Topical Finasteride 0.1% Foaming Solution 60mL - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Topical Finasteride 0.1% Foaming Solution 60mL

Hi guys, I can't believe it's almost a year since I posted on this board. Oh how the time flies! I have to say I really missed this place and all the discussions everyone's having. It is definitely a very unique and invaluable community we have here Hope you've all been well and haven't allowed hairloss to get the better of you.

So lets get down to business

Firstly, please keep in mind that we designed this formulation for preparation in a compounding pharmacy, so it is much more difficult for a layperson to prepare due to the equipment and ingredients necessary for this particular dosage form.

The second issue I would like to point out is the dose. We based the strength on all the research papers available on Topical finasteride, which showed 0.1% is an effective dose comparable to oral finasteride. My personal view however is that 0.1% is far too potent and almost unnecessary for a topical formulation and will most likely lead to side effects we are desperately trying to avoid. So feel free to reduce it down to 0.05% if you want to be on the safe side. That is what I'm going to be trialing myself. So, finally, here's the formulation:

Ingredient List:
    1) Finasteride 0.06g
    2) Cetyl Alcohol, NF 0.9g
    3) Stearyl alcohol, NF 0.9g
    4) Cocamide DEA 3.60g
    5) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate 12-13%
    6) Potassium sorbate, NF 0.06g
    7) Methylparaben, NF 0.06g
    8) Alcohol 95% 6mL
    9) Purified Water 24mL
    10) Purified Water qs to 60mL
    11) Hydrochloric acid 10% Solution As required

Preparatory Instructions:
    1) Preparatory Step:
    A. Prepare a hot water bath
    Specifications: Temperature: 75 to 80°C

2) Powder-liquid preparation
    A. Incrementally add the Finasteride to the Alcohol 95% and continue to mix until dissolved.
    End result: Homogeneous liauid-like solution

3) Aqueous phase preparation:
    A. Using the hot water bath sequentially add the following ingredients to the Purified Water (24.0 mL plus processing error adjustments).
    -Potassium Sorbate
    -Methylparaben
    Specifications: Continuouslv mix until all solid particles have completely dissolved.
    End result: Homogeneous liquid-like solution.

4) Oil phase preparation:
    A. Using the hot water bath combine and mix the following ingredients together to form a homogeneous liquid-like dispersion:

-Cetyl Alcohol
    -Stearyl Alcohol
    -Cocamide DEA

Specifications: Allow the ingredients to melt together without mixing.
    Maintain temperature between 70 to 75°C
    End result: Homogeneous liauid-like dispersion.

B. Using the hot water bath incrementally add the homogeneous liquid-like solution (Step 2A) to the homogeneous liquid-like dispersion (Step 4A) and mix until homogenous.

Specifications: Allow the ingredients to melt together without mixing. Maintain temperature between 70 to 75°C

End result: Homogeneous liauid-like dispersion.

5) Phase integration:
    A. In the given order, sequentially add the following ingredients to the homogeneous liquid-like solution (Step 3 A).

-Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate 27-28%
    -Homogeneous liquid-like dispersion (Step 4B)

Specifications: Continuously mix.

End result: Homogeneous lotion-like dispersion.

B. Once homogeneous, remove the mixture from the heat and continuously mix at low speed until the temperature of the mixture reaches 30 to 35 °C.

End result: Homogeneous liquid-like dispersion.

6) Filling to Volume:
    A. Add additional Purified Water to the above mixture to fill to the required batch size (60.0 mL plus processing error adjustments)

Specifications: Continuously mix.

End result: Homogeneous lotion-like dispersion.

7) pH testing:
    A. Draw an appropriate amount of the mixture (Step 6A).
    B. Test the pH of the sample. It should he between 6.4 and 6.6.
    C. If the pH > 6.6, carefully add. in a dropwise fashiou the Hydrochloric Acid 10% solution to the mixture:
    1. Draw and transfer 1 or 2 drops of the Hydrochloric Acid 10% solution to the mixture.
    2. Stir for at least 5 minutes to evenly disperse the Hydrochloric Acid 10% solution.
    3. Re-test the pH.
    4. Continue to add the Hydrochloric Acid 10% solution until the pH of 6.4 to 6.6 is obtained. IMPORTANT: Do not allow the pH to drop below 6.4.

8) Product transfer:
    Transfer the final product into the tight, light-resistant foam dispensing container.

Estimated Beyond Use date: 30 days after preparation
    Storage: Keep at room temperature (below 25 C)
    Protect from light
    Shake well before use.
    Do not allow to come into contact with eyes/nose/ear/mouth.

Feel free to ask any questions guys. Again, I can only make this for you if you reside in Australia and can get a prescription from an Australian prescriber. If that is the case, then let me know in this thread and I'll keep you posted. For everyone else however, this is just a guide for you to provide to your pharmacist wherever you are in the world and they can try and make it for you.

Hope this has been helpful

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Good to see you back on the Forum Desmond84

Thanks a lot for this guide ! Sad to know we cannot buy online if no Australian

I think it will be expensive to reproduce this topical finasteride by a pharmacist !
    Better to see the hasson and wong or the Susan's topical !

Hey Desmond can you say the approximate release time of topical fin?
    Sorry if I'm the 100th who asks this

Does anyone know a reliable pharmacy in the U.S. That will be able to reproduce this formula?
    I'm assuming we will have to provide the fin which is not necessarily too complicated... The hard part would be to mix it in a professional manner

Won't this just go systemic anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Good to see you back on the Forum Desmond84
    Artista How have you been brother. How's piloscopy coming along? Hope all is well

Quote Originally Posted by Seuxin View Post
    Thanks a lot for this guide ! Sad to know we cannot buy online if no Australian

I think it will be expensive to reproduce this topical finasteride by a pharmacist !
    Better to see the hasson and wong or the Susan's topical !
    Yeah it will be costly. But if it gives people less side effects (fingers crossed) I suppose it's worth it. I was planning to switch to CB-03-01 this year, but Kane was asking for $300 to supply 1 month worth of CB which made it too far out of my price range. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this topical Fin formulation instead. Hopefully it gives everyone a safer option especially those prone to sides. Only time will tell and it seems we have to wait till 2018 anyways for topical CB :P

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchHairWontKillYou View Post
    Hey Desmond can you say the approximate release time of topical fin?
    Sorry if I'm the 100th who asks this
    Sorry but I'm guessing you're asking about its absorption into the dermal layer? We haven't done any actual human trials on this formulation as you probably have guessed but I would think it should be reaching the dermal layer within one hour. Once it's there it forms an irreversible and inactive enzyme complex with type II 5 alpha reductase, the enzyme responsible for producing DHT in the scalp and miniturisation of hair follicles in men with AGA.

I'm actually trialling this formulation on myself and will keep a log for you guys to review

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    Won't this just go systemic anyway?
    As a general rule, approximately 10% of any topical product makes it to the systemic circulation. So, lets assume that a single application would contain approximately 0.25mg of Finasteride. Now if 10% of that makes it into the systemic circulation, we are looking at 0.025mg of fin entering our circulation. In the Phase 2 "Dose-range finding" studies of Propecia, doses below 0.04mg affected the plama DHT in a very similar pattern to placebo (close to none). I've attached the chart to this post for your reference However, we are significantly lowering scalp DHT (~ by 50%) by applying it directly to the site of action thereby preventing follicle miniturisation while mitigating side effects, at least in theory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Single dosing.jpg

Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	39902  

Default Topical Fin Log - Entry 1

OK guys, so I made one batch for myself this week and applied it on Friday. I'll keep a log of myself on this thread for you guys to follow as well.

So, first of all, 2012-2014 I took 0.25mg of Oral Finasteride TWICE A WEEK with very good success. I did experience a range of side effects which eventually wore off over the course of 7 months. You can find that story in the link below

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...tory-so-far...

Earlier this year I decided to increase my dose to 0.25mg THREE TIMES PER WEEK just to be on the safe side since I was no longer experiencing sides anyways. I take a QUARTER of a 1mg tablet on Mon, Wed, Fri each week. So, that's what I've been on so far.

This week, instead of my Friday dose I applied the topical foaming solution for the first time and I am glad to say that it seems to have worked. Here's how I was planning to gauge its efficacy. As many fin users know, once you skip your fin dose more than 4 days, your scalp feels tight, your temples (balding areas) get extremely itchy and shedding suddenly sets in. At least these were always the symptoms I experienced when I ran out of Fin and didn't get a chance to fill my prescription!

I took my last oral dose on Wed morning and it is now exactly 4 days post oral fin. There is no itch. My scalp feels great and there's no shedding at this point.

Dose applied:
    TWO actuated pumps applied. One dose to the temples. One dose to the crown.

My theory is the local scalp circulation should carry it to the mid section anyways and the less you apply the less systemic sides you'll get. I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Desmond

Oh Btw, with regards to the cost:

This should cost around AUD $75.00

The ingredients cost about $30 per bottle, and it takes approximately 1.5-2 hours to prepare, so most Pharmacies generally charge you $30-40 for labour costs. If they're asking for more shop around guys.

Cheers.

I will let you know how long would a 60mL bottle last. I'm hoping at least 2 months since we are only applying three times per week