+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mic28 View Post
    Thanks for that Ziggy, sounds like propecia has done you more harm than good, similar to my situation. Did the dermatologist suggest where to go from here?
    Hey mic, she just suggested tar shampoo like she always does. Typical dermatologist. She would give me dutasteride, but now I'm going to make an app with and endochronologist like dench on the other thread and check my hormone levels. I want to not only get to the bottom of this for me, but for guys that don't seem to respond to finasteride. I'll keep this thread updated with the endo appointment and after.

Quote Originally Posted by qwanlee View Post
    Follicular plugging is not specific to just mpb. I dont think it is causal either but just a sign of no hair growth.

Alopecia: histologic changes.
    Bergfeld WF1.
    Author information
    Abstract

The major types of alopecia that can be diagnosed histologically are androgenic alopecia, alopecia areata, trichotillomania, inflammatory scarring alopecias, pseudopelade, and anagen and telogen effluviums.

Important to recognize are the ____common histologic features in chronic alopecias___

, which include follicular plugging,

decreased numbers of hair follicles,

frequent increased fibrous tracts,

and superficial changes of actinic damage.

Specific helpful changes to be observed are (1) the presence of actinically damaged skin that would reveal a chronic alopecic condition, (2) the presence and site of the dermal inflammation, (3) whether there is a decrease in the numbers of hair follicles and the presence of a reversal of the anagen/telogen ratio, (4) miniaturization of the hair follicle, (5) evidence of involution, and (6) the presence of scarring as demonstrated with elastic fiber stains. By assessing these histologic changes, the dermatopathologist can make a reasonably specific diagnosis of alopecia.
    Interesting that you say that follicular plugging isn't specific to mpb. The interesting thing is, I'm experiencing a receding hairline and general thinning now at the time when I started seeing these plugs..

Thanks Ziggy, will be good to hear from you further. I Haven't taken any finasteride for 4 days. Got some face and scalp acne. Going to stay off it for another few days to see if this increases or decreases with finasteride dose. I'm using selsum blue shampoo every 3rd day and tea tree shampoo all other days. I can't say my itch sounds as bad as Denches and don't think I'm shedding as badly at the moment very thin all over

What's up mic, yeah god damn this pill. It's so difficult to find the optimal hormone levels while taking. Scalp acne is a bitch man. I never in my life had it until this year on fin. Do you try apple cider vinegar rinses at all? That helped me a tad, but tea tree oil did give me relief back in March. I almost can guarantee fin is causing this to both of us and hopefully my hormone panel will give us some insight. Being off of fin just feels like we are powerless lol. It gives me a little bit of reassurance, but like you I thinned badly. Pro could actually help us to repair the follicles, but it's not cheap nor guaranteed but keeping your scalp healthy and keeping the ph balance straight could really help. Oral minoxidil will totally help too haha. There was a thread started on *** that I'm following but no responses from experienced people yet.

Hey Ziggy,

Something else that I've noticed that I forgot to mention was that most of my shed hairs are an inch long. I can pull out 2 inch hairs or longer by force but it's always the shorter hairs that seem to shed. Not sure why this is. Possibly could be a sign that whatever was produced in that hair cycle is shedding only.

I've still not jumped onto the oral minoxidil yet. The heart issues scare me and I know once I start I can't stop

Hmmm, yeah I shed alllllll different length hairs too. In my case, my hairline is minaturizing now . And yeah oral minoxidil is life long most likely. I hear you on not wanting to start right away. I'm about ready to shave my head and last year I was convinced I wasn't ever losing my hair. Sucks man. Somehow my crown is thinner too which is where fin is supposedly "proven" to work..

Hey Ziggy,

Were you getting success with apple cider vingegar rinses? How exactly were you doing it? I've got a shampoo bottle with 2 parts water to 1 part ACV and use it after the tea tree shampoo. Is this similar to yourself?

Hey Ziggy,

Were you getting success with apple cider vingegar rinses? How exactly were you doing it? I've got a shampoo bottle with 2 parts water to 1 part ACV and use it after the tea tree shampoo. Is this similar to yourself?
    At first it sort of got my scalp back on track in terms of the itch. I just fill half a water bottle with water and half acv. I shampoo first and then use the acv after. Honestly, I just can't wait for my bloodwork lol. I know my hormones are either normal or high when dht should be low. I'm getting a transplant but it sucks because at first all I need was hairline work, now I have a new part that formed and thinning all the way back to my spiral.. F****** bull s*** man. Finasteride just didn't work for me and instead mpb went haywire in me. I'll let you know though about my bloodwork next week because I'm getting blood taken Friday morning. Results take about a week.

Hey Ziggy,

Got a blood test done yesterday to check testosterone and DHT levels as well as a couple of other things. Dermatologist said she will only call me if there's any irregularities. Else I will find out my levels when I next visit her at the end of August.

Randomly started to get a heavily oily scalp today. Don't understand why it just happened all of a sudden

Hey Ziggy,

Got a blood test done yesterday to check testosterone and DHT levels as well as a couple of other things. Dermatologist said she will only call me if there's any irregularities. Else I will find out my levels when I next visit her at the end of August.

Randomly started to get a heavily oily scalp today. Don't understand why it just happened all of a sudden
    Good to hear from you mic. Good job with the blood work! As for the oily scalp, I just don't get it.. Are you on fin still? The past four days, I stopped using it cold and I feel "alright" it's incredible though how much I lost on fin, but j really think quitting minoxidil had a lot to do with it. My scalp is pretty normal at the moment, but I do get a weird dry itch and some sharp stabbing pains at times.. I'll let you know next week about my BLOODWORK as well because j will be going in for it Monday. Unfortunately i need to go back on fin to simulate my hormones while on because that is when I experienced all of this.

Talk to you soon man!