condition was also mentioned in another study last year I believe.
    Anyway I was wondering what effect keeping our heads at a cooler temperature might have regarding hair loss. I personally thought that if the head is cool, less blood would flow and less oxygen reaches the cells.

So while doing some research on the Clinical Trials page, I see a trial that's testing out this machine
    http://www.paxman-coolers.co.uk/the-system

here is the trial too
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...a+texas&rank=1

Looks like this clinical trial is using this machine on women who are undergoing chemotherapy in hopes that it helps them keep all their hair (I know hellhouser, they should test this on men too)

So now im wondering why????? why would this only work on someone undergoing chemo. If the scalp cooling is preventing hair loss, might this not help us guys with MPB???

I think its worth a shot, why not. Anybody want to chime in on this one?

In a nut shell a athlete takes an ice bath to shrink blood vessels to force old stuff out when heat is applied new blood rushes in to assist in healing. Baths are usually 10 minutes. Anything longer your body thinks your freezing to death and reacts.

There is a product out call C4 and I think it's nitrate chrome n03. It's a preworkout supplement that will increase blood vessels. Anyway with in a 15 hour fasted state proper wounding, ice and supplements might assist in better hair??? But what do I know maybe I'm off topic

Before I apply topical spiro I put my hairline under a cold stream of water. Only started doing this recently, but I found it has reduced itching in my balding areas. Before I started any treatment (I use Nizoral and Topical Spiro) I had massive itching in my balding areas, so that might mean that less itching means less balding, but im not sure.

I think hair loss is at least partially the result of inflammation and oxidative stress at the follicle - which in turn causes fibrosis. This study shows there's inflammation and fibrotic tissue in and around the follicle in bald scalp: http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/c...55599750010238

Also there's another study that shows that there's hypoxia (too little oxygen) around miniaturizing follicles, which might trigger oxidative stress: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8628793/

Cooling might reduce inflammation and increase blood flow. Here's a study on mice: http://journals.lww.com/jtrauma/_lay...icle=00020#ath

So yes, I think cooling might help in treating/preventing MPB.

Can other guys on the forum chime in on the relationship between inflammation/fibrosis and MPB?

Quote Originally Posted by champpy View Post
    A month or so ago I was reflecting on neogenics claims of creating low oxygen conditions in the scalp which supposedly helps hair grow. This low oxygen condition was also mentioned in another study last year I believe.
    Anyway I was wondering what effect keeping our heads at a cooler temperature might have regarding hair loss. I personally thought that if the head is cool, less blood would flow and less oxygen reaches the cells.

So while doing some research on the Clinical Trials page, I see a trial that's testing out this machine
    http://www.paxman-coolers.co.uk/the-system

here is the trial too
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...a+texas&rank=1

Looks like this clinical trial is using this machine on women who are undergoing chemotherapy in hopes that it helps them keep all their hair (I know hellhouser, they should test this on men too)

So now im wondering why????? why would this only work on someone undergoing chemo. If the scalp cooling is preventing hair loss, might this not help us guys with MPB???

I think its worth a shot, why not. Anybody want to chime in on this one?
    I'm not qualified to comment on this and have no understanding of the science but I can say after my decade of hair loss that it only occurs in summer when it's hot.

I actually regrow a significant chunk of hair when it's cooler in winter. It heat actually plays a part in hair loss I would believe it.

So the question is how does one lower the temp in the scalp? If i could find any affordable way thats comfortable ( cause i plan on doing this for hours each night) id def give it a shot. Bags of ice on the head is all u can think of, and that idea sucks

I don't think it's possible without looking goofy.

I have ICE packs that are 9x15" for my shoulder injury.

Self-Myofascial Release for 5-10 minutes and place an ice pack on your head for 8-15 minutes. Maybe apply a warm towel after that. I'd try this 3 times a week. I try to do this but honestly it's hard because I'm always on the go.

Read about ice baths and Self-Myofascial Release. Any injury I get I'll perform Self-Myofascial Release, ice, then compression. again you'll look pretty goofy trying to compress your head

I know when I had ACL surgery I found devices that you wrap around your knee and a cooler continuously pumps cold fluid through the cuff and it lasts for hours... just google things for knee injuries and put the pack on your head.