+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Terrified Of Coming Off Fin

Hello everyone,

I've been on fin (0.5mg ED) for almost 6 months now. Side effects began mildly and have worsened at around month 4. I can still polish the rifle, but it's not as pleasurable and it doesn't get as hard as it used to.

Like I said, things have worsened and I'd like to get off. I admit I have psyched myself out looking at propeciahelp and PFS...but even in unbiased forums, I read people that quit say stuff like "it's been 7 months off fin and I'm only 80% back to normal."

In fact, I don't really see any posters that have quit fin and have their soldier return to its pre-fin girth and glory. Are you guys out there?

It used to be where, if I slept in one day (taking the pill late), I would already feel it returning to normal until I took the pill...or if I accidentally missed a day. Now, however, if I sleep in and take the pill late, I feel the same limp state as usual. I didn't interpret this as a good sign.

I'm looking for people that have discontinued fin. Did everything return to normal? How long did it take for that to happen? Is this "endocrine system crash" real? Also, how, exactly, should I come off the pill to reintroduce my system to DHT--cold turkey or tapering? Does it matter?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

-D

Don't stop propecia and trust me.

threads like this scare the shit out of me, does likely hood of sides reduce further out of puberty?

Robincurtz, do explain...
    My HT doctor said: "Stop taking fin, sides go away. Simple as that"
    I've hardly seen anyone on these forums mention how that has actually happened, though. Are you guys out there?

Taking fin can definitely effect your performance, if you know what I mean. I would say since starting fin, that I am only operating at about 97.3%.

Default take it slow

If you feel a need to come off Propecia, I've read that the safest way to do it is gradually over many months. There are number of recommended "tapering plans" out there.

My personal experience has been after 20+ years of propecia/finasteride I've had no significant side effects. I stopped cold turkey a couple of times for up to 6 months but decided I was losing ground faster and resumed. PropeciaHelp (not so much) can scare the hell out of you and be careful not to let your mind manufacture symptoms. You have no idea what else is influencing the well being of people that point to finasteride as the culprit for their condition. There are many health conditions that can sneak up on you (in my case it was adrenal fatigue) that can cause a variety of symptoms including reduced sex drive and increased hair loss. Unfortunately the remedy isn't always easy - reduced stress, squeaky clean diet and lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbacktime View Post
    If you feel a need to come off Propecia, I've read that the safest way to do it is gradually over many months. There are number of recommended "tapering plans" out there.

My personal experience has been after 20+ years of propecia/finasteride I've had no significant side effects. I stopped cold turkey a couple of times for up to 6 months but decided I was losing ground faster and resumed. PropeciaHelp (not so much) can scare the hell out of you and be careful not to let your mind manufacture symptoms. You have no idea what else is influencing the well being of people that point to finasteride as the culprit for their condition. There are many health conditions that can sneak up on you (in my case it was adrenal fatigue) that can cause a variety of symptoms including reduced sex drive and increased hair loss. Unfortunately the remedy isn't always easy - reduced stress, squeaky clean diet and lifestyle.
    Thanks for the reply, Turnbacktime. That's awesome that you haven't had any side effects for 20+ years; congratulations. Do you think people can really have persistent side effects after discontinuation? Also, could you provide any practical tips as to how one can ensure he isn't, as you say, "manufacturing" side effects in their head?

Also, where are these "tapering plans" that you mention?

If your fine letting MPB run its course I dont think it matters how you quit cold turkey or some elaborate method. The odds of those sides being permanent are very slim. If it happens than worry about it but nothing you can do now anyway.

Dank- Unfortunately to explore the "tapering" recommendations you need to go back to the same discussions that might have scared you to begin with.

Have you discussed your concerns with a doctor? Are you in good shape and otherwise healthy? I'd be surprised if your body is reacting so quickly that "sleeping in" and taking propecia later in the morning would have a noticeable affect on your performance (other than maybe you needed the sleep). I can tell you that while I was struggling with my adrenal issues (which have also been blamed on propecia in some forums) my sleep, sex drive, and general mental state were pretty messed up. In my case the root cause was too much stress on my system (mental and physical, due to over-exercising, a divorce, job change, etc.). I recall at one point because of all my internet research I wondered if Propecia had done me in. I've always been in great physical shape, or so I thought, and was sure I'd be going strong for decades to come. Yet I found myself explaining to my new partner that I was having trouble with things not performing as they used to; while she was very understanding I was inwardly terrified,which only made things worse. I finally started getting the stress and sleep under control and things slowly moved back toward normal. My recovery process has been over 7 months since the low point.

I tell you all this not to convince you to stay on propecia but rather to encourage you to do an assessment of your overall health before jumping to any conclusions. In my mind, avoiding all medications is the best way to live your life. In any case the odds are strongly in your favor that whatever you are experiencing now will pass, either by getting off the drug or some making some lifestyle changes. Good luck.