Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulioGP
    • Feb 2013

Baldness cure on the market by 2018 !!

Japanese cosmetic company Shiseido expects to have baldness cure on the market by 2018.

Three more years…

For much of my life I’ve been waiting for this moment. Even throughout my youth I glanced at the hairlines of relatives and wondered what would become of me. At the same time I figured medical science would have to have developed something by the time my hair would start falling out.

However, as I entered my thirties and began to look more and more like an octopus was attacking me when my hair got wet, there still seemed to be no true cure for baldness on the horizon. They were out there cloning sheep and growing ears on the backs of mice, but they still couldn’t give me a little action up top.

And just as I raised my razor to go the Bruce Willis route, a ray of hope shone on my news feed. It said that the cure to baldness actually lies inside me and my delicious stem cells, and that the key to unlocking it would be available in just three more years…

This isn’t some chemical treatment with only a chance of working and slew of side-effects. Nor is this some implant or transplant requiring you to take a leap of faith in your doctor’s artistic sensibilities. It’s a method to kickstart your own hair roots to work like they used to back when people were making money with rock music.

First medical staff will take some cells to reprogram as induced pluripotent stem cells, the scientific breakthrough that won Shinya Yamanaka the Nobel Prize and a fancy new washing machine back in 2012. At the moment it seems fibroblasts are the go-to ones for the job. These can be found in joints and scar tissue. That sounds a wee bit painful but there is already research into alternative methods such as getting them from urine.

Complete here:
    Three more years... For much of my life I've been waiting for this moment. Even throughout my youth I glanced at the hairlines of relatives and wondered what would become of me. At the same time I figured medical science would have to have developed something by the time my hair would start falling out. However, ...
  • rdawg
    • Jun 2012

This is replicel, and let's not get ahead of ourselves, this is a very unproven treatment.

is it possible it works, 100%, but nothing has been proven here.

exciting to watch but don't go too crazy here.

I will admit the treatments have risen alot in the past year or two, alot of treatments starting or coming to the end of their phase II trials(BIM, CB, SM, SETI, Replicel)

Comment

• JayM
      • Apr 2015

Really?! Have I just read the title of this post and the first line is sheishedo?

Please you have over 200 posts have you not visited the cutting edge section?

Comment

• Not giving up
        • Jun 2015

i know no one has any real idea, but how much would something like this cost? A painful amount I imagine?

Comment

• JayM
          • Apr 2015

Maybe but maybe not. And it's all relative really. If it's below 30k which it might be and means you don't lose more and they have improved on there previous results then I would pay it.

Comment

• Not giving up
            • Jun 2015

I hope you're talking 30k as in US dollars and not British pound!

But yeah, if it provided a teenage hairline and head of hair for life I'd endure and pay that.

Comment

• Trouse5858
              • Apr 2014

30 thousand dollars? Jesus Christ I'm only 24 there's no way I'd be able to afford that. Guess I'll start robbing banks if it means I can look like Patrick Sharp though...

Comment

• It's2014ComeOnAlready
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Trouse5858
                30 thousand dollars? Jesus Christ I'm only 24 there's no way I'd be able to afford that. Guess I'll start robbing banks if it means I can look like Patrick Sharp though...
                If it's $30,000, I'd gladly try and get a loan. If it means I don't ever have to worry about hair, or fin again? That is a bargain imo.

Comment

• Illusion
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready
                  If it's $30,000, I'd gladly try and get a loan. If it means I don't ever have to worry about hair, or fin again? That is a bargain imo.
                  Exactly. The peace of mind a cure is going to give you is priceless. Goodbye BDD!

Comment

• Not giving up
                    • Jun 2015

30 thousand dollars is only 15 thousand British pounds (ish) so look at it that way and you've already halved the cost (optimistic logic)

Comment

• Bald Russian
                      • Oct 2014

http://en.rocketnews24.com/ - is this site creditable?
                      Tried to find any other source - nothing.
                      Many times discussed that new law, allows shisheido (if they started phase 2 this spring) to come into market during phase 2.
                      Just going from replicell pipeline - they claim that phase 2 will be crossed for one year, and i belive japaneses will make it faster, because japaneses always have ambitions to be first in the world. Even take a worse scenario - japaneses will take 2 years for phase 2. Why author of article wrote that it will be in 2018 and not 2017 for example?
                      I wish a cure come as soon as possible. Already saving money to be in first lines. Anybody has some contacts with Shisheido to spill the light on this question about their pipeline? Do they have any dedicated page for curing baldness?
                      Also interesting question - everybody knows that such radical solution is mostly for hard Norwoods, light norwoods like 2-3.5 can use some drugs to save hair. But what gonna do those light norwoods when a cure will come? They have too much hairs for paying a tons of money to cover a small bald spots and in same time they know that sooner or later they will become bald even with drugs (or simply tired of regimen). Are light norwoods will trying to find a way for fast losing hairs with future seeding hair cells? In this situation Norwood 6 looks much more profitably, because he lost his weak hairs and is ready to get full head of hair that resisting to baldness...

Comment

• Paul73
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by JayM
                        Really?! Have I just read the title of this post and the first line is sheishedo?

Please you have over 200 posts have you not visited the cutting edge section?
                        What´s the problem with his post? Maybe Replicel really has something for 2018.

Comment

• macbeth81
                          • Sep 2014

This was posted yesterday. As Rdawg pointed out, this is Replicel's technology, although never stated in the article. Unless Replicel/Sheishedo have drastically improved results, this will be no were near a cure. I wouldn't be surprised if 2018 is delayed unless they start trials soon. Anyway, Japan is late. Wasn't Aderans suppose to be released this year?

Comment

• Sogeking
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Paul73
                            What´s the problem with his post? Maybe Replicel really has something for 2018.
                            They are aiming for stopping hairloss but their treatment will be low on regrowth.

Comment

• hellouser
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready
                              It'd be the best 30,000 dollars I'd spend.... ever. Talk about improving the quality of your life. Priceless.

Comment

Working...