+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

[QUOTE=lacazette;211997]
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Stem cells are still at an early stage of development unfortunately. It will need probably another 20-30 years to get quality therapies. They have amazing potential, but still many things we do not know about them. It is a long way to bring sucessful and safe therapy to the market and it is not so easy like we think. Around 90% of stem cell research is done on mouse, because they have potential to be cancer tumors if we don’t know how to control them.

I think you're too much pessimistic dude . Stem cells progress in an exponential way, and at a speed level incredibly higher than those last 20 years. Researchers already overcomed the controversy issue, as they don't need embryonic cells anymore. They needed them for duplicate them in any precise cell they want. But now it's our own cells that they're using (and found how to duplicate them in the type of cell they want) so no more controversy problem
    and look all the progress on recent published studies , you'll be suprise. Some of them find a way of purification of cells that lead to quasi no cancer risks, others found a method to do all that cell culture 100 times cheaper than actual methods, and many things like that if you search.

I could be right with you for the "real cure" in 20 years, but not for safe stem cell therapies. they are already in advanced clinical trials, without side effects for the moment, like histogen, shisheido. And if you look their approval timeline in japan : http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCEQrQMwAA

bro it changes a lot in term of timeline. they just have to prove safety, and could have an approval even before the end of phase 2!
    So let's prepare travelling, cause if something comes out, it will arrive in europe/usa for mainstream use 5/10 years after japan for sure ( unless Cures century bill change the fda regard on regenerative medecine)

With that dude you can't be over pessimistis and think it will be like these last 20 years we lived before, you also add the things like for exemple

the Wnt pathway world,really promising, with a product that is finishing his phase 2, or

the US army that begin clinical trial for bioprinted skin grafts ( with new functional hair follicles), bioprinteed organs that is in terrific progress
    "New advancements create opportunities for everything from 3D printable skin, stem cells and other minute medical applications. According to IDTechEx analysts, the 3D printing medical market is expected to expand by 365% to $867m by 2025. With the advancement of bioprinting, the medical market could reach up to $6bn in 10 years. Now this is an industry to invest time in.

bim,seti, and other drugs,pilloscopy that could lead with no scar and better yield HT,etc..

well we don't need THE real cure, if just one comes out with good results, in combination with actual treatments, I'm sure we could have not the john Travolta hair cut haha but at least a decent one,and to wait more peacefully 10 or 20 more years for the end of this nightmare

I like that phrase héhé :
    bill gates "We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."
    Yes, and all that have been done on mouse

We are still far away from practical use.

iPS stem cells are not that powerful like embryonic stem cells and 99% of stem cells die in body after 2-3 days.

As far as I know, besides of preclinical animal studies, replicel safety has been confirmed in phase 1 which was conducted on human subjects. And this technology will be available, according to japan law, after safe data from phase II (2018).

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    I see this coming up here and there.
    "Its so bad to lose hair.." I agree. "...especially if you are a girl/woman"
    I don't really agree there, they might be more affected by it emotionally, tho I don't really think so given we have several users who has been here showing serious depression.

But my point is simply, the women I have come across who has lost their hair or in the progress of it still easily acquire physical intimacy. Take a short balding guy for instance, they usually struggle hard with getting women. I just haven't come across any woman who has had it difficult finding a sexual or intimate partner, it seems to me a lot of their problems are just in their head.

I don't wish to discredit that they feel bad, obviously it is a big loss, as it is for men, but I just haven't been presented with the rational reasoning of why it is so much worse for women. Even if you got hair as a male you will often have to put up lots of resources to get with a women, they simply swipe yes/no with no need to hold up an interesting conversation. Least in my country and based on my experience anyway. Maybe it is different out there, maybe in your countries it is the women who must gather their courage and start chatting with the men with the risk of rejection if she isn't funny or pretty enough, then certainly hair loss on top off it would be a big blow as you are competing with the other women.

Again I don't wish to take away any of the suffering women go through, or men. I just haven't heard the reasoning why and it would be interesting if someone here could point it out or their opinion of it I don't mean to offend Maybe someone can enlighten me or give me some further insight.
    I'm 52 and feel that it's worse for ANYONE, male or female, who is young (teens, 20s) to lose hair. Luiza, you and I are both not at the point of needing to wear hair, so we truly do not know how we are going to feel when (if) we get there. If it were common to see women with shaved/bald heads, I don't think it would be as easy as you think to just shave it off. We, like men, would need good facial aesthetics to pull it off. I, for one, do not have that and would NEVER, EVER walk around bald in public. Plus, we have the advantage of wearing makeup to detract from facial flaws, whereas men do not. My son is 20 and losing hair fast. It's going to be tough for him to pull off the bald look. I feel way worse for him than I do for myself. I, too, feel far worse for all those who are having their youth robbed from them due to this disease. I had mine with a full head of hair, and I wish to God everyone I read about on these forums did too.

Wink

women still have make up.....

balding since 16.. and yes it sucks when people think that ur 10 years older :/

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    women still have make up.....

balding since 16.. and yes it sucks when people think that ur 10 years older :/
    People on forums must stop acting like b*tches, because there are much worst diseases. Lets go and ask people how they live with heart failure, stroke, cancer, paralyzed, blind, autism and other very painful diseases. I will be much more happy if i see cure for these kind of diseases than MPB. Yes, its nice to have full head with hair, but that is not my priority in life.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    People on forums must stop acting like b*tches, because there are much worst diseases. Lets go and ask people how they live with heart failure, stroke, cancer, paralyzed, blind, autism and other very painful diseases. I will be much more happy if i see cure for these kind of diseases than MPB. Yes, its nice to have full head with hair, but that is not my priority in life.
    daaat logic :facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by luiza View Post
    First, I wouldn't see any problem if I met a man who wears a hair system (a wig would be weird though. I find it weird even for women)
    "Hair system" is a fancy name for a wig.

You are delusional if you think 90% of women wouldn't care about a hair system. The social stigma is brutal for men wearing systems.

Hell, I recently met someone that was outed as a user and I can tell you he became a walking joke for the women that know him

This forum is more into new treatments. There are others where people mostly go to vent, and believe me, some guys have been dumped because of their hair loss

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    I'm 52 and feel that it's worse for ANYONE, male or female, who is young (teens, 20s) to lose hair. Luiza, you and I are both not at the point of needing to wear hair, so we truly do not know how we are going to feel when (if) we get there. If it were common to see women with shaved/bald heads, I don't think it would be as easy as you think to just shave it off. We, like men, would need good facial aesthetics to pull it off. I, for one, do not have that and would NEVER, EVER walk around bald in public. Plus, we have the advantage of wearing makeup to detract from facial flaws, whereas men do not. My son is 20 and losing hair fast. It's going to be tough for him to pull off the bald look. I feel way worse for him than I do for myself. I, too, feel far worse for all those who are having their youth robbed from them due to this disease. I had mine with a full head of hair, and I wish to God everyone I read about on these forums did too.
    Yeah, it kinda sucks when you're 17 and are already forced to go on dutasteride just for maintaining the hair you have right now.

It's funny because when I see people in their late 20's (or older) coming to this forum and b!tching about them having receded to a NW2, I really have very little respect for them. They've had their youth with a good head of hair, they don't know really know how devastating hair loss can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieux View Post
    As far as I know, besides of preclinical animal studies, replicel safety has been confirmed in phase 1 which was conducted on human subjects. And this technology will be available, according to japan law, after safe data from phase II (2018).
    To expand, Replicel extended Phase I/IIa trials and will take final safety measures in 2016. This will provided data over 60 months (5 years). Although the sample size is small (19), it should give some idea regarding safety.

Regarding the side topic, I saw a photograph posted a week ago on another forum of a woman without limps. She was young and had an otherwise great body. The males responding said they would "bang that". So if a woman without limbs can get affection, do young women without hair really have it harder?

Another point is that society is sympathetic toward women suffering, especially younger, otherwise pretty women. There was an article on CNN this week regarding a cave collapse in Washington. The article mentioned that the age and sex of the dead was unknown. Yes, it matters that much. Today headlines read "Body of Woman, 34, Killed in Washington Ice Cave Collapse ..." and "34-year-old woman's body recovered from ice cave collapse". Enough said.

It's great to hear that they are getting those trialists back in and I think this what the comment on there facebook page meant by them taking biopsies. But I mean if they walk in with the same/Better amount of hair before the treatment after 5 years then it will certainly be uplifting.