+ Reply to Thread

Default organs on a chip

looks like Lauster's team lost the race for the organ on a chip stuff:

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/chip-mi...s-design-year/

those guys were faster it seems.

now lauster's team should have enough time to focus more on the 3D tissue creation with follicles although i don't believe in lauster's success anymore. we will see at the congress in miami.

How about 'follicle on head' ??

Naw, too much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    How about 'follicle on head' ??

Naw, too much to ask for.
    You used to be the most valuable person on these forums besides Desmond. You helped me a lot with your RU log and I thank you but for the love of god quit trolling. We've seen more advancement and inspiring news this year than ever before and you seem angrier than ever. You know that day is fast approaching.

Oh wow, very cool indeed. Dr Lindner/Lauster were well aware of these guys last year when I spoke to them. They mentioned something about how these guys were getting DARPA funding and how they were getting preferential treatment by a lot of scientific journals. Either way, its really great news for us to see competition This might just be the catalyst we needed to get things rolling faster.

On a different note, February next year marks exactly 10 years since DARPA announced funding over a billion dollars into researching Limb regeneration and tissue engineering to assist returning combat veterans who are amputees or burn victims. This was back in Feb 2006. It is interesting to see we still haven't seen any practical applications becoming available, albeit 3D bio-printing has come a long way. Furthermore, in their latest annual publication: " http://www.darpa.mil/attachments/DARPA2015FINAL.pdf " they seemed to have directed most of their attention to neuronal regeneration and manupilation rather than general tissue regeneration.

This again highlights the complexity of the biological systems we are dealing with and the amount of breakthroughs still required to achieve full organ regeneration.

I think both Dr Jahoda and Lauster's team are definitely on the right track by trying to find the correct algorithm in terms of the signal proteins needed and the order they should be released in to produce viable hair follicles.

The time it takes to figure this algorithm depends on the number of signals involved and whether or not we have discovered all the signalling proteins. The Korean researchers have also been putting a lot of money and time trying to break this code and their latest publication is very interesting indeed: " http://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/16/3/4379/pdf " In summary they found the following signals are being produced by Keratinocyte stem cells in the hair bulge that signals Dermal papilla cells to profilerate and maintain trichogenicity:
    • amphiregulin,
    • insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2,
    • insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5,
    • granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor,
    • Platelet-derived growth factor-AA, and
    • vascular endothelial growth factor

Interestingly, follicept is using some of these signals in their formula! Lets hope they crack the code soon and we can all go back to being handsome beasts again lol

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    Oh wow, very cool indeed. Dr Lindner/Lauster were well aware of these guys last year when I spoke to them. They mentioned something about how these guys were getting DARPA funding and how they were getting preferential treatment by a lot of scientific journals. Either way, its really great news for us to see competition This might just be the catalyst we needed to get things rolling faster.

On a different note, February next year marks exactly 10 years since DARPA announced funding over a billion dollars into researching Limb regeneration and tissue engineering to assist returning combat veterans who are amputees or burn victims. This was back in Feb 2006. It is interesting to see we still haven't seen any practical applications becoming available, albeit 3D bio-printing has come a long way. Furthermore, in their latest annual publication: " http://www.darpa.mil/attachments/DARPA2015FINAL.pdf " they seemed to have directed most of their attention to neuronal regeneration and manupilation rather than general tissue regeneration.

This again highlights the complexity of the biological systems we are dealing with and the amount of breakthroughs still required to achieve full organ regeneration.
    hi desmond,

are you still in contact with dr. lindner? do you know if they will attend the hair congress in miami? is there any serious progress? more than a year passed and we haven't heard anything from them. the new website they wanted to put up is still not online.
    can you contact them and ask for some status update, please?
    to me it seems they are almost dead. as nice as the presentation from dr. beren atac last year looked, i have the feeling they don't take that development very serious.
    if they're not going to show some progress at the miami congress, then we at least know they're done.

Hey brother

I'm more than certain they haven't thrown in the towel. This is the website they were talking about which unfortunately doesn't say much about their work but nevertheless: http://www.tissuse.com/

Tbh, from what I could gather last year, the Hair Congress is more a place for researchers to show their preliminary work or preclinical studies. Once the work gets serious, they go into full secretive mode and hardly present anything until their patents and results are sufficient enough to break into the market. That's the vibe I got from the Lauster team as well. They were incredibly secretive and felt uneasy discussing some of the things I had planned to ask them.

I'll definitely send Dr Atac an email and see if they're attending the congress though I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    Tbh, from what I could gather last year, the Hair Congress is more a place for researchers to show their preliminary work or preclinical studies. Once the work gets serious, they go into full secretive mode and hardly present anything until their patents and results are sufficient enough to break into the market.
    A perfect example of this is Dr David McElwee, the Chief Scientific Officer of Replicel who was on almost every panel at the Hair Congress but never mentioned a word about Replicel throughout the week long presentations and refused to talk about the 12 month trial results when I brought it up with him at the inaugural dinner at the Congress.

I have a good feeling about the Lauster team and I think they have something great at their disposal. Only time will tell though. Hopefully I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktherock View Post
    You used to be the most valuable person on these forums besides Desmond. You helped me a lot with your RU log and I thank you but for the love of god quit trolling. We've seen more advancement and inspiring news this year than ever before and you seem angrier than ever. You know that day is fast approaching.
    i can totally understand hellouser. all those good news and so-called advancements in the recent months still mean nothing valuable to bring our hair back within the next 5 to 10 years. the only hope is in replicel for 2018 or 2019. if they fail or can't produce sufficient results, we're screwed until 2025 or longer.
    i used to stay positive for many years, but now i'm tired and sick of all those news leading to nowhere. let's hope tsuji or someone else succeeded in creating at least one functional follicle in the lab, and showing it at the miami congress.