Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Micropigmentation, Regrets!

Hi guys, I've just got micropigmentation done. The results are not bad at all, but I really regret getting it done. I know... Please don't be hard on me....I just don't like how I look with a shaved head and I had still enough hair to have it long...
    The thing is that I got the MP really close to my real hairline so I think that once the hair grows it will cover it.....nevertheless...my right temple has almost no hair and you can really see the tatoo....Is there any way I can make the MP lighter...a cream or something or my only option is laser? I have no idea of what to do
    Any specialized laser tatoo removal clinic will do? How many sessions will it take do you guys think? I just want to remove or make the color a bit clearer of the front right temple. I know that MP is not exactly a tatoo and it should be easier to remove.
    Please any help is appreciated....I'm quite desperate!
    Again guys....really think what you are doing before deciding....I wish I could go back in time...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

Yunaiba:
    Sorry to hear you are not happy with your micropigmentation. My first suggestion is for you to call the clinic where you had the SMP done. Get their recommendation for pigment removal.
    We have seen patients who have had SMP done at various clinics. Many are very happy, but we have had a few we referred out for laser pigment removal. Unfortunately we do not know of any cream or other medical treatment besides laser that works. We have found that the Q Switch laser works without damaging existing hair. The number of treatments one needs depends upon the type of pigment which was used and the depth the pigment was placed. You can get this information from the clinic where you had SMP and you will need that information to give to any one doing pigment removal by laser. One of our patients had micropigmentation done with permanent cosmetic ink. He has needed 11 laser treatments. He had no problem until his 11th treatment when he had shock loss. It looks like most of the shock loss hair has grown back. The other 3 patients had a less permanent pigment used and had good results with the Q laser in 2 or 3 treatments.
    We have been doing SMP here at Shapiro Medical Group and have decided to use an organic pigment that is not permanent. We like the idea of non-permanent ink. It does mean the patient needs to come in for follow up touch up treatments. But we find the color is more natural looking. Also if a patient is not happy with it for some reason it will fade with time. None of our own patients have gone for laser pigment removal but I would think it would take 2 or 3 treatments with a Q Switch laser to remove.

I hope this is helpful.
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Hey yunaiba,

Shaving your head can be quite a shock if you've never done it before. I've been following a few smp forums and I've read more than one thread where someone was in shock and initially regretted their decision. Give it some time and maybe you'll get used to, and actually like the look. As far as the smp, does it look unnatural or bad in any way? Or is just the fact that you don't like how you look with a shaved head? Where did you have it done?

If even after time you still don't like the look than, yes laser tattoo removal is you only option to get the pigments out. I have heard of a tattoo removal cream that a scientist out of Canada is in the process of developing but it hasn't reached the market yet. Sounds promising though. I've heard some mixed reviews with laser. Some say it can be removed in 1 or 2 sessions and I've also heard some have taken 5+ sessions to remove it. As the doctor above said it depends on the type of ink used and how deep the pigments were placed. Good news is that it can be removed, it just may be a lengthy process. I've also heard that you should wait 4-5 months after the procedure to get it lasered off. If you've just had it done, I wouldn't rush to get it off just yet. Give it some time, make some phone calls to local tattoo removal clinics and try to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

In the mean time you can try using some makeup to cover the pigments on your temple area. Its not an ideal solution but you should be able to cover it up good enough where people won't notice it. That along with growing your natural hair out should do the trick in covering up the smp. Do you have any pictures your able to share with us? Good luck man.

Sorry to hear Yunaiba, you do have options though and good luck. Thanks for the advice Dr. Shapiro. I never knew about the Q switch laser.

Sorry to hear that you dont like the pigmentation. im sure if you take the laser advice it will help. It was a shock to me to shave head too, but i have alopecia so i have no choice

sorry to hear that hope it works out for you!

* This is not a big issue, Head power Hair Clinic in Toronto is the best place to go for Scalp Micropigmentation

Head power Hair Clinic in Toronto is the best place to go for Scalp Micropigmentation

********* Hair Clinic in Toronto is the best place to go for Scalp Micropigmentation

How long has it been since you had the SMP done? It is very shocking at first for most people. Particularly, if you just shaved your head for the first time the day of the SMP. Be patient with yourself, remember you looked at that old reflection a long time. The SMP can be removed with a laser as Dr. Shapiro said. And, you may like it as a thickening look as well if you experiment with your hair lengths. But, give yourself a little time to get used to this new guy looking back at you from the mirror. Don't make a quick decision.