+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Go for Propecia , Minoxidil or Hair Transplant?

Hi,
    I am a 36years old male who suffer quite massive hair thinning at my top scalp area and also some thinning at crown area...Now my hair barely can cover my top scalp..
    I havent try any oral or topical medication.
    Thus need advice from the forumers here..
    Should I try taking propecia, apply minoxidil or go straight fro hair transplant?
    I am confused on my decision now...need help pls...! Thks!

Constantine,

What you need to do is have a consultation with one of the IAHRS recommended Doctors on this website. They will give you the professional advice that you need to make an informed decision about your hair. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Hi,
    I am a 36years old male who suffer quite massive hair thinning at my top scalp area and also some thinning at crown area...Now my hair barely can cover my top scalp..
    I havent try any oral or topical medication.
    Thus need advice from the forumers here..
    Should I try taking propecia, apply minoxidil or go straight fro hair transplant?
    I am confused on my decision now...need help pls...! Thks!
    Anyone can give me his views or advice on this?
    I have been suffering from MPB for abt 6years...
    Should I try out propecia / Minoxidil 1st before thinking about hair transplant?
    Is hair transplant really a permanent and faster solution to hairloss?
    Does taking propecia or applying minoxidil cause massive shedding during initial treatment phase?

Constantine, why wouldn't you try both if you are thinning as bad as you say you are? Both meds are FDA approved for hair loss. Any of the side effects that you might get from the meds go away once you stop taking them. I also encourage you to see one of the Drs. that are recommended on this site. My main reason for recommending one of these Drs. is because they have more knowledge with both hair loss and the medication prescribed to slow the thinning process. In my opinion that will be the best way to make the right decision and the proper route for you to take! I wish you the best of luck and remember.....do your research!

Quote Originally Posted by bighosedragger View Post
    Constantine, why wouldn't you try both if you are thinning as bad as you say you are? Both meds are FDA approved for hair loss. Any of the side effects that you might get from the meds go away once you stop taking them. I also encourage you to see one of the Drs. that are recommended on this site. My main reason for recommending one of these Drs. is because they have more knowledge with both hair loss and the medication prescribed to slow the thinning process. In my opinion that will be the best way to make the right decision and the proper route for you to take! I wish you the best of luck and remember.....do your research!
    Fyi, I came from an asian country...not a local here...just wanna know how effective is propecia and minoxidil? Cos hair transplant seem to be the faster treatment to hairloss...But I am worried about how successful is the HT surgery? Will my present hair follicles at my recipent area subject to risk of damage during the implanting process?

Arrow Medication Is Key | Audio response

Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Fyi, I came from an asian country...not a local here...just wanna know how effective is propecia and minoxidil? Cos hair transplant seem to be the faster treatment to hairloss...But I am worried about how successful is the HT surgery? Will my present hair follicles at my recipent area subject to risk of damage during the implanting process?
    Hey Constantine, propecia(finasteride) definately works for most men as Spencer mentioned. Minoxodil doesn't have quite as high of a success rate but it works very well for some. If I was in your position I would probably start the "Big 3". Which is the use of finasteride, available as propecia or proscar(proscar having a generic alternative now in the US), Minoxodil, and Nizoral shampoo.(I'm not 100% sure what Nizoral does, please correct me if i'm wrong. Though from what I have read from here and other sites, it's a very mild DHT inhibitor and is an anti-dandruff which helps prevent hairs from becoming damaged by flaking.)

Possibly wait 9-12 months for any regrowth if there is any, and then choose to have a HT sugery.

I'm no doctor but I can only assume that if you cut into an area that could have possibly had regrowth with finasteride or minox, that hidden(miniaturized) follicle would become permanantly damaged and just replaced by the newly transplanted hair. I'm actually curious to know how that process would work. If anyone has some factual evidence on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasW View Post
    Hey Constantine, propecia(finasteride) definately works for most men as Spencer mentioned. Minoxodil doesn't have quite as high of a success rate but it works very well for some. If I was in your position I would probably start the "Big 3". Which is the use of finasteride, available as propecia or proscar(proscar having a generic alternative now in the US), Minoxodil, and Nizoral shampoo.(I'm not 100% sure what Nizoral does, please correct me if i'm wrong. Though from what I have read from here and other sites, it's a very mild DHT inhibitor and is an anti-dandruff which helps prevent hairs from becoming damaged by flaking.)

Possibly wait 9-12 months for any regrowth if there is any, and then choose to have a HT sugery.

I'm no doctor but I can only assume that if you cut into an area that could have possibly had regrowth with finasteride or minox, that hidden(miniaturized) follicle would become permanantly damaged and just replaced by the newly transplanted hair. I'm actually curious to know how that process would work. If anyone has some factual evidence on this I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thks Thomas for your advice...
    So you have been taking the BIG 3 ? How long have u been taking them?
    And how is your results so far? Btw, do you experience side effects on the propecia which reduce sex drive? And also does topical minoxidil has any side effects? Anyone can give me more advice or their opinions here? Thks!

Spencer Kobren usually suggests that you start with one treatment at a time to see if you are benefiting from it or not. I guess if you start all three at once you don't know which is working for you and you could be taking unnecessary medication indefinitely.From what I have read Nizirol shampoo should not be used everyday and has a negligible if any effect on hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    Spencer Kobren usually suggests that you start with one treatment at a time to see if you are benefiting from it or not. I guess if you start all three at once you don't know which is working for you and you could be taking unnecessary medication indefinitely.From what I have read Nizirol shampoo should not be used everyday and has a negligible if any effect on hair loss.
    So which treatment should I start 1st?
    Propecia or Minoxidil?
    1mg Propecia or 5% minoxidil?