+ Reply to Thread

Default Do I have telogen effluvium?

Sup gang,

So I was talking about this in another thread and need some further help with it.

I took a steroid cycle of testosterone for about 5 weeks and cut it short when I noticed I was losing hair in the shower.

It was literally over night that my hair went from being thick and full to being unhealthy, thin and britle.

Since then I've been shedding, it's been about 4 months and I've been losing hair mainly all over the top of my scalp. I have a flakey scalp too and might possibly have given myself Seb derm.

Anyway, the shedding hasn't really slowed since it started and my hair has lost density pretty much all over the top, I had no hair loss as far as I know before the steroids.

I'm using regenepure and Spiro cream to combat but that's it.

I've got a lot of new hairs coming through within the last few weeks but they seem slightly miniaturised (I can only really see my hairline)

But yeah, what's going on here? Anyone able to shed any light? Ha, geddit?! Shed? No? Okay, not funny my bad.

But yeah any ideas would be great because I'd just be happy to have a shower and not see like 20 hairs on my hands when I shampoo and about 50+ in my little drain catch thing.

Couple of more things to add -

My eyebrows seem itchy and fall out pretty easy, white flakey skin comes out when I scratch.

My scalp has that bastard MPB burn and itch all over, sometimes the sides and back but mainly on top and where I'm thinning most.

I'm still a Norwood 1 in terms of hairline, maybe a little crown thinning but nothing crazy, just overall density compramised.

Okay, yeah, think that's it. Opinions please bros!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Telogen effluvium can last months or years. An in person exam and scalp biopsy may not be a bad idea depending on the visual severity of the situation.
    Thank you very much for your response sir.

Someone in another thread said that the miniturized hair coming through in my hairline could be a sign of recovery? Is that possible?
    If so is it possible to have signs of recovery whilst still shedding?

Okay so I it take Chronic TE to literally mean the continuous on going onset of the condition?

One last question, if miniturized hair can mean a sign of recovery, does that hair forever remain miniturized? I know TE can knock on MPB, is that likely to be the case here or is there a chance the miniturized hair could one day be fully terminal again? (I know you can't make anything more than an enducated guess over the Internet without seeing my condition but any opinions would be greatly welcomed)

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Telogen effluvium can last months or years. An in person exam and scalp biopsy may not be a bad idea depending on the visual severity of the situation.
    Years? I hope that's the the norm, is it? How long does TE typically last?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    Years? I hope that's the the norm, is it? How long does TE typically last?
    Opps typo. I hope that's NOT the norm. How long does TE usually last?

Well, for me it's continued since March and still goes on. So who knows my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Not giving up View Post
    Okay so I it take Chronic TE to literally mean the continuous on going onset of the condition?

One last question, if miniturized hair can mean a sign of recovery, does that hair forever remain miniturized? I know TE can knock on MPB, is that likely to be the case here or is there a chance the miniturized hair could one day be fully terminal again? (I know you can't make anything more than an enducated guess over the Internet without seeing my condition but any opinions would be greatly welcomed)
    I have had chronic TE for the past 2 years, and you can trust this is not simple speculation or paranoia, as I've had 3 dermatologists confirm it. For me, every 3-5 months, I start to get MASSIVE, noticeable hair loss. Not like normal MPB, but like, comb your hair over the sink and 200 hundred hairs fall out, hair loss. Some of it regrows, some of it does not. The hair in the MPB prone areas struggles to regrow, if it does at all. I should really start posting some pics, I just hate taking them, it literally depresses the shit out of me. Day one - pretty full head of hair, 6 months after HT and horrible TE, you see a defined, thinning NW3 pattern devoloping, 6 months after that things get a little better, 4 months after and more TE, It is definitively worst with diffused thinning across the entire head. TE is a DEVASTATING for anyone... BUT, it is a HORRIBLE, MIND TWISTING NIGHTMARE for people with AGA. That's my opinion.

did your hair ever recover?

Interested to know how you got on as I am in similar situation