+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride and regrowth

Can anyone here tell me if they or anyone they know grew more hair with fin? My hair has been really receded for awhile and it didn't seem so bad it mostly covered itself up or a hat worked. Now I cut my hair short and it looks like shit. Maybe it's just because I cut it really choppy and layered but when my hair is wet or greasy I can see my scalp on certain parts under a bright light. When I first cut it I gelledit up and it seemed fine now it seems really bad like whenever I look at myself in a bathroom I see part of my scalp past my hair. I know only a percentage of people get regrowth but how many. My hair is literally right on a fine line between being okay and the point of no return and I'm scared to try fin because of the shed

Also fine more question I'm 23 now would my hairline looked like it did when I was 21?

These questions are impossible to answer with 100% certainty. Fin has been scientifically proven to reduce the amount of circulating DHT, which is the major factor causing MPB. If you are 100% certain you have MPB, this along side minoxidil is the ONLY thing that ACTUALLY works, with a level of certainty. If you are worried about the shed, it seems most people don't even experience a really significant shed. This along with the other, more significant, possible side effects should be thoroughly discussed with a good doctor. If you do shed hair on fin, it seems probable that would come back, even stronger, especially in the presence of minoxidil.
    That being said, I have read and seen a lot of success stories about fin. I have seen some that praise it and some that hate it. Given that you are young and have lost hair recently, your situation is one that can be benefited most by such a drug. Without it and minoxidil, you will steadily lose your hair until you are bald. The time that this will take depends on your genetics. In short, yes, it can bring back your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    These questions are impossible to answer with 100% certainty. Fin has been scientifically proven to reduce the amount of circulating DHT, which is the major factor causing MPB. If you are 100% certain you have MPB, this along side minoxidil is the ONLY thing that ACTUALLY works, with a level of certainty. If you are worried about the shed, it seems most people don't even experience a really significant shed. This along with the other, more significant, possible side effects should be thoroughly discussed with a good doctor. If you do shed hair on fin, it seems probable that would come back, even stronger, especially in the presence of minoxidil.
    That being said, I have read and seen a lot of success stories about fin. I have seen some that praise it and some that hate it. Given that you are young and have lost hair recently, your situation is one that can be benefited most by such a drug. Without it and minoxidil, you will steadily lose your hair until you are bald. The time that this will take depends on your genetics. In short, yes, it can bring back your hair.
    Thank you and do you really go dull bald if you start balding? It never just stops at a certain pattern like a nw2 or something

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi there Topback,

Finasteride certainly has been IMPROVING my hairloss.
    I did post a few pics on this forum.
    Check out my Thread- "Artista and Finasteride" which i began in August-2013.
    Go to pages 15 and 18.
    My 'before and after' pictures DO SHOW that my hair IS improving because Ive been using Fin'
    for almost 2 years now..
    I was especially surprised when i saw the improvement of my crown area!!
    Some time before that , My wife had said that she sees a difference at my back of my head in the crown area.
    I never really like looking at the back of my head-LOL so I never really knew just how much the improvement might be.
    Not until I took that later photo (while in my car lol)
    Here is my threads link~~ https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...nd-Finasteride

Let me know what you think Topback. Thanks

Thanks artista

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hi there Topback,

Finasteride certainly has been IMPROVING my hairloss.
    I did post a few pics on this forum.
    Check out my Thread- "Artista and Finasteride" which i began in August-2013.
    Go to pages 15 and 18.
    My 'before and after' pictures DO SHOW that my hair IS improving because Ive been using Fin'
    for almost 2 years now..
    I was especially surprised when i saw the improvement of my crown area!!
    Some time before that , My wife had said that she sees a difference at my back of my head in the crown area.
    I never really like looking at the back of my head-LOL so I never really knew just how much the improvement might be.
    Not until I took that later photo (while in my car lol)
    Here is my threads link~~ https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...nd-Finasteride

Let me know what you think Topback. Thanks
    You did that without minoxidil?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9777765/

According to that you get on average a little over 100 hairs per one inch circle on the vertex. As a reference, the baseline hair count was 876 in that area. You must also factor in existing hairs that got thicker when considering the cosmetic outcome, too.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

Here are a lot of pictures of what are good responders. There are many that aren't on rogaine listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9777765/

According to that you get on average a little over 100 hairs per one inch circle on the vertex. As a reference, the baseline hair count was 876 in that area. You must also factor in existing hairs that got thicker when considering the cosmetic outcome, too.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

Here are a lot of pictures of what are good responders. There are many that aren't on rogaine listed there.
    Was it 800 hairs total or 800 hairs per sq in?

Quote Originally Posted by topback View Post
    Was it 800 hairs total or 800 hairs per sq in?
    The 800 was how many hairs were in a circle one inch wide at the start of the treatment. Finasteride added ~120 new hairs inside that circle. It would have also thickened some of the miniaturized 800 hairs, too.