+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a Doc's opinion

Assuming that I manage to keep my current hair with rogaine/finasteride. Would the hairline that I drew be appropriate? It's with paint so it isn't exactly perfect but I think it gets the general idea across. This is just what I would want from a HT. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

age-20

family history- Most of the men in my family have either full heads of hair or are very thin on top with very receded hairlines. None are completely bald though.

My personal expectations with a future HT surgery is to have a more fluid hairline, that looks natural and full. At the moment my hairline is thicker in the front then thinner towards the temples. I would like it to have the same density all the way through.

I know that my hairline could change with age but with starting minox and hopefully getting on finasteride within the next month, I can expect to stay relatively close to where I am right now. Possibly even thicken up my crown if I respond well. I am just glad that I'm doing something about my hairloss now, while i'm still young.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 01-15-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updated pictures

Thumbs down

I know that you’re young and want yore teenage hair line back, but your expectations are far too high. Concentrate on keeping the hair that you have and if you ever have a hairtranspant no good doctor would ever place your hair line so low. They might consider reinforcing your existing hair line and maybe bring it down a little, but the one that you drew is far too aggressive and will look strange as you mature.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It would be helpful to have a frontal and top-view photograph. Also your age, family history of hair loss, and personal expectations should be used to help determine if you are a good candidate for hair transplantation. The lateral portion ( not temporal ) of a men's hairline should be either parallel to the ground or on a slight incline from the midline towards the ear. As apposed to angling downward. The hairline that you have drawn is not too far away from what I might have recommened. Remember that a hair transplant has to stand the test of time, and should look age appropriate for the life span of the patient.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you so much for the reply Dr. Charles! I am going to go ahead and actually draw a hairline later on today and take some pictures. I will add a frontal and top picture as well.

I will update my main post with the new pictures and information you suggested.

Updated with new pictures.

Yikes, do you really want your hairline to look like that in the temples? What do you think of his drawing Dr. Charles? Is this realistic?

Thomas,

Why does this last picture from behind show you with loss of color? Did you bleach it or something? The other pics show you with medium brown color. Is it the lighting in the last picture?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I'm not an expert so I didn't really know what would look the best for my temples, I just followed where there are still some small hairs left from before the major recession of my temples. I used to have a very low, rounded hairline, when I was in my early teen years. I know rogaine isn't supposed to work on the temples and hairline but I'm starting to see hairs popping up at my temples where they haven't been in a couple years.

But back on topic, It's mostly my hairline that I am concerned about, I just want my temples to look natural too. I dont think having a nice full hairline and then receding temple points would look good, but who knows! That's why I am asking for some opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Thomas,

Why does this last picture from behind show you with loss of color? Did you bleach it or something? The other pics show you with medium brown color. Is it the lighting in the last picture?
    Sorry for the confusion in the coloration. Yes, it was the lighting. When I tilted my head down to take that specific one I was right under the light and it made it look much lighter than it actually is.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

In my opinion you have drawn too low of a hairline. It looks fabulous at age 20. When you are 45 like me, in my opinion, you would look goofy with that hairline.

There are only 3 real mistakes in hair. First, poor wound closure and a large wide scar occurs (avoided by longer, thinner strips and 2 layer closures---in most cases). Second, putting too little hair on too much bald head (spread a 3000 graft case over all of a class 7's head and you may wind up with a chia pet....; focus on one area and then move on). And third, too low of a hairline. Generally this is a problem for 25 year olds and under. I try to always push for a really conservative hairline, and I know we lose patients to nearby competitors who go along with a 20 year old's idea of what looks great. You can always add more to the hairline if you have good luck and good genes and never need further hair back in your scalp; but once you put that hairline down low, you are stuck.

Be careful not to plan for your old age...your 40s.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile