+ Reply to Thread

Default Going bald at 17 - Insight needed!

Hello all! I'm a 17 year old male experiencing what I believe to be MPB. I think I've hit stage 3 (3A?) on the Norwood scale, though not sure, so clarification on that would be great! It has gotten to the point where it is rather hard to "conceal" it so I'm looking for suggestions from someone who may have experienced similar hair loss at around this age, (or even hair loss as a blonde/hairloss in general). Would you recommend medication? Getting it shaved off? Just looking for a few pointers so if you could offer any solid advice that'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

It's your own personal needs mate. I'm just out of my teens and the thought of loosing my hair horrifies me so I do take finasteride. Just ask yourself if having hair is important to you. I assume because you're here it is so I would advise jumping on finasteride to keep what you have and maybe grow a little more. Young guys can respond very well to treatments, so if you want to jump on minox and see if you can get some quality growth then try it But I would always reconmend Finasteride as a point of not losing any more.

But to note you might not respond well and keep losing hair on fin. But at least you will be doing something, right.

Also before taking any medication or surgery read up on the side effects and see if you would accept these. Sometimes side effects can be irreversible.

If it makes you feel any better, I started noticing my hair line receding at the age of 17 too. I had a few friends who would bug me about it, but now, I'm 40 years old and I still have most of my hair, so just because you're starting to recede that doesn't mean necessarily that you'll be a norwood 7 within a few years. I think I'm about a norwood 3.

I started balding at 16 so I know the feel. I started fin at my 17th but it was ineffective (still receding), so now I'm on dutasteride (still 17). However, finasteride will likely be enough for you as it is for most people.

If you're very concerned with balding, start finasteride and minoxidil ASAP.

By the way, that was without using any meds. So even without using anything, it's very possible that your hair loss will just stop, or at least slow down considerably, and not advance very far.

Yes too true , you are still growing.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas1111 View Post
    Would you recommend medication? Getting it shaved off?
    Hello, my hair loss experience started a little bit later than yours, anyway no matter when it starts it should be controlled. I wouldn't suggest you shaving as I suppose that you still have good hair (I'm also NW -3A). Start the treatment with finasteride as soon as possible to keep the hair you have and if you are lucky enough, to regrow what you have already lost.