+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Topical Finasteride

I just got a procedure done at H&W. (After lurking on this forum for years, and feeling so crushed and hopeless every time I looked into the mirror, I decided I simply couldn't afford to keep waiting and waiting for 5, 10, 20+ years for the magical cure to arrive.)

H&W said there are actually two different types of topical finasteride. They currently have one version, which they only prescribe to their patients. I am being placed on this one now.

But there's a second version in the works, which they say will be released in a couple of months. Again, only their patients are entitled to obtain it. This version is reportedly just as effective as the oral, but the amount that enters the bloodstream is 17 times less than the oral.

They say it will be out in a couple of months. I know that's not much comfort for those who can't afford a costly procedure through their clinic, but I just thought I'd share this information.

Do you live near the clinic? What if someone were to fly there for a transplant.. Would the clinic ship the topical fin to the states each month?

I live in Canada, a short flight away from Vancouver. Yes, they would ship it out once it's ready.

Damn that sucks that you could only get it in Canada. We need something like this in the states now.

The local pharmacy that makes the stuff will send the refills by mail. I could be wrong, but I think they'd be able to send it across the border. But again, clients only :-(

Still, there HAS to be a pharmacy somewhere in the States that makes a topical gel.

@ Banana Republic, how many times a day do you have to apply this topical? Is it like minox, twice a day? Which instructions did you receive in that regard from H&W?

If you give them a call and Skype them, then they can prescribe you topical finasteride. Just give their headquarters a call.

I actually haven't started applying it, yet. Since it's a topical, I was told to wait 2 months until my scalp has healed. The instructions come from the pharmacy (presumably advised by H&W). It says to apply "one pump" once a day. It's a very thin gel that dries quickly. I asked if it's like a styling product and the pharmacist said, "No."

The guy said that they've adjusted the formula to minimize sides.

It's expensive, though: CDN $183 for one bottle. I hope the new stuff isn't even more expensive.

how long would a bottle last? I would actually buy it if it lasted a month...

Two months. Actually, by the time I'm supposed to apply this stuff, the new version should be out. So, I might not even use the bottle I have.