Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ziggyz123
    • Feb 2015

Going bald due to sebum plugs?..

I have an appointment at the dermatologist that gave me propecia at 10am. I saw her back in November which was the 1 year mark on propecia. I had scalp pain, huge shedding, and it turned into hell up until today. The reason I'm going is because I think either my dht is high from a reflex or something or some type of infection hit my scalp thinning and killing my hair. I have these odd plugs on a lot of hair I shed covering the white root bulb. My follicles are definitely clogged with sebum and hopefully she has the answer and a cure.

If anyone has had this, let me know how it turned out for you.
    Attached Files
  • mic28
    • May 2015

Let me know how you get on Ziggy, will be interested to hear what the dermatologist says

Comment

• Ziggyz123
      • Feb 2015

I will def let you know mic! My situation is blowing my mind lol. Hopefully she can play doctor for once and tell me what the hell is going on!

Comment

• lacazette
        • May 2015

I have quite the same thing in my hair loss.
        Just a question, did you ever take an accutane treatment when you was young for acne?

Comment

• Ziggyz123
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by lacazette
          I have quite the same thing in my hair loss.
          Just a question, did you ever take an accutane treatment when you was young for acne?
          Hey lacazette, I haven't taken accutane at all. Just finasteride and minoxidil. Did you ever take accutane? I heard accutane reduces sebum extensively, but a lot of people lose hair on it.

Comment

• lacazette
            • May 2015

Hey ziggy,

Yes I take one treatment of accutane during my young age.
            Accutane shrink the sebaceous glands, but when I saw that my hair fall with that sebum secretion on every bulb root, I was thinking maybe, the shrinken glands couldn't do the reserve, and all the sebum goes around the follicle root .

But now I see that you have the same problem with normal sebaceous glands, so maybe i'm in a normal process of mpb that is just aggravate by excess sebum secretion.

I saw on different forums people take a very low dose of accutane ( for acne it's 40/60mg a day( there's no more sebum enough and become really dry, that's why people lose hair on this drug)
            but they were taking 10mg twice a week for hair loss, and they report amelioration in in regulating over sebum activity, so it could help to not accelerate the mpb i think.

The problem for me is that isotretinoin is a strong drug, and I hesitate to take it for long term. Well at very low dosage, it could be good, but also in my country I don't know if doctors will prescribe me that drug for my hair loss. And Im afraid of purchase that drug on internet as it's a really strong drug, and I don't know any site who i'm really sure of the quality I will have for the moment, but I have to research better

Comment

• Ziggyz123
              • Feb 2015

Quick update

Saw the derm and she said "it is normal for people to experience seborrhea on shed hairs" and then I said how did my hair/ hairline get so bad on propecia? Her response was "propecia isn't perfect".

My guess is this is how mpb starts and fin isn't helping me. sad day guys, sad day..

Comment

• Ziggyz123
                • Feb 2015

Quick update

Saw the derm and she said "it is normal for people to experience seborrhea on shed hairs" and then I said how did my hair/ hairline get so bad on propecia? Her response was "propecia isn't perfect".

My guess is this is how mpb starts and fin isn't helping me. sad day guys, sad day..

Comment

• qwanlee
                  • Apr 2015

Follicular plugging is not specific to just mpb. I dont think it is causal either but just a sign of no hair growth.

Alopecia: histologic changes.
                  Bergfeld WF1.
                  Author information
                  Abstract

The major types of alopecia that can be diagnosed histologically are androgenic alopecia, alopecia areata, trichotillomania, inflammatory scarring alopecias, pseudopelade, and anagen and telogen effluviums.

Important to recognize are the ____common histologic features in chronic alopecias___

, which include follicular plugging,

decreased numbers of hair follicles,

frequent increased fibrous tracts,

and superficial changes of actinic damage.

Specific helpful changes to be observed are (1) the presence of actinically damaged skin that would reveal a chronic alopecic condition, (2) the presence and site of the dermal inflammation, (3) whether there is a decrease in the numbers of hair follicles and the presence of a reversal of the anagen/telogen ratio, (4) miniaturization of the hair follicle, (5) evidence of involution, and (6) the presence of scarring as demonstrated with elastic fiber stains. By assessing these histologic changes, the dermatopathologist can make a reasonably specific diagnosis of alopecia.

Comment

• mic28
                    • May 2015

Thanks for that Ziggy, sounds like propecia has done you more harm than good, similar to my situation. Did the dermatologist suggest where to go from here?

Comment

• Ziggyz123
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by mic28
                      Thanks for that Ziggy, sounds like propecia has done you more harm than good, similar to my situation. Did the dermatologist suggest where to go from here?
                      Hey mic, she just suggested tar shampoo like she always does. Typical dermatologist. She would give me dutasteride, but now I'm going to make an app with and endochronologist like dench on the other thread and check my hormone levels. I want to not only get to the bottom of this for me, but for guys that don't seem to respond to finasteride. I'll keep this thread updated with the endo appointment and after.

Comment

• Ziggyz123
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by qwanlee
                        Follicular plugging is not specific to just mpb. I dont think it is causal either but just a sign of no hair growth.

Alopecia: histologic changes.
                        Bergfeld WF1.
                        Author information
                        Abstract

The major types of alopecia that can be diagnosed histologically are androgenic alopecia, alopecia areata, trichotillomania, inflammatory scarring alopecias, pseudopelade, and anagen and telogen effluviums.

Important to recognize are the ____common histologic features in chronic alopecias___

, which include follicular plugging,

decreased numbers of hair follicles,

frequent increased fibrous tracts,

and superficial changes of actinic damage.

Specific helpful changes to be observed are (1) the presence of actinically damaged skin that would reveal a chronic alopecic condition, (2) the presence and site of the dermal inflammation, (3) whether there is a decrease in the numbers of hair follicles and the presence of a reversal of the anagen/telogen ratio, (4) miniaturization of the hair follicle, (5) evidence of involution, and (6) the presence of scarring as demonstrated with elastic fiber stains. By assessing these histologic changes, the dermatopathologist can make a reasonably specific diagnosis of alopecia.
                        Interesting that you say that follicular plugging isn't specific to mpb. The interesting thing is, I'm experiencing a receding hairline and general thinning now at the time when I started seeing these plugs..

Comment

• mic28
                          • May 2015

Thanks Ziggy, will be good to hear from you further. I Haven't taken any finasteride for 4 days. Got some face and scalp acne. Going to stay off it for another few days to see if this increases or decreases with finasteride dose. I'm using selsum blue shampoo every 3rd day and tea tree shampoo all other days. I can't say my itch sounds as bad as Denches and don't think I'm shedding as badly at the moment very thin all over

Comment

• Ziggyz123
                            • Feb 2015

What's up mic, yeah god damn this pill. It's so difficult to find the optimal hormone levels while taking. Scalp acne is a bitch man. I never in my life had it until this year on fin. Do you try apple cider vinegar rinses at all? That helped me a tad, but tea tree oil did give me relief back in March. I almost can guarantee fin is causing this to both of us and hopefully my hormone panel will give us some insight. Being off of fin just feels like we are powerless lol. It gives me a little bit of reassurance, but like you I thinned badly. Pro could actually help us to repair the follicles, but it's not cheap nor guaranteed but keeping your scalp healthy and keeping the ph balance straight could really help. Oral minoxidil will totally help too haha. There was a thread started on *** that I'm following but no responses from experienced people yet.

Comment

• mic28
                              • May 2015

Hey Ziggy,

Something else that I've noticed that I forgot to mention was that most of my shed hairs are an inch long. I can pull out 2 inch hairs or longer by force but it's always the shorter hairs that seem to shed. Not sure why this is. Possibly could be a sign that whatever was produced in that hair cycle is shedding only.

I've still not jumped onto the oral minoxidil yet. The heart issues scare me and I know once I start I can't stop

Comment

Working...