+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desperate :/

Unhappy Desperate :/

Hello guys. First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section... I'm really stressed out.

A year ago, my hair started to fall out very rapidly and my crown area thinned out. Obviously being an 18 year old boy at the time, I let my insecurities get the best of me and I started to worry way too much and did a lot of digging. I went to a doctor who told me that I had Male Pattern Baldness. I of course, wasn't ready to accept this because of cosmetic reasons. I then remembered that the hair loss started after I went on a very bad diet and exercised very regularly for a few months. So I did a few deficiency tests and found out that I was deficient in zinc. All was well! This was what was causing me my problems! Or so I thought... I took supplements and my hair stopped falling as much, BUT, it was still falling.

A year into this and my hair has still been falling out. I have been stressed out a lot with school and things so I'm guessing that didn't help my situation. My hair does fall out with white substance at the end which can be removed with my fingers and when I run my fingers across my scalp this same whitish substance comes out... This applies to every other part of my body too. My back, my arms, my stubble, as well as the pubic region. My skin has always been very dry so maybe that has something to do with it? My scalp has also had a lot of pimples and bumps on it for a long time. And I also struggle with acne..

So... the bottom line... what on earth is happening to me? Do I have Male Pattern Baldness or is this something else? I know that I should probably go to a doctor but visits to the hospital can be quite expensive and I don't want to stress my family with this until I get a better perspective on the problem. I'm desperate and I could really use some help...

Hello there...

My Hair loss also started rapidly when I was 17-18 i think... I lost my temples in no time... Im 27 now and is a norwood 3v currently i think... I also shed a lot of small hairs with white bulbs at the end... this is just shedding... your hair will shed many times before you get bald... the hairs will get thinner and thinner before it just vanish...

At your age, 18, if it affect your confidence, I would try Minoxidil solution PM and Nizoral shampoo twice weekly... The Hairloss is because of DHT. This is probably also reason for some of your acne... it will normally also make your scalp shine and itchy...

But wait with propecia until you are 21-23 i think...

Minox is worth a shot but in the long run you have to use propecia. There just arent any other options. Everyone has their thoughts on what factors into MPB and mine is that its basically sensitivity and androgens. We dont understand and cant control sensitivity so you have to stop androgens. I dont think much else matters personally and I dont think diet like will cause MPB on its own. Being 18 though I might try to avoid propecia for a few more years just to be safe
    See a doctor that knows about MPB

Only a doctor can tell you... and even then you might need a 2nd or 3rd opinion. There are many reasons for hairloss, MPB is just the most common one.