+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 20 year old guys experience with finasteride

So I've read a lot of posts from young guys like myself debating whether or not they should begin taking finasteride so I figured I'd post about my experience. I have had an aggressive case of MPB that began at the age of 18 and has continued despite my best efforts. At 18 I started minoxidil and am still currently using it but did not see any regrowth or halt of hair loss as a result of it. I have also been using bosley hair shampoo, nizoral, hair loss vitamins, and even crinagen since the age of 19. Nothing seemed to slow the loss of hair and finally I decided to see a hair loss professional who is very esteemed in the hair restoration field. I was told that I should begin using finasteride, but was hesitant due to my knowledge of the side effects that can go along with it... After expressing my concerns to the doctor, he assured me that I should not worry much about it because he very rarely sees side effects in younger guys like myself. So a few days after my 20th birthday I began taking 2mg of fin daily and I am now approaching 21. My experience on fin has actually been rather great so far! Zero side effects and my sex drive is just as high (if not higher) than ever! I also have noticed a complete halt of my hair loss and even a bit of regrowth over the past year! If you are a younger guy like myself and you are debating whether or not to go on fin all I can say is DO IT! If you want to be a candidate for transplant in the future you need to protect every hair you have in the meantime which is only achievable in aggressive through Fin!

I'm the same age and would have to agree that since taking Fin I hardly see any hairs falling. I would also add that I didn't see hardly any of this dreaded shed phase - I would mainly put that down to only being on fin and not minox, and the fact I'm mainly receding with no diffuse.

Young - How come you're taking 2mg a day? Seems like over kill to me.

I honestly think that at such a young age its got to be a mixture of both high DHT and sensitivity to it. I only wish I had known about this sooner as I would have started at 18. Also if there are any young guys from the U.K thinking its annoying that we can't just pop to costco and get bargain Fin, talk to spex as he has great knowledge and experience and can supply an email address for a doc who supplies cheaper Fin.

I also have had success with Finasteride. I started taking it at age 26 and I am now 31. I noticed some very mild/thinning in my frontal area at around age 25. It continued for the next 1 and 1/2 years to slowly get worse. I went to a board certified dermatologist, (also an IAHRS surgeon) who mapped my hair for miniaturization and confirmed my balding under microscopic inspection and at that point was prescribed Fin.
    August 2010 was when I took my first does of Fin and Next month will be 5 full years. My results are really good in that i first had some thickening up of the thinning frontal area during the first 18-24 months, followed by no additional loss from that point for these past 3 years following the initial 2. thickening--->maintenance. no loss. (pretty much exactly as described by Merck's famous trials). I have no discernible side effects. I take 1mg per day as indicated by the FDA and my physician.

Although its best to start fin early, i would at least wait till you stop growing in your late 20's. DHT is necessary for the body, including penis growth.

Quote Originally Posted by warner8 View Post
    Although its best to start fin early, i would at least wait till you stop growing in your late 20's. DHT is necessary for the body, including penis growth.
    Yeah it was August 2010 when i started. i was 26 and that following early november (mere 2.5 months later) i turned 27. so to be precise i started Finasteride at age 26.8 years old.

i think at age 20 hes okay though. its not like hes 15/16.

most guys done growing by 18/19 for sure.

The effects of DHT and androgens in terms of Endocrinol growth is actually more important In the womb and during puberty. This is why at the age of 16 I would be wary to take it. But at the age of 20 you are at full penis size. And no matter how much you want to believe those adds it is not getting any bigger. Yes DHT is important and is used around the whole body but you are only inhibiting one type of enzyme and still have about 30% of your original DHT value. This is why it's important to have blood checks because before I started taking Fin I had a high level of test and DHT. Anyone thinking of taking it should visit their doc and look at the various studies showing its safety profile for a drug being used for 3 decades.

I'm not saying that reducing DHT is a good thing, if I didn't have to then obviously I wouldn't. But if someone is going to say to me it's better to take it at 26 than 20 then its just wrong. In fact the older I get the less I would want to take Fin because of the natural decline in testosterone. Man it annoys me that some guy my age could come here and read that comment and then lose more hair till he's 26.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM View Post
    The effects of DHT and androgens in terms of Endocrinol growth is actually more important In the womb and during puberty. This is why at the age of 16 I would be wary to take it. But at the age of 20 you are at full penis size. And no matter how much you want to believe those adds it is not getting any bigger. Yes DHT is important and is used around the whole body but you are only inhibiting one type of enzyme and still have about 30% of your original DHT value. This is why it's important to have blood checks because before I started taking Fin I had a high level of test and DHT. Anyone thinking of taking it should visit their doc and look at the various studies showing its safety profile for a drug being used for 3 decades.

I'm not saying that reducing DHT is a good thing, if I didn't have to then obviously I wouldn't. But if someone is going to say to me it's better to take it at 26 than 20 then its just wrong. In fact the older I get the less I would want to take Fin because of the natural decline in testosterone. Man it annoys me that some guy my age could come here and read that comment and then lose more hair till he's 26.
    at age 20 hes fine, as i said. and age 16 i would be wary too.

waiting to late twenties would certainly be unnecessary.

In case of aggressive balding at younger age it do not stops the process completely but slows it down significantly.

my hairloss started at the age of 16 im 23,5 yet, solid NW 2- 2,5

early hairloss is not a sign for agressive balding! there are no correlation