+ Reply to Thread

Default Went to Bosley (not many local options) for a consult, need to figure out whats next

Quick background. 30 years old male, starting noticing thinning around 22 yr old. Much more noticeable hair loss on the right temple vs the left. When hair is grown out its very frizzy, weak and downright gross looking. Can style to cover most but sunlight or bright light exposes scalp. Picture attached is shown after gel was in, then a hat was on later and finally dampened (causing it to clump a bit) which would be at its worst. Without sounding like a jerk, finances aren't too big a concern when it comes to picking an option unless we are talking 10k more for one option over the other (both being effective).

The Bosley rep suggested that we do the strip method vs FUE. She said with FUE the most they recommend is 1000 grafts and I believe my estimate for full coverage was around 1800. She said the strip leaves a scar thats very rarely visible depending on hair style vs FUE which simply leave a bald batch from the donor area. She was really, really deadset against FUE. She also did not like Rogain as she said it was only effective as long as you kept using it regulary and if stopped, could cause more balding than seen before. Estimate was around 10,500 dollars but they run promos that could bring it down below 9k or below.

Was what she said pretty true? In this case, if I was going to opt to do a surgery what would be a good next step.. Visit other Drs (located in Sacramento area) or keep researching online? Its a bit overwhelming online.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	39830

If money is no object then you should go to a transplant surgeon that is part of the IAHRS. Even if it is out of your way, it will be worth it to go with someone that is known for doing quality work.

I don't think a single person on here would EVER recommend Bosley, EVER! I don't think a single person that has done thorough research would ever recommend them. I didn't do my research. I wanted a quick fix and thought everything would be simple. I went to Bosley and the results have almost ruined my life. BE VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY CAREFUL MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen a decent review from them and most repair cases from real doctors are from former Bosley patients
    I wouldn't get one with them even if they pay me to get it
    This is a mayor life decision so there is no such a thing as too much research

and yes, they run "promos" the same way everything at art van is always "on sale"... and no, she didn't want to do FUE probably because FUT is much more profitable for them, in a respect that it's way easier. And... $10k for 1800 grafts from Bosley is comparable to shooting yourself... AND, only 1,000 grafts possible from FUE?? Maybe with her technique... AND AND AND DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO IT!!!... don't mean to be to aggressive here, haha... but, as a former patient of this corporation, I feel I have lost a lot, however, have also been granted with this responsibility to inform people about them.

god dude please do ur research! steer clear from those hackers! find a quality FUE surgeon. I wud look at Dr. Vorhies in south carolina. he is the cheapest guy I've seen in the US that is producing some outstanding results. or just go to Europe like the rest of world does wen they want a quality HT at an affordable price.

Default Went to an IAHRS Dr after Bosley consult.. IAHRS or bust now but need an opinion.

Didn't see any of the responses after the first one but I took the advice of everyone and went to an IAHRS surgeon -- Dr. Sara Wasserbauer. Pricing was actually very comparable, if not the same. The representative did echo many of the same thoughts as Bosley however... FUT was a much better option for me compared to FUE. He estimated the could do either a 2,000-2,500 procedure at $10500 or a 2,500-3,000 graft procedure at $12500. It sounds like the difference would be in the crown. The big difference was the reaction to propecia. Bosley was very adamant against it because of the sides, where Wasserbauer's rep was like you need to get on it ASAP. He even said that she would not even perform anything near the crown unless I was on propecia (in order to insure I dont end up with a noticeable patch of permanent hair in the back with balding all around it.

I took propecia for 6 months about 5 years ago and could not tell specifically if I had sides but part of me thinks there were some issues with sex drive (though I was building muscle, one thing I'd assume would not be possible if I experienced sides). I know the propecia topic is its whole own subject but has anyone done a full transplant and stayed off propecia with good results. It sounds like the options are - Just do the front/top and let the back go the way of nature, do the entire head and take propecia or do the entire head and stop with propecia and possible do more procedures to take care of any embarrassing patching on the back.

Here's the thing man... what they call "shock loss" or the more severe telogen effluvium, can cause hair to shed, sometimes very drastically after an HT. I know, I have been through this. many of them never returned. If I had BEEN on propecia, perhaps they would have had a much greater chance. Also, you are not completely bald yet... so... what's going to happen down the line when you lose the rest around the hair transplants? it will look funny. So, I think any responsible HT surgeon is trying to evaluate how much stability your hair has in the longer term, so you don't have to repeatedly come back for surgery after surgery and that you don't end up looking weird, like I do.

Thank you for the reply and I agree, that would be a concern. It sounded like everything but the crown wasn't a huge concern as the baldness would not look as weird. I guess its a bit of a catch 22.. do it now and not have it look as drastic or wait a bit and cut down on the amount of procedures.

having said that, it looks like you are definitely a good candidate for an HT. What does your head look like with the hair pulled back or shaved? I would recommend saving up as much money as you can and going to a REALLY good doc for a megasession.