+ Reply to Thread

Default Life after Propecia?

I'm in my mid 20s and have taken Propecia about 14 months. I'm pleased with the results. It looks like it's keeping the hair on the crown and top of my head in place.
    I've been reading online about some nasty side effects after you stop taking Propecia. Has anyone had experience with this or more info on it? I don't want to be the guy that just believes what he reads online. The rumors include bad sexual side effects and an intolerance to alcohol and tobacco.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    I'm in my mid 20s and have taken Propecia about 14 months. I'm pleased with the results. It looks like it's keeping the hair on the crown and top of my head in place.
    I've been reading online about some nasty side effects after you stop taking Propecia. Has anyone had experience with this or more info on it? I don't want to be the guy that just believes what he reads online. The rumors include bad sexual side effects and an intolerance to alcohol and tobacco.
    Thoughts?
    So did you see any regrowth of new hairs?
    And do you experience any hair shedding during your medication period?
    What is the best time to consume the propecia? Day or Night?

I’ve never read about side effects starting to occur after you stop taking Propecia. Most people who have side effects see them when they are on the drug. Some claim they continue after stopping the drug but their is no real evidence of this. If you are having good results and want to keep them you will have to stay on the drug anyway. If you have no sides effect now, then you’re fine. Enjoy your hair!

I agree with Delphi. I must say that the main side effect with Finasteride is the libido problem and you do see some shedding when you start taking the drug. But know that everyone is not the same and have different respond to the drug. Some might not see any of the side effects at all. But in reference to the main questions, if you do stop taking the drug your hair does begin to thin again. Being consistant with the time that you take the drug will also help your body get used to the medication and absorb faster. I hope this helped out.

Pierre Marquina
    Surg. Tech/ Consultant
    Mark D. Baxa, MD
    Prof. Image and Laser Care
    704-335-1212

Hi,

I've been taking Propecia for 6 years and I will be turning 28 next month.
    I started taking it because after graduating college my hair became a little more limp and the crown was thinner than when I started college. My family has a history of thin hair on my mother's side (grandfather is bald, my uncle is balding) and my sister too has thin hair. Because balding/thinning tend to be higher in men, the crown of my hair is noticably thinner than my sister. I never had a bald spot but I can't put gel/hair products because my hair is too limp/weak so I need to use mostly hairspray to keep my hair up.

I think after taking propecia for 6 years I did keep most of my hair and probably be bald if it wasn't for propecia. I have been taking it before bed at night because it's easier to remember just incase I was in a rush to get to work in the morning.