+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Losing hair on the side of my head? Insight appreciated

Hey guys,

I'm 22 years old, and I'm pretty certain that I'll one day lose my hair, BUT that's ok. We all can't be so lucky, and some people wear it well. No matter, I'll give you guys so details, and then I'll give you some insight into what's going on.

So, my dad has a receding hairline, but that is to be expected of someone his age, he's 71. In all reality, his hairline isn't bad for his age, he's definitely receded at the temples, but he still has a pretty wide strip in the middle and he still has hair on his crown. Looking at older pictures of him, his hairline has been the same since he was in his early 20s. His has thinned a lot more in the past two years or so, instead of receding. My grandfather on my dad's side had extremely dark and thick hair up until he died at 82. My grandfather on my mom's side was pretty bald by the time he died at 84. His hair really didn't "recede" though, it pretty much was just a lot thinner on top than it was on the sides. This seemed to be true as far back as I could check in the photo albums we have lying around, it was still true for him in his 40s, and his hairline hadn't changed much by the time he died.

So that's a little information on what my hair genes are drawing from. I know hair genes are a mix of everything, and you really can't tell hair your hair is going to thin based on just one source. I know I will at least lose some hair, but my concern is just how soon, and why am I losing it on the side of my head (just above my ears)? I recently had a 0 guard haircut back in February (by accident), and I could see some thinner areas, towards the front on my hairline, as it all grew back in. I currently have a fade haircut, and you can see the thinner areas in these pictures around my temples. I was just curious, has anyone else seen thinning in these areas in their own experiences? Isn't hair on the side of the head supposed to be immune to thinning from hormones? Is it really as bad as I think it is? Is it a sign of what's to come?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the feedback.

Attachment 40307Attachment 40308

Bump

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Fishfood !!

No worries my friend, it certainly could be JUST a Maturing of your hairline.
    Most everyone experiences that in life.
    Stay CALM bro and stick with us.

Hey Artista, thanks for the feedback. It's just strange when you start to see it go for the first time, a little bit of stress and worry sets in, but it'll be alright! Thanks again!

Its great to hear back from you Fish'and you are welcomed my friend !
    Now keep in mind bro, STRESS can and WILL possibly cause hairloss.
    You must not allow any idea or thought of hairloss to consume your mind and make you unnecessarily worried.
    Glad that you are A-OK!

I lose my hair on the sides and neck as well. Its called retrograde alopecia or DUPA, i don't know :\

I took my first pill of Proscar yesterday. Lets see what happens. Hope it will help my condition. (I'm diffuse thinner with nw3 hairline and thinning on the sides and neck)

Stress can and will cause hair loss? Yeah, hardly. This is the least stressful time period in human history. Think back 700 years and the stresses involved with that relatively primitive life. How about 10,000 years. You have your food sources, no fear of death, no constant battles and life of slavery. Did men in the traumatizing ww1 trenches come back with hair loss en masse?

His hair loss is retroactive alopecia. I have the same thinning on the sides, around the ear and down to the nape. This is common with men predisposed to hair loss. I can't say dutasteride has done much, though it seems to have slowed down recently. The loss on top topped while loss on the side advanced, which is disappointing.

You might also check out case studies from the last century with thyroid issues causing hair loss in this area.

Fishfood, how has your hair progressed over the past 2 years? Did it grow back or dit it worsened?
    I have the exact same problem as you had. I've been to two dermatologists, but they weren't much help.
    At first I thought it was normal male pattern baldness, but just like in your photo, my thinning hair is situated too low to be male pattern baldness.

I hope that Fishfood responds to you DiscoStu !
    I hope he is doing good!!

Default DiscoStu...

DiscoStu,

The areas that were thinning in these photos, have gotten thinner, and I think in maybe 2 more years will be receded all the way. However, the rest of my hairline remains the same. I have noticed that my older sister and younger sister have thinner hair in these spots as well. My younger sister just shaved the side of her head, and the hair in these areas is definitely a little thinner. I think it may just be in our genetics. I still wear a fade haircut, and it's still just as obvious as it is in the these photos, but I haven't lost any on top. Everyone I have talked to about it have offered no comment aside from "That's weird.". In the past two years, I HAVE noticed that there is a very wide variety in the hairlines of guys who have lost their hair. Sometimes they have the same situation as you and I, and sometimes they do not. I know this probably doesn't offer any clarity or peace of mind to your scenario. I've just come to accept it at this point, but in the beginning it definitely stressed me out. Hope you get it figured out, my friend!