+ Reply to Thread

Post Too young to be bald

At 19 I always imagined myself enjoying my life. WRONG!!! How can someone be happy when they cant even look themselves in the mirror?! I've been losing hair since I was 14...yep I said it, FOURTEEN. Don't mistake that with forty...your eyes arent deceiving you, 14. My hair loss is significantly severe at this point and to tell you its taken a toll on me over the past few years would be an understatement. My hair line has receded a lot and the top of my head is extremely thin. I'm not really up with the lingo, so I dont know any other way to describe my balding pattern.
    Today I had my first consultation ever with a hair transplant surgeon. Yeah, I know; to get such a serious proceeder done at such a young age, or even think about it, is pretty crazy, but I'm desperate. I've been pulling 50 hour weeks at work, saving up for the possibility of a head of hair. I woke up thinking, "This is the day I've been waiting for my whole life." Turns out the day I've been waiting for my whole life was nothing for a big fat let down. The doctor informed me that 1. I'm too young (no surprise there) and more importantly, 2. My donor hairs are way too thin to have a transplant. He recommended I start taking propecia, revert back to using Rogaine (stopped using it after 3 years around November 2014), and mentioned this cool new FDA home laser treatment machine, the Capilus272. He told me to use ATLEAST two of these products for the next 2/3 years religiously and then the possibility of having a transplant can even be discussed.
    And now I'm here. I've been laying in bed ever since I got home and don't have a vocabulary wide enough to describe how distraught I feel. I don't mind being patient and doing what the doctor suggests, but I can't help but feel like in the long run it wont make much of a difference. Rogaine worked for me when I used it, but it only slowed the whole balding process down, I'm just gonna get balder and balder. Propecia? 100 dollars a month and it only helps with the back of the crown area according to the doctor. And the Capilus272 seems like its a scam. I havent seen many good reviews online, but the doctor strongly suggested it. He seems like a pretty reputable guy, but thats coming from someone who spoke to him for 15 minutes. Sure using the 3 products will help out, but I'm convinced I'll never be able to have a transplant, or an acceptable head of hair (not expecting a full head of hair).
    I made this account today in hopes of getting a wide range of opinions from other guys who deal with similar situations. Here's my endless list of questions that I hope can be answered
    -I live in New England, but willing to travel somewhere down the line (in a few years, I realize I'm way too young at the moment). Any notable surgeons I should keep an eye out for?
    -I've read a bit about BHT, and since my donor hairs aren't ideal, I'm interested in it. What are your opinions on BHT in general and do know any surgeons that have a great history with BHT?
    -What have you guys heard about the Capilus272? Should I really spend the 3k?
    -What are my other options? I'll take any suggestions in general.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi there Baldingboula!!

To be completely fair and objective with you ,,you NEED to post photos of your hair to provide PROOF of what you say is hairloss.
    Not saying that your being untruthful my friend.

It would be an intelligent thing to do to share those photos so that we can ASSESS exactly what you have been stating--OK?

Of course you need NOT show your face online , just your hairline.
    If it doesn't bother you to also show us your face in the pics that would be A-OK too.
    No worries youngster

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    You may want to get an early start on potential management options. The IAHRS website has some good directory listings you can use to find a local doctor. Also, the AAD for dermatologists can be helfpul as this is a specialty of the Derma i.e skin/hair/nails but make sure the person you choose has experience in doing a lot of hair management.
    Hello Doctor. Thank you for your response! Will the IAHRS provide me with a list of doctors experienced with BHT? Also, are you an advocate of the Capillus272

Hope these could help! Thanks for the feedback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 7-2-15 at 7.50 PM #2 (1).jpg

Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	40310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 7-2-15 at 8.00 PM #2 (1).jpg

Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	40311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 7-2-15 at 8.00 PM (1).jpg

Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	40312  

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hi there Baldingboula!!

To be completely fair and objective with you ,,you NEED to post photos of your hair to provide PROOF of what you say is hairloss.
    Not saying that your being untruthful my friend.

It would be an intelligent thing to do to share those photos so that we can ASSESS exactly what you have been stating--OK?

Of course you need NOT show your face online , just your hairline.
    If it doesn't bother you to also show us your face in the pics that would be A-OK too.
    No worries youngster
    I attached a few photos to my last response, take a look!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Baldingboula

Thanks for posting photos ! I can understand your issues with hairloss.
    If you do decide to go through HT surgery please stay very REALISTIC on the results.
    You must LIVE YOUR LIFE to its FULLEST with HAPPINESS regardless of how your hair turns out to be.

Or even if you decide to ACCEPT hairloss for what it is...good people that are connected to you WILL NOT JUDGE you because of your hairline.
    If someone ever did ,, then that person has the emotional or mental issues--NOT YOU my young friend!
    Good luck to you with whatever you choose to do about this. Be HAPPY.