+ Reply to Thread

Default 23y/o with major genetic baldness (& getting worse)

Hi, This is my first post so bare with me. I'm basically looking for support because i'm going through a really hard time with my hair.. It seems I have genetic MPB (is that the right term?) passed down from my dad and older brother (they have the same hairline albeit more advanced loss)

Here are photos of my hair taken earlier while wet and brushed back (i'm not sure what i am on the norwood scale) forgive me how blurry it is

http://s16.postimg.org/viyhzn8o5/201...7_22_25_46.jpg

I generally have thick hair so thankfully i can easily hide it and i'm still young enough (thank god) to have a 'fashionable' hairstyle that hides it well but i can't have this style all my life lol - here's my hair how it looks most days, it's kinda awkward but i get away with it i think

http://s23.postimg.org/f3w7hcyjv/Scr...t_05_13_23.png

I have been using Kirkland 5% minoxidil for just under a year now i think, i tried re/rogaine foam but found it messy to use so switched to kirkland liquid.. I've been using Nixoral shampoo once a week for a few month now and i take biotin, zinc, vit c and b complex vitamins everyday for various reasons (some being for their hair growth props)

I have gone through awful depression from the age of 15 to 21 (i'm 23 now) and was diagnosed with it aswel as anxiety and BDD. The distress over my hair has gone so far that i've lost all but a few friends, who i rarely see because most days i can't bare leaving the house or if i do i spent hours upon hours waiting for the wind to drop so i can go out without it blowing my hair (yeah, i know).. also i've become distant from family and lost hope of a future and various other things.. im sure some of you know the feeling.

I'm not vain but i simply can't accept going bald like this. My BDD is killing me and there have been times that i've came seconds from ending my own life and i can't go on feeling this way. i've been on medication and seen therapists etc

here's some other photos close up, recently, i feel like something is happening with my hair. I mean you can see a stray random hair in the middle of the bald spot, i know for a fact that is a new regrowth so from that one hair, i guess i'm doing something right?

http://s9.postimg.org/li6sptezj/2015_06_27_22_28_21.jpg

also looking at the photos i've never really noticed the much smaller hairs around it, i dont think they're as noticeable in real life but seeing them in that photo.. they look promising? (im clutching at straws here) also, im not exactly sure what the scraggly looking hairs are on the hairline. some days i think they're regrowth but im not sure, maybe shedding and regrowth?

I just wondered if there's anything you guys suggest. I've been thinking about propecia but the side effects scare me a bit.. also derma rollers? would they be good? i heard rubbing crushed up vitamins is good after derma rolling?

id be grateful for any advice

thanks so much

ps i should explain the 'getting worse' thing in my title. that was referring to how my fathers hair is compared to mine, where I have hair in the middle of my forehead, his is very very thin so i was referencing how mine is gonna go the same way

aaron

any advice?

You're lucky that you have very thick hair by the looks of the pics, couple of questions are you losing ground progressively month on month, also where are you applying the minox, all over or just on the temples where you have loss? would you say that you are worse or better than you were a year ago when you started the regimen

Hair looks good when it's dry and styled bro. Like you I'm still able to just about hide my hair loss.
    Anyway, look into pdg2 blockers if you're scared of fin. I'm not touching fin myself because of fear of sides. Stuff like OC could be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    You're lucky that you have very thick hair by the looks of the pics, couple of questions are you losing ground progressively month on month, also where are you applying the minox, all over or just on the temples where you have loss? would you say that you are worse or better than you were a year ago when you started the regimen
    thank you for the reply it is quite thick thankfully so i do find it fairly easy to hide... i can't say for sure whether i'm losing hair, I don't wanna say for sure that it's stopped falling out because i honestly can't be sure.. i just know i've had this same or similar hairline for few year now and i can't be sure if its getting better or worse.. i dont even remember losing the hair where it's receded tbh so i cant really compare it.

i'm applying the minox liquid to the bald parts you can see in the photos but i'm letting it run back into my hair and in the middle section etc.. basically everywhere where my dads hair has balded further

Quote Originally Posted by Not giving up View Post
    Hair looks good when it's dry and styled bro. Like you I'm still able to just about hide my hair loss.
    Anyway, look into pdg2 blockers if you're scared of fin. I'm not touching fin myself because of fear of sides. Stuff like OC could be the answer.
    could you tell me a little about what pdg2 blockers are.. im really not all that clued up on the different terms and treatments