+ Reply to Thread

Default Hypoxia In MPB Where's It Coming From?

Might describe why hyperbaric oxygen & carboxytherapy have some shown some hair growth potential.

http://ec.asm.org/content/earl.../EC.00031-12.full.pdf

"In a given environment, oxygen availability is usually described as anaerobic or anoxic (complete absence of oxygen), hypoxic (reduction in available oxygen compared to atmospheric levels), or normoxic (atmospheric levels of generally 21% O2 or an O2 partial pressure [pO2] of 159 mm Hg at sea level). In the context of microbial pathogenesis,

it is generally accepted that hypoxia occurs at sites of infection,

thus generating significant environmental stress on most host and microbial pathogen cells"

"In summary, the occurrence of hypoxia during human fungal infections and the apparent need for fungal adaptation to oxygen limitation for virulence suggest that further exploration of these mechanisms may prove to be clinically beneficial. While "to air or not to air" may be abuse of a famous literary quote, it does reflect the idea that manipulation of oxygen (and/or CO2) levels at sites of human fungal infection may have promise as a therapeutic approach. The effects of oxygen on fungus-host interactions are likely to be multifaceted, and manipulation of oxygen levels and/or oxygen-mediated signaling pathways in vivo may have both positive and negative effects on the outcome of these infections. For example, while controversial and undefined, the ___potential use of hyperbaric oxygen___ to perfuse tissue to increase host cell antifungal activities and possibly thwart pathogen growth should not be overlooked"

More snips more from the study:

In the lung:
    Inhibition of neo-vascularization at the site of infection by the fungus is likely to cause significant tissue
    necrosis, prevent tissue repair, and thus contribute to the development of localized and
    perhaps systemic hypoxia

With regard to Candida albicans, one of the most frequently occurring human
    fungal pathogens, its normal anatomical location is the human gastrointestinal tract that
    contains significant regions of hypoxia

Dandruff(Malassezia fungi) occurs BEFORE mpb. It did in my case too..

Right column: about midpage. They say dandruff occurs first.

https://books.google.com/books?id=B5...nimals&f=false

Search ketoconazole 2% cream study. There are pictures around.

You wont IMO get that result with 2% keto shampoo. Contact time(& concentration) are two factors in killing microbes.

Quote Originally Posted by qwanlee View Post
    Search ketoconazole 2% cream study. There are pictures around.

You wont IMO get that result with 2% keto shampoo. Contact time(& concentration) are two factors in killing microbes.

great research thanks

I meant to post this here, but accidentally posted on another hypoxia thread:

From my own experience and research, pro-inflammatory IL-6 increases under hypoxic conditions, and DHT also causes IL-6 levels to increase.

Hypoxia inducible factors:

1. Pillow compression There is little adipose tissue within the galea, and this tissue is required to prevent cells being crushed against boney prominences. We sleep, on average, for 8-9 hours, therefore, for all them hours, the papilla is crushed against the skull and suffers from mechanical overload. When this happens oxygen levels are vastly reduced.

Edited to add: "Pressure alopecia (also known as "Postoperative alopecia,"[1] and "Pressure-induced alopecia"[1]) occurs in adults after prolonged pressure on the scalp during general anesthesia, with the head fixed in one position, and may also occur in chronically ill persons after prolonged bed rest in one position that causes persistent pressure on one part of the scalp, all likely due to pressure-induced ischemia"

^^I believe the same issue is involved - to an extent - in the pathophysiology of MPB.

2. Poorly ventilated bedroom When there is little ventilation in the bedroom, we constantly exhale a waste metabolic gas called carbon dioxide. This gas builds up inside rooms with little ventilation, so, the 8-9 hours we are asleep, we breathe in this gas, and it's asphyxiant properties cause increase oxygen delivery problems to cells being crushed against skull by our pillows.

I know this is true because, time and time again, have I experienced severe inflammation throughout my galea when it has been compressed against a pillow and oxygen levels are low (due to keeping my window tightly closed). When I leave my window slightly ajar (a 1cm gap), oxygen levels are increased, and I wake up with no inflammation at all.

Edited: This doesn't just apply to the bedroom, but any enclosed environment where there is high CO2 and low O2. For instance, if you're on a long train journey or an office with lots of people, they will be using up more oxygen and producing more waste CO2; breathing in large quantities of this waste gas leads to hypoxia, especially if there is inadequate ventilation. It's just that this issue is exacerbated furthermore when the cells are being crushed against the skull via the pillow.

3. DHT increases IL-6 From studies I read, DHT tends to increase this pro-inflammatory cytokine in target sites, therefore these 3 issues work synergistically in increasing IL-6 and heightened inflammatory problems.

"Autocrine and paracrine factors are produced by balding dermal papilla (DP) cells following dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-driven alterations and are believed to be key factors involved in male pattern baldness. Herein we report that the IL-6 is upregulated in balding DP cells compared with non-balding DP cells. IL-6 was upregulated 3 hours after 10–100 nM DHT treatment, and ELISA showed that IL-6 was secreted from balding DP cells in response to DHT. IL-6 receptor (IL-6R) and glycoprotein 130 (gp130) were expressed in follicular keratinocytes, including matrix cells. Recombinant human IL-6 (rhIL-6) inhibited hair shaft elongation and suppressed proliferation of matrix cells in cultured human hair follicles. Moreover, rhIL-6 injection into the hypodermis of mice during anagen caused premature onset of catagen. Taken together, our data strongly suggest that DHT-inducible IL-6 inhibits hair growth as a paracrine mediator from the DP."

If your baldness is in it's infancy, I cannot stress enough how important it is to tackle inflammation by making sure your bedroom is always well ventilated. In fact, this hypoxia problem may well be one of the chief reasons why 5AR inhibitors don't always work because IL-6 is still being produced in abundance.
    Last edited by Xenon; 10-24-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: more info