+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default STUPID QUESTION TIME: Do Any Of You Have Cats?

I know this borders on like asking if when you started balding did you see a blue car with California plates. Bear with me, there is a method to my madness or is it madness to my methods? Either way is good, I guess..

I'm trying to see if there is any association with T. gondii exposure. Read my other thread.

From the 4 cases I have put together of males that had cats three were severely hair handicapped. Also, do you think some of them act schizoprenic? T. gondii get into the brain and cause behavioral disorders.

Many factors in mpb but I wonder if cat exposure is one of them. In my case, I was dating a girl who had a cat and occasionally was around it and her. That was the year I started balding at age 17.

Just because you have a cat doesnt mean it automatically carries T. gondii either. It would have had to catch a mouse with T. gondii.

No, I definitely don't think so...There are MANY things that can cause severe stress to the body, which in turn can cause hair loss.. Women experience hair loss all the time, after pregnancy, for example... but in MOST cases they regrow their lost hair readily. MPB is different. It is genetic. It is caused by androgens and prevalence of androgen receptors and this has been scientifically proven. IF you happen to have a physiological stress WHICH induces hair loss, perhaps toxoplasma gondii, or whatever else you mentioned, you will loose hair, for sure. BUT people with MPB may have trouble regrowing it, while people without MPB, like women, will regrow it readily. They are two SEPERATE things.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    No, I definitely don't think so...There are MANY things that can cause severe stress to the body, which in turn can cause hair loss.. Women experience hair loss all the time, after pregnancy, for example... but in MOST cases they regrow their lost hair readily. MPB is different. It is genetic. It is caused by androgens and prevalence of androgen receptors and this has been scientifically proven. IF you happen to have a physiological stress WHICH induces hair loss, perhaps toxoplasma gondii, or whatever else you mentioned, you will loose hair, for sure. BUT people with MPB may have trouble regrowing it, while people without MPB, like women, will regrow it readily. They are two SEPERATE things.
    I mentioned the factors you talk about in the my other thread. Actually, parasites can CAUSE immunosuppression in the host. Females dont get infected as much because they have better immune systems. T. gondii study showed it raised test and cortisol levels in both males and females. Castration enhances male immune systems too.

So...if it is involved it is because it makes men and women manlier and lowers their immune response by increasing cortisol(self preservation).
    http://www.ergo-log.com/toxoplasmagondii.html

Parasites are tricky dont under-estimate them.

Here is what JUST T. gondii can do to a host: ( advance notice: not pretty). There are of course other parasites and bacteria we have to deal with other than T. gondii.

http://www.polygenicpathways.co.uk/tgondii.htm

Do browse thru and you will see some of the molecules we use and have been mentioned for use in mpb.

You sound like a fellow biologist! Parasitology was one of my favorite classes. I don't know too much about it, but I'll check it out.

Wow very interesting thread. I actually took in a stray cat because he need help. He got mauled by another cat, is like half blind and afraid of his shadow, and a runt. So anyway, I had him until he got better, but he still lives with me. I had his litter box in my room because my dad wanted it out of his face and that cat also slept in my room. Coincidentally, I had burning and inflammation that happened in November with hairloss. I also got a rash under my armpit, was sensitive to cologne, and got a stye in my left eye. I thought I became allergic to pg in minox and had to quit.

My bio teacher actually suggested that I might have a parasite from the cat and coincidentally he had worms lol. I never looked into it too much but I will look into T. Gondii. Thanks

I read some stuff on it. Pretty interesting, but hairloss from toxoplasma Gondi doesn't seem to be a side effect that people report. Are you trying to say that the weakening of the immune system could be the cause? Is hair loss even one of the symptoms?

My hair loss started when I got cats I think. I took in my neighbors half stray cats and that's when it became noticeable at least. I also have burning inflammation like Ziggy. I highly doubt its the case but my entire life all I've ever done is suffer consequences from other peoples irresponsible disregard other people. There white trash too so probably did have t gondii

Early age balding under 20 is NOT natural. The thing about T. gondii is from other studies they seem to prefer high testosterone hosts and organs. They do tend to go right for your balls. I dont know if they home in the hair follicles because of dht or not.

Just not that much info on where they go initially and where they reside. They need to radioactively tag them and inject them into animals and see what routes they take. I think they can go into all tissues though from the studies(fibroblasts, brain, endothelial, crotchal area , adipose,etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyz123 View Post
    I read some stuff on it. Pretty interesting, but hairloss from toxoplasma Gondi doesn't seem to be a side effect that people report. Are you trying to say that the weakening of the immune system could be the cause? Is hair loss even one of the symptoms?
    Ziggy...not enough is known but things seem to add up. Many questions remain unanswered.

Re: James

Some background but common sense and the ability to argue against YOUR _own_(for robustness sake) hypothesis rules. It easy to fact find and hide from other studies which clearly show you are wrong.

Rule #1 dont fall in love with your hypothesis.

Rule #2: build a model with variables with high explanatory power. Like if it was a decision tree they would be the first split. Take a satellite view of the human body or if you are too zoomed in you will get lost in its complexity.