+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyBird View Post
    Based on the science I have looked over, I am more interested to see what a combination of a strong DP2 receptor blocker, upregulation of PGE2 and PGF2 alpha in combination will do over time. We do not yet know the extent of the ability of prostaglandins to reverse the balding process. It could be a total reversal is possible, perhaps not. If the stem cells are intact you just have to turn them on.
    This is also what has me so interested. I think it is much more likely that we will first bring our own hair making "factories" back to life than we will be likely to make new ones all outside of our bald scalp and put them back in. There are a lot of interesting correlations with the prostaglandin deregulation theory. PGDS is androgen responsive. The coded protein only spikes during the regression stage a hallmark of AGA. I know it is only a mouse, but I think it is very important that one thing (over expression of COX-2 ----> way more PGDS and PGD2 as a result) exactly copied the AGA phenocopy of BOTH the enlarged sebaceous glands with miniaturized follicles. You don't see the bad androgen receptor gene and AGA line up 100% (although it is very high) which makes me think that something else is the main culprit which indirectly acts with androgen's. PGDS is also mildly expressed in the dermis where the dermal papillae are, so maybe PGDS coded PGD2 proteins through interaction with androgen's are what is causing the premature dermal senescence and cutting off the ability of the dermal sheath cells around the bottom of the follicle to reproduce healthy new dermal papilla. Prostaglandins play a major roll throughout almost all tissues of the body. This would explain why the phenotype of AGA is so broad. If it was all dermal papillae and its interaction with androgen's you would see not only a bad hair shaft but a bad outer and inner root sheath as they are also in contact with the dermal papilla and are instructed to grow by it. You see normal outer and inner root sheaths in AGA. Only the actual hair shaft and sebacious glands are way off.

I also think it speaks volumes the silence that is coming from Follica which I thought had pretty darn sound science, and Cotsarelis, the man behind the PGD2 science is involved with. And he has thrown his eggs into the PGD2 blocker publicly, maybe knowing more about what he thinks it will do than he is letting on. Notice how follica posted a the youtube video of his PGDS/PGD2 presentation last year on their webpage.

No.

You are a NW3 though assuming you can maintain your hair and have good hair characteristics you can get a HT and call it a day.

I think even if we get a finasteride-equivalent (WITHOUT any side effects) within the next 5 years, that would be a huge success

Quote Originally Posted by barfacan View Post
    I think even if we get a finasteride-equivalent (WITHOUT any side effects) within the next 5 years, that would be a huge success
    You're joking right? That's insane. So in 2020 we will have something that barely works if your lucky.

Oh, joy.

Quote Originally Posted by barfacan View Post
    God, never mind sides, if we could get something that replaces Fin and actually grows hair, that would be a huge success. I've been on Fin for 16 years, and while I guess it's slowed my loss (I'll never really know), it hasn't stopped it, and it certainly didn't grow any hair for me.

We may get nothing.

In 5 years, we'll definitely have new treatments for AGA on the market, which is a huge milestone in itself. Hell, we thought we'll have something by 2016 and it didn't happen! But whether these upcoming treatments will regenerate our lost hair is highly doubtful. A safe bet would be, we'll have alternatives to Propecia that are side-free by 2020 and by 2025 we may have full hair follicle regeneration available in clinics around the world. Unfortunately that is the reality and that's something you need to plan your treatment regimen around.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    In 5 years, we'll definitely have new treatments for AGA on the market, which is a huge milestone in itself. Hell, we thought we'll have something by 2016 and it didn't happen! But whether these upcoming treatments will regenerate our lost hair is highly doubtful. A safe bet would be, we'll have alternatives to Propecia that are side-free by 2020 and by 2025 we may have full hair follicle regeneration available in clinics around the world. Unfortunately that is the reality and that's something you need to plan your treatment regimen around.

Good points, Desmond. I have a similar perception about future treatments.

BTW, do you think that your current treatment will keep your hairs until 2020? If i am not wrong you are using only topical Fin, correct?

Thanks!

Hey Paul,

Yes I am on the topical fin atm, but I'm starting to get some withdrawal effects that is starting to worry me. Last few days, I've been getting pain in the scrotum and slight burning when I go to the toilet as well as increased libido! I'll make a post about it this weekend. At this stage I would hold off on the topical formula until I figure out what is happening with my regimen. No shedding has happened yet and my scalp feels pretty good. Maybe this is a sign that we are halting hairloss at minimal systemic effects or it is simply not absorbing well enough. I'd wait another month or so before trialling the topical formula I posted. Let's see how my trial pans out

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Iīm sorry to hear about the sides on topical fin. I have been using oral fin for 18 years and never had sexual sides, but i worry about the impact of fin on my emotional health. Thatīs why i have been using the topical version too since i reduced the oral fin to 3 x week for the last year. No change in the results.

I would love to stop fin until 2016 and start CB, but it seems that we still donīt know much about itīs safety.

Iīll check your report this weekend. I hope you get better from these pain and burning.