+ Reply to Thread

Default Unusal men balding pattern - is this DUPA? (photos)

Hi there

I'm 27 years old and I always had thin hair. At 16, people were already mentioning my hair was very thin and it looked like I was going to be bald soon. As you might imagine, this is not very reassuring at such age, and since early my hair has been a big concern to me.

Since I played guitar in a rock band during my high school phase, I started using my hair long, which helped concealing the hair loss.

At 18 I started taking propecia, and I have been on 1,25mg/day since then. In the beginning my hair was thin, and the thinning has always slowly progressed. Propecia didn't make me regrow any hair, but it probably slowed down the loss. In my family, my uncle had premature MPB, as well as a 1st degree cousin.

As to my balding pattern, I actually find it is quite unusual. Even though it's thinner, I still have my full hair line, and temple points, but my hair is incredibly thin everywhere, specially on top and sides. You can easily see a lot of my scalp on my sides if I'm not using concealers. It looks like female pattern baldness, and I don't know if this is common in men, but I think not.

What do you think? Is it good old MPB or anything else? Diffuse unpatterned alopecia?

Unfortunately, it looks that way from what I can see. I'm sorry. The best way to know for sure though is to go to a go to a hair transplant doc recommended by this site, and to get you scalp mapped for miniaturization. If there is minuturization present on the sides, then you have DUPA, in which case your best bet is to shave your head completely, or to obtain a good hair system. Hair systems are very good these days, and are undetectable.

You hair loss is not that unusual. Lots of men have DUPA or FPB or whatever you want to call it. It’s just another variant of MPB. I think it’s labeled as DUPA in order to make the diagnosis more understandable to people. A hair system is a good option or like California 13 said, try to shave your head. You might be able to pull it off and not have to worry about this crap anymore.
    I think any kind of hair transplant will be a mistake in your case.

I would seriously just buzz my hair down in your case. You haven't really receded, so a buzz would look very natural.

So you think this can be genetical hair loss? I've posted this on other forums and there are people telling me "go to a doctor as soon as possible", as if they were sure this must be a medical condition?

I wonder if, considering my hairline hasn't receded, could this be diffuse alopecia areata?

It could be diffuse Alopecia areata, but that’s a stretch. It’s most likely diffuse MPB, but you should always see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. I’ve learned the hard way that you have to beware of other forums, especially if they sell ads.

I agree man, just buzz it down. My hair pretty much thinned everywhere too, I buzzed it and never looked back! I'm 24 btw, its a good style and a bold statement if you are confident enough to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    You hair loss is not that unusual. Lots of men have DUPA or FPB or whatever you want to call it. It’s just another variant of MPB. I think it’s labeled as DUPA in order to make the diagnosis more understandable to people. A hair system is a good option or like California 13 said, try to shave your head. You might be able to pull it off and not have to worry about this crap anymore.
    I think any kind of hair transplant will be a mistake in your case.

I do think the same as you stated here because same problem happened to my relative too and someone advice him for taking medicines so right now he is taking some medicines.

What actually my point is you have to consult a doctor or a good hair surgeon for this.