+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PRP system: Emcyte Pure PRP / Dr. Bernstein NYC

Has anyone had PRP done using the Emcyte Pure PRP system or at least had PRP done with Dr. Bernstein in NYC?

Also, how is the shed after your PRP...how much compared to a typical shed on minox, or fin/dut and how soon after does it kick in?

Also, for anyone who has had this procedure anywhere, please rate your results from 1 to 10, 10 being most positive and 1 being least. Also, if you could, state your stage of hairloss.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Blushark; 06-10-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo

I'm a NW3 with diffuse thinning. I had 2 PRP treatments with another Dr. using the best centrifuge for PRP(harvest machine). I had a huge shed up to the 2 month mark after my 1st treatment. Others have told me shedding on PRP is strange but I shed a LOT. But after that point, I lost next to no hair and started seeing peach fuzz grow on my hair line around the 4 month mark. Had a 2nd treatment at the 6 month mark, didn't shed after the 2nd treatment. A couple of months after my 2nd treatment the peach fuzz closest to my hair line started to gain some color but very faint and didn't get any better. Overall, I am not very pleased with the results for the amount of money I paid.
    I recently started using a dermaroller once a week because it does basically the same thing that PRP does, makes your body send growth factors to your scalp. To be perfectly honest, I'm seeing better results using the dermaroller once a week then I did with the PRP treatments.
    I'd rate my results with PRP at 3. It stopped my shedding but for the money I spent, not worth it.

Thanks Vic, I appreciate the detailed post. Sorry to hear it was a let down. From the few other posts and other websites, it seems there are more disappointing experiences than positive ones out there. I'll look into dermaroller...is there a specific size for the scalp?

Also, did you get back what you shed, or are you now thinner b/c of the PRP?

I'm using a 1.5. Trying to duplicate the dermaroller and Rogaine study that was posted on here a couple of years ago.

I did get what I shed back and some. Hair got a little darker/thicker. All in all PRP helped and improved my hair but way to expensive for the long term. I tried it, don't regret trying it, just know now that it's not worth it.

How much if you don't mind me asking, also what Dr and location?

PRP is different. IMO Dr. Greco seems to be the most knowledgeable. PRP treatment seems to be black magic. If it does work know one knows exactly why or how to duplicate the process. I went with Dr. Cole 7 months ago and I will go back in 3-5 months. I believe it was with the angel system. This time I'm adding Acell. $1800?? so if you got money to burn on hair loss then why not. I'm also 2 hours from Cole.

As far as pricing, it's best to call. Maybe the cost went down or up?

$1600 per treatment. I've found an office offering PRP with the Harvest centrifuge for only $950. Just goes to show how much prices vary. I called the Harvest centrifuge manufacturer when I was trying to find out why some offices charge as little as $400 per treatment when I paid $1600. I figured it had to be the cost of the centrifuge but was told their TOP of the line Harvest cost $10K so the prices these offices are charging for a PRP treatment is totally ridiculous. Some offices charge top dollar for a treatment yet use much cheaper centrifuges. 1 office I called was using a $1300 centrifuge and charging $1300 per treatment. Your outcome from a PRP treatment has a lot to do with how many platelets the centrifuge produces. From my research, the Harvest produces the most, like 10 times more then some others I researched. Probably why some people see no results at all, because the centrifuge their doc used was a cheap/low Platelet producing one.

Vic, When researching centrifuges, did you happen to notice where the Emcyte system was in the overall rankings for platelet concentration?

I hadn't but I just scanned over their website. It's a 2 phase system in 1. That's impressive! Used to need a 2nd machine to purify the PRP but they put it in 1 machine. They actually claim on their website the Emcyte is better then the Angel and Harvest.
    Did your doc tell you how many injections you'd be getting?

Vic:
    I had not gotten that far yet. I've been on fin/dut since April 2014, he wanted me to wait for the one year mark to evaluate any response to the meds. Since I have not seen any improvement so far, (just more thinning and shedding) I thought I'd dig deeper into PRP to see if it would provide any traction at all. Even 10% regrowth and/or stabilizing is worth $1500/ injection if nothing else works for me. Doctor B would still have to evaluate me now to see if I would be a good candidate for PRP.

Just afraid of how much additional shedding will occur, for how long, and what if those shed hairs don't Ever grow back! Trying to make a calculated risk on this one.