+ Reply to Thread

Default 14 years old - Worried about balding

One morning after drying my hair I had noticed that the top of my hair (at least to me) had became thinner, and I am unsure whether it is a mature hairline or actually receding. I will add that around February I had completely shaved my head, yet around April when I got my current haircut *or style* I hadn't had any problems until Monday. I also noticed I could see my crown, but that has been negated by having very short sides. Again, I am unsure whether the current length on the top of my hair is making me uncomfortable on top my concerns of getting a maturing or receding hairline. My parents and others insist I am not going bald as well however prior to my haircut one friend did notice the crown.
    http://i.imgur.com/xvCrNVl.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/YEoI74O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/uwG4tJL.jpg

u on any meds like Fin? its possible to lose hair that early. my buddy in HS was a NW3 by the time he was a senior.

I'm not on any meds, no.

then I wud highly suggest u try them. they can give u sexual side effects but id say most don't experience them. u will know within a couple weeks or so and u can always experiment with dosages. I wud go see ur doctor and ask to get a prescription for Finasteride.

I am curious though, how bad is the balding?

Batting321 - Go and see a derm and your doctor. Of course there is every chance you could be losing hair at your age, even though its very rare. The chances are at your age it could be something else - Maybe stress related. That being said I would also say I can't really tell much by your pictures to be honest.

You won't be prescribed Finasteride at your age. Im not really sure what GSX is smoking but dude your endocrine system is still developing, you would need a miracle to find a doctor to prescribe that to you.

I've noticed that maybe 20-40 hairs regular length are falling out since Monday, but more tiny hairs (1-3mm long) are falling out.

Edit; Though I'm curious if it's just a hair growing phase, as my hair hasn't grown in a few weeks when this started. In late July/early August I will probably go much shorter and see if there is anything behind my concerns, just hoping I can last till 20ish.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM View Post
    Batting321 - Go and see a derm and your doctor. Of course there is every chance you could be losing hair at your age, even though its very rare. The chances are at your age it could be something else - Maybe stress related. That being said I would also say I can't really tell much by your pictures to be honest.

You won't be prescribed Finasteride at your age. Im not really sure what GSX is smoking but dude your endocrine system is still developing, you would need a miracle to find a doctor to prescribe that to you.
    first of all brain surgeon ur endocrine system is fully developed at puberty so nice try tryn to sound smart wen u ended up sounding dumb!

the Propecia trials were from age 18-65. I was prescribed it at age 19. plenty of doctors will prescribe Propecia at a young age especially if their hair is falling out. he won't know if he tries and if his doctor turns him down he can go to another. you have no idea wat he will or won't be prescribed so stop sounding like u know wat ur talkn about cause u sound like an idiot!

trying propecia at 14 is an absolutely horrible idea and no, no ethical doctor would prescribe it. Don't mess around with your testosterone while you're still developing young lad.

Your reply is just ironic. I was prescribed it at 19 as well, so you can have my gold star for that if you want. He can go to as many doctors as he wants, and he should, which is what I suggested. I'm not arguing that DHT is most important at foetus stage and as he grows up. Ok I should have been more technical and said its mainly to do with male secondary characteristics. You merely state to the kid "get on meds" but how is he going to make an informed decision about that? Thats why I told him to get to a doc or derm, I told him it would be ultra rare for it to be prescribed under 18 - but i have heard 16 year olds being prescribed it. He could easily buy this stuff without a prescription on the internet so it just worries me a young guy thinking its common place for guys his age to get on it if they are losing hair.

It doesn't make me sound stupid saying his endocrine system wont be fully developed. Brain development is thought to take even longer after puberty to be fully developed - Granted his male sexual organs might be fully developed but removing DHT and increasing test can also increase oestrogen level's which isn't exactly so great during puberty - Its not really so great after puberty! And not to mention other theories of the role of DHT/Androgens in the immune system and brain development.

Saying I don't know what you were smoking was based on the fact you were telling this guy to get on medication with no safety profile under the age of 18 without giving him any information at all.

And with the hair counts, I will say it again, go see a doctor or dermatologist. Talk about it to your parents and say look I need to see someone. Because we can't really tell ya. More pictures would help - Wet hair, zoomed out a bit ect. Good luck on your journey and just keep an eye on it - The important thing right now is that your hair looks good from what I can see mate.