+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Follica Update

Thanks! Does anyone know if Follica is in clinical trials as we speak? I have not seen anything on clinicaltrials.gov also what concerns me is that i dont believe their work is based on IPSC cells or embryonic cells but on epitelial cells can anyone confirm? What exactly is follica's technology or mechanism as one cant quite tell on the website

That new 21st century cure legislation might change all the FDA approval timelines. So whenever that starts taking effect things might go some amount faster.

In 2013 : "He adds that in both preclinical and clinical trials, “we’ve been able to consistently show that we create substantial new hair follicles in humans, and that’s something that no other approach in hair loss as far as I am aware has been able to achieve.

The new hair follicles are said to have functioned normally, cycled through the normal stages of hair growth and exhibited normal architecture, including a full complement of stem cells.”

At that time, they were testing FGF9 and lithium.
    I'm sure now they are testing the best compound of growth factors to apply on the skin to have the better results.
    They know timelines of others companies in japan,etc.. I'm sure they are silent and give no infos cause they have a huge thing to come, just my opinion

Skin pertubation + drug combination = our hair back

I think Follica has nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I think Follica has nothing.
    I think follica has someting ^^

As hellouser pointed out, Follica hasn't moved on that timeline. The last news was from 2 years ago. Since then the Board Member/CEO William Ju and Board Member/Co-founder Bernat Olle have left. Olle is still with PureTech but his linkedin shows he is no longer working with Follica. Last year Cotsarelis stated they had insufficient funds.

There is probably merit to the wounding theory. Recall the posts from needhairasap regarding lasers and campfire man. Years ago the big talk was a cancer drug that grew hair on a nose after being sunburned. Back in the 80's benoxaprofen regrew hair on sunburned skin too. It may not be the drug, but the degree of sunburn. Benoxaprofen caused photosensitivity as a side effect.

The main obstacle I see with the wounding theory, is how do you protected your IP? You can probably only patent the device that performs the wounding but someone can just make another device. That is probably why Follica was looking for a wounding + drug protocol. They could at least patent the drug. That is assuming a drug is even necessary.

We don't know for the timeline. Follica could be in phase 1,2 or 3, it would be on the same position on the puretechs pipeline website

When in 2013 they said they already successed to grow hair follicles in human clinical trial, I don't think they were lying. And that was with lithium bullshit^^
    I think they're testing fgf9 and all the growth factors we are aware from now, and try to find the best effictive drug to apply after wounding. But of course it takes months to see if the hair grow naturally, with cycles, etc, etc..

But i definitly believe in that protocol. Maybe the 21st century cure bill could speed up a little bit their future trials

Follica said back in 2013 that they are "very close" in unleashing a product that will end the dreaded comb-over.

It's been almost 3 years..

Your move, Follica.

At this point, I kinda wonder if Follica is even planning on releasing something

They look like one of those companies that are just based in research, hoping that a bigger company sees something commercially valuable in them and would buy them

I mean, Cotsarellis is involved in something with bigger chances of success right now