+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil has stopped working (I think).

I've used Minoxidil for more than 15 years and it's worked really good for me -even better than Fin- in maintaining the hair I have but I think it's becoming much less effective now or maybe non at all as I've been having an accelerated loss of hair over the past year. I'm not sure if the scalp develops some kind of resistance to minoxidil or something but the reason why I think it does is that for many years every time I'd apply Minoxidil I'd get this itch and burn on my scalp but this last year when I apply it I don't get any itch or burn on the scalp however, if a drop runs down my forehead or behind my ear I feel a slight burn or itch. So, it's like the skin that's not used to minoxidil is more sensitive to it.

Now, is there anything I can do to improve the absorption of minox into the scalp? Just started derma rolling but any other suggestions?
    I'd appreciate a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I've used Minoxidil for more than 15 years and it's worked really good for me -even better than Fin- in maintaining the hair I have but I think it's becoming much less effective now or maybe non at all as I've been having an accelerated loss of hair over the past year. I'm not sure if the scalp develops some kind of resistance to minoxidil or something but the reason why I think it does is that for many years every time I'd apply Minoxidil I'd get this itch and burn on my scalp but this last year when I apply it I don't get any itch or burn on the scalp however, if a drop runs down my forehead or behind my ear I feel a slight burn or itch. So, it's like the skin that's not used to minoxidil is more sensitive to it.

Now, is there anything I can do to improve the absorption of minox into the scalp? Just started derma rolling but any other suggestions?
    I'd appreciate a reply.
    Apply minox right after showering. This increases the absorption of many topicals dramatically...SO USE CAUTION WITH MINOX.

Hydrating("water-logging") the stratum corneum reduces its barrier effect. DMSO also works by this principle.

You could also make a MSM(works like DMSO but easier on the skin) solution. Put about 15 grams MSM in 10 oz water in a spray bottle that would give you a 5%. Saturate your area with the MSM solution. You could also add in about 3 grams of arginine. Dr. Proctor said arginine grows hair too..

Dr. Proctor mentioned eons ago about adding n-acetylcysteine to avoid tolerance.
    I would keep n-acetylcysteine separate in a water solution. Keep it on the acidic side
    too for stability. If your NAC powder smells like rotten eggs or the solution smells that way then it got decomposed.

You could dilute vinegar down by 50% or so and add 1.2 gram NAC to 60 ml.
    That would give you a 2% solution.Apply it after minox.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.baldspot/n-acetylcysteine$20and$20dr.$20proctor$20and$20minox idil/alt.baldspot/43a29yJWFvg/6z7QnZ2s7oAJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.baldspot/NAC$20and$20dr.$20proctor$20and$20nitric$20oxide$2 0tolerance/alt.baldspot/T3n6f8_UcPI/M_JMf6jaD2AJ

Thanks for the reply, qwanlee. I have never heard of any of those products (DMSO, MSM, NAC ) and tried to search online but not much information on their use for hair loss. I've heard of arginine but I couldn't find anything about its use for hair loss either.

I'll give derma rolling a try and see.

Any info on Bematoprost, if anyone knows?

Or if Retin-A will help with absorption, what's the best place to get it?

Or if Retin-A will help with absorption, what's the best place to get it?
    Unitedpharmacies has it for like $17 dollars. The tube will last months.

Thanks for the reply, qwanlee. I have never heard of any of those products (DMSO, MSM, NAC ) and tried to search online but not much information on their use for hair loss. I've heard of arginine but I couldn't find anything about its use for hair loss either.

I'll give derma rolling a try and see.

Any info on Bematoprost, if anyone knows?
    If you google search, combine your search term with any of the known hair loss sites. By doing that, you filter out the people who just want to sell you something which includes no info which you need.

Quote Originally Posted by qwanlee View Post
    Unitedpharmacies has it for like $17 dollars. The tube will last months.

Thanks for the info. I tried looking for Retin A on EBay and from what I saw it comes in a form of topical cream. I thought it was a liquid. So, can it be mixed with Minoxidil in a bottle?

Dont mix it with minox. Apply after minox has dried 10-15 minutes. Putting any type of cream on your skin occludes it and increases absorption. There is another way to increase absorption...wear a shower cap.

Thanks for the reply. But it's kind of hard for me to use cream on my hair since I don't have completely bald areas. I thought maybe mixing retin A with minox would be easier -that's if it can be mixed.