+ Reply to Thread

Default Dealing With Hairloss (Age 20)

Hi, my name is Thomas. I first began noticing my hair loss around the age of 16. It was very slow at first but began increasing after about 2 years. I am now 20 and the effects of hair loss are very noticable especially at the temples and hairline.

I have started using rogaine(about 3 weeks ago) and am going through the shedding phase. This does not bother me because I have read many articles that state the shedding phase means its working and is only temporary. I also bought Nizoral shampoo a few days ago and am going to start using that as well.

However with what research I have done over the last few months I understand that Minoxodil and Nizoral together won't protect my hair from the effects of DHT and I called a local dermatologist in hopes to get a proscar prescription(generic) since I am a college student and my finances don't leave much room for the high cost of propecia.

Hairloss has lowered my self esteem over the last couple of years. I have read others stories that are similar to mine and it really is hard to deal with. Being so young and having something like this happen to you that you have no control over. Especially when so many of your peers have yet to experience this and probably wont until they are in their late 20's or early 30's.

I am extremely happy that I'm growing up in a world that now has the technology to not only stop or prevent hairloss, but can replace lost hair with advanced surgical procedures. I hope that in the near future my hairloss will stop and can have a hair restoration procedure done to repair and fill in my hairline and temple regions.

I went ahead and took some pictures so others can see the progression of my loss.

Smile Welcome!

Welcome to the site Thomas. I know how hard it can be losing your hair at a young age. I started taking Propecia when I was around your age and it helped me very much. I think it’s really your best defense.
    You uploaded good pictures and it looks like you can still save a good amount of hair and possibly even grow some back. Also you have good facial structure so you might even consider buzzing it real short while you're treating your hair. A very short crew cut or buzz cut can really disguise your hair loss and it’s considered a cool style now. Just food for thought.
    You found the best hair loss forum on the web. You should listen to Spencer kobren’s show on Sundays, it’s very therapeutic.
    Hang in there, you will be just fine.

hi thomas , sorry to know u suffering of mbp at a young age, i think u ´d look good with a buzz cut , u have the right head structure, getting on finas would help a lot too, the right way to go is ketokonazole shampoo, once ur scalp is clean then aply minox, you have to fight sebum first i cut 5mg finas pill in 6 and its working for me maybe u should start with a low dose too..

cheers

Thanks for the responses so far. I shaved my head a few months ago and didn't like it personally. Usually I have my hair parted higher and cover up my receding hairline somewhat. For the pictures I parted my hair and combed it towards the top of my head to show the progression of hairline loss.

Thomas, all I can say is that you need to get a proscar prescription ASAP!! and don't take no for an answer. If one dermatologist doesn't give it to you, go to another one. And dont be afraid to advocate for yourself. Tell them what you want very clearly and why.

Proscar comes in a 5mg pill. You get a pill cutter and take 1/4 once a day. It probably will cost about 100 a year, maybe a bit more. Its the best bargain Ive ever come across in my life. Who wouldnt save their hair for 100 a year? And dont listen to message boards that talk about its side effects. Half of that stuff is posted by people who sell fake "all natural" products and hate that propecia has put them out of business. Ive never had one side effect from it. Remember, people who are happy with a drug dont post in forums, its only the bitter people that do.