+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Can dutasteride just stop working?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but think it's great and I'm really hoping your combined knowledge of hair loss treatments can help clear something up for me.

I'm 30 years old and have been thinning right on top and on my crown for 8 years. After the first three I started using propecia and minoxidl together for about 2 years with great results.

I took a break from it and started using dutagan (dutasteride) and minox together for almost 3 years and this has provided even better results.

About 6/7 months ago I stopped using the minox altogether and became a bit lax at taking the dutagen regularly. Over the last couple of months I have experienced rapid thinning probably back to my worst.

Is it possible for dut to stop working? Especially after I have had some good results?

I had thought that missing the odd tablet would not have any great effect as dut has such a long half life?

Or is it possible that breaking my regime has ultimately resulted in me reversing the benefits I had experienced.

This leads me onto further questions. Over the last month I have been dedicated to taking my dut and applying the Minox, should I expect to endure the asscoiated shedding with both again? I hope so! Cos that would explain the alarming amount of hair that comes out when I wash my hair.

Has anybody else experienced an increase in hairloss after breaking their regimes? Or does anybody know of any instances when dut has just stopped working?

As I had not taken finasteride for that long should I consider going back to it. As I haven't changed the supplier of my dut which I'm sure at one stage was having great results I'm pretty sure the tablets I've been taking are legit.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ngp01 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but think it's great and I'm really hoping your combined knowledge of hair loss treatments can help clear something up for me.

I'm 30 years old and have been thinning right on top and on my crown for 8 years. After the first three I started using propecia and minoxidl together for about 2 years with great results.

I took a break from it and started using dutagan (dutasteride) and minox together for almost 3 years and this has provided even better results.

About 6/7 months ago I stopped using the minox altogether and became a bit lax at taking the dutagen regularly. Over the last couple of months I have experienced rapid thinning probably back to my worst.

Is it possible for dut to stop working? Especially after I have had some good results?

I had thought that missing the odd tablet would not have any great effect as dut has such a long half life?

Or is it possible that breaking my regime has ultimately resulted in me reversing the benefits I had experienced.

This leads me onto further questions. Over the last month I have been dedicated to taking my dut and applying the Minox, should I expect to endure the asscoiated shedding with both again? I hope so! Cos that would explain the alarming amount of hair that comes out when I wash my hair.

Has anybody else experienced an increase in hairloss after breaking their regimes? Or does anybody know of any instances when dut has just stopped working?

As I had not taken finasteride for that long should I consider going back to it. As I haven't changed the supplier of my dut which I'm sure at one stage was having great results I'm pretty sure the tablets I've been taking are legit.

Any thoughts?
    Sounds like a classic case on shedding after discontinuing monixidil. It usually take about two months after stopping to see the massive shed. There is not reason to think that the Dutasteride will stop working if you take it regularly, but people become dependant on minoxidil and if they stop suddenly any hair that has stayed in the growing phase because of minox will fall out and take a while to grow back.

There is no reason to think that if you get back on the Meds that you won’t experience the same positive results.

Thanks for the positive advice Winston. I hope you're right.

As i said, I've been back on the minox for about a month now and still shedding but I know that's to be expected with minox for the first couple of months back on it. Will hopefully notice a drop in the hair loss again soon.

I guess I'm a bit more sensitive about losing my hair now than when I was younger!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ngp01 View Post
    Thanks for the positive advice Winston. I hope you're right.

As i said, I've been back on the minox for about a month now and still shedding but I know that's to be expected with minox for the first couple of months back on it. Will hopefully notice a drop in the hair loss again soon.

I guess I'm a bit more sensitive about losing my hair now than when I was younger!
    No problem, I think you'll be fine in the long run. Keep us updated.