X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • failly
    • Jul 2015

Itch and red scalp AFTER starting fin

Hey all,

I have been on 1,25mg proscar EOD for about a month now. Since the first time I have taking it I have had this itch all over the top scalp. After scratching I see small and terminal hairs in my hand. Which may be shedding(I am sure I lose more hair than pre treatment) Also my scalp is red and hurts on some spots, which may be inflammation.

The thing is, I have never had an itch and red scalp before starting finasteride.

Do you recommend me to stop taking the drug? It seems that I have adverse effects. While people have less itch and inflammation, I have more.
    I really don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance for responding.
  • BBay
    • Jun 2013

Just stop for 7 days then start again and you will know the answer, I think we already the answer.

Comment

• failly
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by BBay
      Just stop for 7 days then start again and you will know the answer, I think we already the answer.
      But what if this is just a shed? Won't I ruin my progress then?

Comment

• failly
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
        You may also consider a scalp biopsy to evaluate any dermal inflammation that may be forming. Finasteride has a lot of weird side effects and you do not want to go down a path of causing permanent damage.
        Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it. I think that one of these two things is happening:
        1. I think I am one of the few that gets reflex hyperandrogenicity. I assume this since I have itching and was shedding after the first few pills.
        2. I am allergic for the film coating on the pill. The coating contains indigotine and titanium dioxide, both are know to give people allergies.

What I am doing now is stopping taking it for like a week. I hope the itching will go away. If the itch and shed go away I will take a pill without the coating, to see if I get the same itching.

Comment

• Dench57
          • Sep 2014

I never had scalp itch before taking Fin. Now, 6 months after quitting Fin, I still have scalp itch and accelerated MPB.

Like the other posters said, drop the Fin and see if it clears up. If not, maybe see a dermatologist.

Comment

• jamesst11
            • Jun 2014

I had the same issue and it resolved itself. I have no negative response to nizoral, so I started using the 1% almost everyday, followed by a good conditioner. I scrub in the ketoconazol with my finger nails and let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse with hot water. then I put my head under freezing cold water apply a good conditioner (I use purador, feels nice and makes my hair seem a bit thicker) let that sit for a couple minutes, rinse with freezing cold water. I obviously can't attribute the relief of my scalp itch/inflamed scalp 100% to this. But, it I know for fact it makes my scalp look and feel healthy. I am still shedding though after 4 months finasteride. :/

Comment

• failly
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Jazz1
              Add Nizroal 2% and see how you go, also what's your full regime ?
              Only finasteride(proscar) 1.25mg EOD.

Comment

• failly
                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by jamesst11
                I had the same issue and it resolved itself. I have no negative response to nizoral, so I started using the 1% almost everyday, followed by a good conditioner. I scrub in the ketoconazol with my finger nails and let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse with hot water. then I put my head under freezing cold water apply a good conditioner (I use purador, feels nice and makes my hair seem a bit thicker) let that sit for a couple minutes, rinse with freezing cold water. I obviously can't attribute the relief of my scalp itch/inflamed scalp 100% to this. But, it I know for fact it makes my scalp look and feel healthy. I am still shedding though after 4 months finasteride. :/
                Thank you for the tips! I will do that when I start taking it again.

Comment

Working...